Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 to type 2 cable as extension cable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

John Rogers

White LR AWD Mod 3 FSD AB
Feb 4, 2020
Tarneit, Australia
I have a Type 2 (Mennekes) to type 2 charging cable for use with untethered charging stations. It occurred to me that this cable should also work as an extension cable to allow my wall connector to reach my car when parked just out of reach. Unfortunately the wall connector cable and the type 2 to type 2 cable don't fully engage. There is obviously something preventing them plugging in completely. Is anyone aware of whether this is intentional, and if so is it for a good reason?

Literally watched a video on this yesterday by tesla Tom. Comments say that you have to physically modify to do this (cutting 10mm of plastic off surrounding shroud)

see Tesla Toms's comments, halfway down...
upload_2020-5-14_23-22-14.png

might be what you're after.

Thanks everyone. I can confirm that cutting 11 mm off the smaller plug that plugs into the EVSE allows a type 2 to type 2 charging cable to also work as an extension lead for when one is ICED. Don't unplug the cables without first turning off the power flowing through them.
Interesting. I have also considered cutting the excess plastic off, but have only ever used the cable once, and have never been blocked out of a charging station, so the thought remains just a thought bubble.
Have you used the modified cable in a non-tethered AC charger to prove that it still works for its original purpose?.