TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Type 2 adaptor cable for >32A charging at public stations in EU

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ravng, Apr 30, 2015.

1. ravng

ravng Member

#1 ravng, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Since "type 2" is the norm here in Europe (single phase is just not good enought, so it's a good thing) I was thinking about making an adaptor cable to utilize the 43kw type 2 public chargers on my Roadster. Using Neutral and L1 it is possible to charge the Roadster at 230 volt at ~60 amps.

However, realising that this is more current that I have in my entire house I came to the conclution that "rebuilding" a 32A tesla plug was just not safe enough.
    So using my network of engineering friends I finaly got a company to professionaly create this custom adapter:
    IMG_1600x.jpg IMG_1598_x.jpg
    (picture while testing it on a 32A charger)

The wires are 10mm2 with type 1 in one end and type 2 male in the other end, since the public "fast ac" chargers has type 2 cable attached.
    Since I allready have "the can" (rated at 75A) I now have a portable adapter to bring with me on road trips.

Note that in EU the type 1 socket is only rated to max 50A, while in the US it's rated at 80A(?), so I will be monitoring it for heat the first times.

I payed NOK1500 for it (USD200)

Attached Files:

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Are you serious that nobody makes a Type 2 (male) to Type 1 connector that is rated for more than 32A? I have sold a lot of Can Jr adapters to people in EU and elsewhere and I assumed they could buy a cable rated for 63A. About USD 200 is a good price for that adapter.

3. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

4. ravng

ravng Member

I have not found a normal or a male type 2 to type 1 charge cable above 32A, at least not in europe.

Mark77a: Yes I've seen this, but I did not like the idea of modifiying cables on this current myself. So I got a professional company to do it instead, and the cost was really reasonable.

5. GVTesla

GVTesla Member

Tx for sharing!

Here a post to confirm that the manual Mark77a referred to, works great too. I used it some time ago to 'manhandle' a cable Henry kind enough to provide me with :) It now fits a 60A outlet perfectly and charges with no problem whatsoever. My charging habit is that I use those 60A stations only when, while traveling, some extra juice is needed fast. Therefore I haven't charged longer than 1 hour at a 60A station, adding approximately 80km/hour range. Mjummie! :)