Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two years of complimentary data connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like you can plan on paying for data after year 2. The current AT&T costs for other vehicles is $20/month for 22GB and they throttle after that.

According to the one pic being shared it looks like it's only free with the PUP for two years otherwise you will be paying immediately. I think it's hard to say it will be $20/month though.

Model 3 supports wifi, right? So if your phone can operate as a wifi hotspot, that might be an alternative.

If you have to pay $20/mo for service then PUP is basically $4,5k, not $5k.

Last edited:
What pic are we talking about? I haven't seen anything referencing only 2 years of connectivity. That would just cripple the Internet Radio (no regular radio), the maps (which take up 70% of the screen), etc, etc.
Excellent point. Almost ALL cars come with some type of radio without paying a monthly fee. Can't imagine that Tesla would only put a radio in a car that requires Internet access that the car owner will end up paying monthly to use????????

As far as map and upgrades, those can be pushed through without the owner being charged for the data it takes to do it.

Tesla doesn't currently support an external WiFi HotSpot when the car is in operation. So this should get interesting.

I believe you mean a Tesla cannot be used as a wifi hotspot. But since a Tesla can connect to wifi, I dont see why or how the car would know its connecting to a wifi hotspot versus a home based wifi router, for example.

EDIT: I see, no access via wifi while the car is in motion. Got it.

Reactions: NerdUno
What pic are we talking about? I haven't seen anything referencing only 2 years of connectivity. That would just cripple the Internet Radio (no regular radio), the maps (which take up 70% of the screen), etc, etc.
There is an FM radio, there is also internet radio. Lack of connectivity would only affect the internet radio.
Navigation is included in the base model so I assume map updates would be handled automatically and at no charge. Lack of data would only affect internet radio and the web browser.

Excellent point. Almost ALL cars come with some type of radio without paying a monthly fee. Can't imagine that Tesla would only put a radio in a car that requires Internet access that the car owner will end up paying monthly to use????????

As far as map and upgrades, those can be pushed through without the owner being charged for the data it takes to do it.

Sorry, when I said maps, I meant both the maps themselves and the navigation portion that (correct me if I'm wrong) requires a constant internet connection to use with traffic info like they have now.

Sorry, when I said maps, I meant both the maps themselves and the navigation portion that (correct me if I'm wrong) requires a constant internet connection to use with traffic info like they have now.

I dunno. My Honda gets traffic updates and it doesn't have internet connectivity. I think it goes over radio signals.

That said, since we know the cars all have LTE to connect to Tesla servers, I can totally see how Tesla has a deal to push navigation and traffic data to the car. However, if you, the owner, want internet, then AT&T would charge you extra to use the data how you want it (streaming music, surfing the web, etc).