Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tying down cargo in the backtrunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there are any loops or anchors in the trunk of the Y that could be used to tie down cargo (e.g. a dog crate) to prevent it from moving around? I thought maybe there might be anchors in the two recessed storage areas on either side of the trunk.

Thanks in advance!

In case it takes a while for someone to get a Y specific answer ...

In my model 3, I put a 12" long strip of hook & loop tape (aka velcro) around each of the three lower child-seat-latch bars. Leaving the slack under the seat-backs and sticking into the trunk. I strung a 1"wide 12'long nylon webbing strap through those and leave in along the sides of the trunk. When I want to secure something, I put it down, push it towards the seats and buckle the strap. This keeps cargo from sliding back when I accelerate. As you realize, I rely on the seats to keep cargo from sliding forward during braking.

Alternately, I suppose could drive slower.

I've seen products on amazon for making attachment points, but they rely on drilling into the metal, which I didn't want to do as I don't know what's where, what effect it might have on water/rust intrusion, and I don't know how to best position anchors.

There's nothing obvious or built-in. You could bungee something to the tethers behind the seats but there's nothing to attach the other ends to. The side pockets have no loops in them. You might be able to use the top / bottom or side edges of the lower removable panel with the right ends - someone could create an accessory around this I guess.

IMG_4836.jpg

Reactions: Wattsisname
img_4836-jpg.524203

There's nothing obvious or built-in.
You could bungee something to the tethers behind the seats but there's nothing to attach the other ends to.
The side pockets have no loops in them.
You might be able to use the top / bottom or side edges of the lower removable panel with the right ends
- someone could create an accessory around this I guess.
I would like to carry a spare tire, so I will look under the carpet to see if there is any existing bolt or hole that I could use as an anchor.

Reactions: positiv
There's nothing obvious or built-in. You could bungee something to the tethers behind the seats but there's nothing to attach the other ends to. The side pockets have no loops in them. You might be able to use the top / bottom or side edges of the lower removable panel with the right ends - someone could create an accessory around this I guess.

View attachment 524203
That trunk is crying out for the side bins with their carpeted covers. I fitted Tesla's own ones. Very happy too.

Reactions: andaconda