Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TX State tax 2% surcharge, when/does it get collected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
Model 3 AWD ordered. The process seems different now via the website but I wanted to check how things have happened in the past. Have you paid the 6.25% base sales tax only? Have you paid it separate and then need to cough up the extra 2% (is there anywhere in the State that doesn't have this "option" surcharge, anymore?) when you take possession of the car?

Bonus question, does there seem to be anything missing from this itemized list of fees?

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 10.06.20 AM.png

Unrelated: how's your solar production lately. I'm about to get on the roof for mine panel's annual cleaning as the year long dirt has cut me about 20%...

Ug, I live in forest. It's going to be an ongoing issue, I can tell. The tropical wave off Gulf really did a number on production late June/early July. But I'm still holding OK. I've been up once to clear it, after a big wind storm blew a bunch of pine needles and other trash on it. Wife got peeved I took one of the kids up with me but who's gonna hand me tools and run errands up and down the ladder? :p

What did they charge you for a cleaning? Do they use water, just a dry brushing, or something else?

Ug, I live in forest. It's going to be an ongoing issue, I can tell. The tropical wave off Gulf really did a number on production late June/early July. But I'm still holding OK. I've been up once to clear it, after a big wind storm blew a bunch of pine needles and other trash on it. Wife got peeved I took one of the kids up with me but who's gonna hand me tools and run errands up and down the ladder? :p

What did they charge you for a cleaning? Do they use water, just a dry brushing, or something else?

I do it myself with a car washing brush that runs water through the brush head. Mine are in a twin row so I can reach them all without too much trouble.

I do it myself with a car washing brush that runs water through the brush head. Mine are in a twin row so I can reach them all without too much trouble.
To get the 60 squeezed on my roof and still have a bit of room for expansion if needed, it's mostly in a big block. Parts I have to reach across 4 panels from the sides, and I've got 6 rows so coming from the top for a much wider section there. I tried an approx. 16' collapsing paint roller handle with a soft angled brush & sprayed on water, then attached a 20" wide high density foam squeegee to clear. I used just tap water last time but we have a bit of mineral in the water so might use a Bernoulli bottle w/vinegar to adjust the pH slightly to make sure I'm not leaving spots.

Was some fidgeting around getting technique down but it sped up a lot towards the end. Going to time it next attempt. Needed to figure out what I could reach, anyways, as we're likely adding another string and I wanted a better idea for figuring out placement of those (very tight to get in). It's been handling the house needs but doesn't look like it'll fully cover to daily commute over the year, too. Not covering needs and pulling the net difference off the grid really hurts ROI.