Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 Mennekes cable pin blown!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
My cable no longer charges and upon further inspection L1 pin has blown on the Wall socket end of the cable!

Wall unit is ok as tested by another car

Is it under warranty? SR+ since aug.

Who would I phone as desperate as only cable I have and Leicester is well behind in rapids with cables attached. Most are Type 2 and you need a cable to charge
IMG_20191222_103341.jpg

My cable no longer charges and upon further inspection L1 pin has blown on the Wall socket end of the cable!

Wall unit is ok as tested by another car

Is it under warranty? SR+ since aug.

Who would I phone as desperate as only cable I have and Leicester is well behind in rapids with cables attached. Most are Type 2 and you need a cable to chargeView attachment 491386

Perhaps @Jeremy Harris has some knowledge on how to get these fixed?

I would suspect that Tesla must provide a 1 year warranty with the cables.

Who is your insurance with as some cover the cables as well ?

If its LV then your in luck, whether it counts as a claim I don't know
"Cover for charging cables, wall boxes and adaptors for accidental damage, fire and theft"

Reactions: davidmc
No idea about the warranty, but would guess it should be covered, assuming it's the cable at fault. The only real reason a cable could fail like this, from a cable-related fault, is if the crimped connection between the cable and the pin was faulty.

There's a possibility that the cable may have been fine, but that it was used with a charge point that had a failing socket. Charge point sockets that have reduced spring pressure to grip the pin in the connector are a known failure mode, so it's worth checking any that you use regularly for signs of damage.

Also, as I mentioned in this thread: Get your charge cables regularly inspected and tested! it's well worth getting cables checked regularly. An end-to-end conductor resistance check would probably pick up early signs of a failing crimped connection, from the increased resistance. Not much help for a nearly new cable, though.

Cables can be fixed fairly easily, as long as spare pins are available. The lead supplied with the car has no spare pins, though, as it's a 3 phase one, but anyone with a single phase cable will have two spare pins, as the L2 and L3 pins won't be connected to anything, so can be swapped over with a damaged pin. Unfortunately you cannot easily swap pins on a 3 phase cable, as they are crimped after they are inserted in the inner housing. Fitting the new pin requires a hydraulic crimp tool, with the right size mandrels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado and davidmc
No idea about the warranty, but would guess it should be covered, assuming it's the cable at fault. The only real reason a cable could fail like this, from a cable-related fault, is is the crimped connection between the cable and the pin was faulty.

There's a possibility that the cable may have been fine, but that it was used with a charge point that had a failing socket. Charge point sockets that have reduced spring pressure to grip the pin in the connector are a known failure mode, so it's worth checking any that you use regularly for signs of damage.

Also, as I mentioned in this thread: Get your charge cables regularly inspected and tested! it's well worth getting cables checked regularly. An end-to-end conductor resistance check would probably pick up early signs of a failing crimped connection, from the increased resistance. Not much help for a nearly new cable, though.

Cables can be fixed fairly easily, as long as spare pins are available. The lead supplied with the car has no spare pins, though, as it's a 3 phase one, but anyone with a single phase cable will have two spare pins, as the L2 and L3 pins won't be connected to anything, so can be swapped over with a damaged pin. Unfortunately you cannot easily swap pins on a 3 phase cable, as they are crimped after they are inserted in the inner housing. Fitting the new pin requires a hydraulic crimp tool, with the right size mandrels.
Thanks Jeremy

Will see what Tesla say first and will double check the wall unit at work . Not sure on opening up, will have to Google it. Is it possible to say swap L2 with L1 both ends? Rather than crimping?

Thanks Jeremy

Will see what Tesla say first and will double check the wall unit at work . Not sure on opening up, will have to Google it. Is it possible to say swap L2 with L1 both ends? Rather than crimping?

Sadly not, as the wires have to pass through the inner part of the pin housing, which determines their position, before they are crimped. The only way to do a bit of a bodge fix would be to take the connector apart and physically cut the wires and swap them over, making up reliable 32 A capable wire splices to the swapped pins. This would need to be done at both ends, to maintain the correct L1 to L1 arrangement through the cable. With the wires cut the pins and remaining lengths of cut of wire can be pulled through the inner housing and swapped over.

It's possible to do, as there's usually enough spare space inside the connector, and is probably an hour or so's work for someone that knows what they are doing to make such a repair. 32 A is beyond the current capability of most common crimp-type insulated cable splices, though, they are usually only rated to 20 A, so it means doing something like twisting and soldering the ends of the cables in the connectors and then using adhesive lined heat shrink sleeving to both insulate and make the splice waterproof.

If you have a branch of CEF locally, then they may be able to get you a new cable quickly. They stock Rolec branded Type 2 cables : Rolec EV 5m 32A Type 2 to Type 2 Charging Lead (EVPP0100) | CEF

My experience with our local branch of CEF is that they are usually pretty quick; being a trade outlet they tend to get stuff in that they don't have in stock within 24 hours.

[Edited to add:

CEF at Thurmaston have 2 in stock, although the Leicester central branch is showing no stock. Don't know how far you are from Thurmaston, though: Thurmaston Branch | CEF .]

Last edited:
  • Helpful
If you have a branch of CEF locally, then they may be able to get you a new cable quickly. They stock Rolec branded Type 2 cables : Rolec EV 5m 32A Type 2 to Type 2 Charging Lead (EVPP0100) | CEF

My experience with our local branch of CEF is that they are usually pretty quick; being a trade outlet they tend to get stuff in that they don't have in stock within 24 hours.

[Edited to add:

CEF at Thurmaston have 2 in stock, although the Leicester central branch is showing no stock. Don't know how far you are from Thurmaston, though: Thurmaston Branch | CEF .]
Brilliant, not far so can run by. Will have a look and call them

Leicester is well behind in rapids with cables attached.
Slight side note but was in Leicester last weekend and found this to be a bit of an issue, very sparse amount of chargers across the entire city - are there any rapid 50kw or higher at all? Polar doesn't have a single one.

Although after spending a day driving around the city going to multiple locations I only saw one other Tesla - Black Model 3 who parked next to me at Highcross who I briefly chatted to about trying to get those damn PodPoint chargers to work in there. Maybe that was you...lol.

Slight side note but was in Leicester last weekend and found this to be a bit of an issue, very sparse amount of chargers across the entire city - are there any rapid 50kw or higher at all? Polar doesn't have a single one.

Although after spending a day driving around the city going to multiple locations I only saw one other Tesla - Black Model 3 who parked next to me at Highcross who I briefly chatted to about trying to get those damn PodPoint chargers to work in there. Maybe that was you...lol.
Lol sorry not me but I do have a black M3 :) , but you are right about Leicester not having any decent chargers (only LFE on the M1 has Ecotricity and none of the CCS are working at the mo!) All others in Leicester are plug in Type 2 mainly 7kw which is a pain. Just waiting for the Tesla SC to be installed at these services which I hope is soon!

Lol sorry not me but I do have a black M3 :) , but you are right about Leicester not having any decent chargers (only LFE on the M1 has Ecotricity and none of the CCS are working at the mo!) All others in Leicester are plug in Type 2 mainly 7kw which is a pain. Just waiting for the Tesla SC to be installed at these services which I hope is soon!
I'm in Derby and at home for Christmas. If you're stuck you can borrow mine for a few days. I haven't actually used it yet!

I'm in Leicestershire (not too far from Thurmaston actually) and have a spare type 2 cable sitting in my garage gathering dust that you're welcome to borrow. I've sent you a DM (or a 'conversation' as it's called on this forum) to explain a bit more about exactly where I am.

I'm in Leicestershire (not too far from Thurmaston actually) and have a spare type 2 cable sitting in my garage gathering dust that you're welcome to borrow. I've sent you a DM (or a 'conversation' as it's called on this forum) to explain a bit more about exactly where I am.
Brill thats really kind of you, I may DM after boxing day if I don't hear anything. Just doing lots of planning to see where to charge that does not require a cable