TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TxTag/EZpass

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dsm363, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. redi

redi 2013 P85+

Well maybe. I get a Zip-cash invoice about every 2 months because they cannot figure out between a 0 (zero) and an O (letter) on my tag (come on knuckleheads, how many options are there on a lookup). The invoice always has a pretty close-up picture of my tag.

I have to contact NTTA every time and get them to manually transfer my non-tag tolls to my account at the tag/time-of-day rate. (I'm sure they do this right, hmm).

You would think finding the right tag/account is something their billing system could figure out with relative ease.

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler We Are Cognitive Dissidents

Heh heh!
    So
    Which is it, Zer0 or Oh?

3. redi

redi 2013 P85+

#103 redi, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Its a letter O. But I think with the dumbed-down license plate "font", zero and O are the same character when the plate is produced. So I cannot imagine why NTTA would be fumbling the scanning of it since they'd have to look-up both ways anyway.

Oh, and I forgot to mention their latest attempt on a solution for the above: Issue me a 2nd toll tag (which rides in my desk drawer) with the tag as zero insead of O. They figured this would be the solution to the misread license plate. And for the most part it is. (Is the NTTA a government organization??).

...back to your regularly scheduled toll-tag discussion thread.

4. reddy

reddy Member

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell on a tollway whether TxTag was read by the tag, or by reading your license plate. I simply jammed the TxTag below the registration sticker on the drivers side windshield.

I already have tolls showing up from 2 days earlier in Houston.

Is there a code on the statement that indicates the method of reading?

5. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

I don't think you can, but why would you care -- as long as it's read and charged properly?

6. JMG

JMG Member

I don't have a tolltag on mine, but it's picking up and charging me appropriately based upon my license plate. My problem is when I go in other areas of the state (Austin, Houston, Loop around Tyler etc) where the NTTA tag is used as well.

7. taurusking

taurusking Member

Also NTTA is not charging any additional money to read the license plate. So its their problem if the Toll Tag is not being read despite our attempts.

However having said that...my toll tag account was suspended when I went to Love field airport because it could not be read.:eek:

8. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I tried 3 different transponders (thin tag, thick tag, black bar) behind my nosecone and none worked on the tollway.

9. CGW

CGW Member

It is interesting to note that when I applied for a TX tag for my new ModelS the menu does not offer an option to report your car as a Tesla. You can choose very strange cars, but not Tesla...my note to the agency is copied below.

I tried to add my new Tesla Model S and that car is not listed in your system. You have an "UM" but not a Tesla??? I had to list the car as "unknown"...very bad.

Their response follows:
    Thank you for contacting the TxTag Customer Service Center Support Team.

We appreciate your time and effort in contacting us. We have received your service request with regards to the addition of your new vehicle .We certainly apologize for any inconvenience you may have incurred during the process of adding your vehicle. Please be advised that in adding the correct License plate to your account you should not incur any billing issues due to the make and model of your vehicle, as your TxTag sticker is linked to your license plate number.
    Again, we want to thank you for contacting TxTag Customer Service.

When they discover that I opted not to install a front license plate...something will happen. Probably nothing good. I have not tested the tag yet, but I chose to install below the mirror so I guess I lucked out. I did not know about the windshield coating at all until I read these postings. I wonder if that is why it is so hard to get a streak free cleaning of the inside of the windshield.

I LOVE my new car, streaks on the windshield and all.

cleardot.gif Forward

10. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I have a car without a front plate, they know I don't have a front plate, none of my tags of any design have scanned correctly and I'm still eventually billed correctly without any intervention on my part. I'd say don't worry about it until it becomes a problem.

11. reddy

reddy Member

I thought there were cameras front and back for capturing both plates.

12. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

Same here. No front plate, no TxTag on car. My license plate is registered on my TxTag account and the cameras read my rear plate and associate it with my account with no issues.

13. mark

mark Member

I have no front plate and put the tag by the rearview mirror as was originally recommended. This rarely was picked up, but the cameras billed me correctly as you say for all of 2013/2014. However, several of us received a letter from NTTA last year say that we would be charged at zipcash rates if we did not get a working tag. That was when most Tesla owners switched to the black bar on the front grill or an exterior mounted sticker tag.

14. redi

redi 2013 P85+

I wonder why this matters to them at all? Surely they don't have some higher cost for humans manually matching-up the license plate scan to the NTTA account?

15. reddy

reddy Member

Which gets me back to my question. How can you tell if they are able to read the tag?

16. bollar

This is what I was alluding to earlier. I believe that a successful scan is posted within a few minutes, while unsuccessful scans can take days.

[TR="class: grouped-row-even"][/TR][TH="class: align-right, align: right"]
    [/TH][TR="class: grouped-row-odd, bgcolor: #F8F5EF"][/TR][TR="class: grouped-row-even"][/TR]
    Transaction Date/TimePosted Date/TimeTag IDLic PlateLane

07/23/2015 09:2507/27/2015 12:51DNT
    DNT-BELRD-02

07/27/2015 15:4907/27/2015 15:52DNT
    DNT-BELRD-02

17. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Do any of you Texas folks know if a NY EZ Pass will work in Texas? It is accepted in Pennsylvania and Delaware. Planning to visit my brother in Dallas soon.

18. bollar

Probably not. Our tags can be used throughout Texas and on the Oklahoma Turnpikes.

19. jlucero

jlucero Member

Tolltag Placement

went to my tesla delivery center, and they told me i have two options (in texas)

1. get the assigned front license plate bar from the toll tag office
    2. put tolltag on outside of window and cover it with a "tint wrap" or "vinyl black wrap"

has anyone done #2? of course i only need a small piece. anyone know where i can get a sample of this or buy something like this?

does this work?

3M Scotchprint Series 1080 Vinyl Wrap Sample

20. taurusking

taurusking Member

Hi jlucero

I encourage you to look at the Texas forum where there is extensive discussion about Texas Toll Tags.

I have had #1 done but it did not work and I went and returned the license plate bar also called as "transponder"

Chris is the one who has done vinyl patches and he should be able to comment on #2.

Currently I place my sticker on the inside close to the rear mirror base. It works 50-60% of the time.

But regardless toll reads the license plate 100%.

I hope this helps