Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TxTag Placement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've "heard" some folks simply register their license plates so they can be read via camera at booths, keep their auto-payment information up to date, and never actually affix the tags w/ no ill effect (e.g. no extra charge). YMMV.
From personal experience, you can do this for a while but they will eventually contact you and incentivize you to put your tag on or they will charge a higher rate.

I placed mine just to the right of the rearview mirror (model 3). The placement isn't too distracting from my perspective. While I didn't really want to put another sticker on my windshield, I will often need to park at DFW and DAL so it is handy to have.

I deliberately put mine off-center. Normally that’s the kind of thing that would trigger my OCD, but my real goal is that it’s hidden behind the rear view mirror FROM MY PERSPECTIVE. So I don’t see it at all. If it triggers the OCD of the person in the passenger seat…not my problem.

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
This is what happens when you don’t run a tag. Been running one for some time now. I guess I’ll place mine (clear tape) for a little while and then take it back off till I get another letter
CCF2D936-0CBE-4217-BFD9-A2A5E8122FDA.jpeg

So I’ve decided the best placement would be on the sunroof of the car in the center closet to the front. Not sure if it’s reading it but I would assume so instead of it looking off center on the front windshield

I've "heard" some folks simply register their license plates so they can be read via camera at booths, keep their auto-payment information up to date, and never actually affix the tags w/ no ill effect (e.g. no extra charge). YMMV.

They should really make this the standard. There's no reason for the stickers. It's additional cost to them. I suspect it's due to money already being spent on the RFID equipment and a governmental stubbornness to not let go of it.

I've been running without a tag since 2006 and never an issue with getting overcharged. I've swapped countless vehicles and motorcycles on my NTTA account and all never has/had a toll tag physically on them.

Reason why is that at one point I had two toll tag accounts, HCTRA and NTTA, and the same license plate number listed on both. I had the HCTRA account before NTTA and forgot I even had it when I moved to North Texas.

When I moved back to Houston I noticed that my NTTA account balance would never deplete and then one day I received a letter from HCTRA said that the card I had on file was expired to reload my account. I called HCTRA and said that I don't even remember having this account and I have a NTTA tag on the car that's tied to the license plate number.

The rep at HCTRA told me that the plazas/exits/on ramps take a picture of the plate regardless if it had a tag or not. It runs the plate number through the HCTRA database first and if it finds an account then it charges accordingly. If it doesn't then it runs it through the other toll road authorities database (NTTA, TxTag, etc) and if it finds an account associated with the plate number it charges that account. The only usefulness of the tag is for parking at the airport, on ramps with the arms and parking garages. So that's why I removed all my toll tags when they switched from the sticker type tags and never put one up since 2006. Plus HCTRA used to charge you for each tag and NTTA was no charge.

• Informative
Reactions: TunaBug
I received my new TXTag yesterday and since my front window is tinted I decided not to stick it directly to the window. I placed the sticker on a piece of Saran Wrap and was careful not to stretch the Saran Wrap before placing the sticker on it because I didn't want the sticker to curl up.
We will see if it stands the test of the Texas heat.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I received my new TXTag yesterday and since my front window is tinted I decided not to stick it directly to the window. I placed the sticker on a piece of Saran Wrap and was careful not to stretch the Saran Wrap before placing the sticker on it because I didn't want the sticker to curl up.
We will see if it stands the test of the Texas heat.

We'll need updates on this technique :)