Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two years of complimentary data connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I just thought about, thinking of the Key Fob thread I am on, is what if you decide not to go with a data plan, does that mean your primary method of getting into the car (Phone) is gone? Well I guess it would still unlock with bluetooth but they are saying if you don't purchase this 3rd party data plan you cant use any of the app features with your car? Ouch.

Another nice surprise for Model 3 buyers. o_O

Reactions: Gtosnipey
I suspect that is about to change for all new production.

Two people earlier in the thread state that they've already used their phones as mobile hot spots for their Model Ss. So apparently the support is already there.

Doesn't help though when, say, your car is charging and you're somewhere else wanting to check up on the progress. Since your phone either isn't in the car, or it is and you don't have it so can't use the app either way.

Last edited:
The car is just a client for the hotspot. You need to have a phone with hotspot enabled, The car isn't doing anything other than be a client, as it does with home wifi.

And? That's the whole point, you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot, and thus your car can have net connectivity while you're in it.

Now, connectivity while you're not in it... I guess if you're parked at home within range of your home wifi, but it doesn't help when you're charging at a charging station.

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't auto connect to wifi while you are driving. This is a security measure introduced in 8.0 to hinder malicious hotspot attacks. Further, every time you shift into drive, it automatically disconnects wifi.

You might want to argue with the people that say that they've done it and it works just fine.

This is false, at least with recent updates / recently produced S's. Used a Wifi hotspot from a phone due to poor AT&T signal while driving.

And I have used my phone as a mobile hotspot, serving wifi to my 4/2015 P85D, occasionally since July 2015. Works fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
So, if it's determined these images are true, I'm seeing it from another side. I think they're using poorly worded language to describe a LTE to WiFi hotspot like they're putting in cars lately. With the PUP, you get 2 years of free hotspot. Without the PUP, you don't. Regardless, Tesla data (Map, Telematics, Slacker, Control) would still be the same.

Anyway, that's what I think it means.

Not sure you could have two separate LTE connections (one for Tesla and one for the car owner) without a major rewrite of the firmware AND some additional communications hardware in the vehicles. I don't think two separate LTE connections can simultaneously share the existing LTE hardware in the vehicle without major changes at the AT&T end... but I could be mistaken.
There would only be one connection - there’s no reason they couldn’t disable specific features (ie, web browsing, internet radio, etc) if you don’t pay while still allowing things like updates and remote app access. Makes sense from AT&Ts perspective too - they can charge less if the only features enabled are relatively low bandwidth. Tesla picks up the tab for those and the user pays for things like music streaming. At least, that’s my hope - it would really suck if things like remote app access and navigation required a monthly subscription.
Model S and X owners will pay as well. I'm a year into my four years.
I’ve seen a bunch of different time frames quoted by S and X owners - it appears that Tesla hasn’t been very transparent on the time frame for making current owners start paying.

There is an FM radio, there is also internet radio. Lack of connectivity would only affect the internet radio.
Navigation is included in the base model so I assume map updates would be handled automatically and at no charge. Lack of data would only affect internet radio and the web browser.
Is there AM radio? Also are the maps all downloaded into the car and just updated when at home wifi? Or is it always using data and downloading every time you drive?

Is there AM radio? Also are the maps all downloaded into the car and just updated when at home wifi? Or is it always using data and downloading every time you drive?
The electric motors cause interference with AM - Tesla (with the X) and BMW (with the i3) both have dropped it.

I don’t know for sure about how new maps are downloaded. From videos I’ve seen of the S navigation it looks like it’s downloaded as needed but someone else probably knows for sure.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
What I just thought about, thinking of the Key Fob thread I am on, is what if you decide not to go with a data plan, does that mean your primary method of getting into the car (Phone) is gone? Well I guess it would still unlock with bluetooth but they are saying if you don't purchase this 3rd party data plan you cant use any of the app features with your car? Ouch.

The Tesla phone app uses Bluetooth.

I’ve seen a bunch of different time frames quoted by S and X owners - it appears that Tesla hasn’t been very transparent on the time frame for making current owners start paying.

Last I heard 3 1/2 years ago was that I would have to start paying January 2018. I haven't heard any recent updates or details on that.

It looks the the situation for the 3 is just as unclear.