TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TxTag/EZpass

Discussion in 'Texas' started by dsm363, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bryanng

bryanng Member

So just an update. I had tried putting my tolltag in the black area but it was never recognized. I moved it to the upper left hand corner of my windshield, which is where I had it in my previous car, and lo and behold, it is working and being picked up by every toll gate I have gone through. Haven't tried it at DFW or Love Field, but it's working for now.

Seems to be a lot of inconsistency as to what works for people but mine never worked in the black area to the right of the camera but is working now in the top left hand corner.

2. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Are these issues only occurring at airports?

I read on another thread that in Texas as long as you have an account with NTTA, they will charge the lower rate just based on reading our rear license plate. And the only issue is at the airport. Can anybody confirm this?

3. taurusking

taurusking Member

NTTA reads mostly my license plate and charges after reading the license plate. No difference in charging vs Toll tag sticker.

I have no problems with DFW airport but at DAL after using one time my NTTA toll tag account got suspended.

Called NTTA and had it re-activated and no issues since then.

4. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

5. Thundalicious

Thundalicious Member

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

No issues. It reads every time on the tollway and airport readers. There's even a little part near the rain sensor that gets hit with a wiper blade, and it's doing fine for ~2 years. The key is to make sure all the bubbles are out using soapy water and a squeegee or credit card. Since you have a newer car, the key is to mount it just left of the VIN window. The wiper blades won't touch it and it's much easier to apply without crawling all over the car ;)

If you're having a hard time with it and are ever in the West Plano area, I'd be happy to help install it.

7. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

FWIW, I just taped my tollgate over the black patch and went thru DFWE. No problem going in; had to back up a little an re-inch forward to get it to be read on the way out.

This is a December 2015 build.

(About to get my windshield replaced due to distortion, so I want to make sure the new one also has this spot on it...)

8. L.Robinson

L.Robinson Member

I'm using the NTTA bar on the front grill and it seems to read sometime and others its by the license plate. Maybe I should look into the outside cover for a tag. My Tesla was built in Nov 2015.

@gizmoboy - where is the windshield distortion? I have some across the very bottom of the windshield above the hood but the rest of the field is clear.

9. prasunshah

prasunshah New Member

Should I order the normal size one or the small size - I have a Model S and the wife drives a Model 3. I live in the West Plano area and would love to meet you and get your help in applying it

10. famelec

famelec Member

Is it necessary to mount the TX Toll Tag on the outside of the Model 3???

11. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

No, it works fine in the normal location by the mirror.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

In Austin, they USED to have a test reader at their MoPac office... Otherwise the test seems to be DFW airport. ;-)

13. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

Now that I have my Model 3's plates, I wanted to go get a TxTag ... but my only options are Model S, X, and Roadster. What the hell, TxTag, get with the times!

edit: Some googling, apparently I can just edit the page and submit anything I want : TXTag Question - Tesla Model 3 : Austin

Though I'd rather not do that, in case they get all butthurt about it later.

Does TxTag work at DFW airport now? It used to be they specifically didn't work with anything but NTTA tags.

14. jeremysmith214

You should definitely purchase the vinyl overlay. Great product