Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type2 charge cable conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a original Roadster charge cable that is broken.

Can I use the carside connector to make a Type2 charge cable?

Is there any guide to do it? I was thinking of buying a 32A Type2 one phase cable and cutting it on one side, and use the Roadster connector instead.

Is your plan to cut both cables and splice them in the middle? If so, you need to make sure that the splices are solid enough to not overheat, and you would need to house them in some kind of enclosure.

Or, if your plan is to attach just the Roadster connector to the Type 2 cable, then yes it is possible but not easy. There are instructions for how to take apart the Roadster connector, but you need to buy new pins to crimp onto the wires of the Type 2 cable. Those pins may be hard to get (long lead time).

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi and markwj
slcasner pretty well summed it up. I would strongly advise against trying to crimp a new cable into the Roadster connector, or splicing the cable for both safety and practical reasons. A better idea (but still not easy) would be to cut the existing Tesla cable off at the controller and crimp circular lugs onto the ends of the wires. Then you could bolt the lugs into the new Type-2 controller. Even this would be tricky to do safely and reliably, if at all.

My advice would be to use a regular Type 2 charging cable with a Type-2 to Roadster adapter. Simple, safe, and professional. But I'm biased, so you should probably get a second opinion from one of the other Roadster owners in Norway.

Disclaimer: I'm biased because my company sells a Type 2 to Roadster adapter rated for 70A that you could also use with the many high-power 43kW charging stations throughout Europe that will deliver 60 - 63A when taking long trips.

Disclaimer: I'm biased because my company sells a Type 2 to Roadster adapter rated for 70A that you could also use with the many high-power 43kW charging stations throughout Europe that will deliver 60 - 63A when taking long trips.
I have that, I did buy it from you in june 2020. But my type 2 cable is HUGE (32A 3phase 8m), so I would like a small option to have a small 32A one phase 2-3m cable, for charging at work or stations that need cable. The adapter is great for the stations with cable, or at home where I use my wallcharger for S&X. If the small cable get stolen, I still have my adapter, and don't get stranded.

if your plan is to attach just the Roadster connector to the Type 2 cable, then yes it is possible but not easy. There are instructions for how to take apart the Roadster connector, but you need to buy new pins to crimp onto the wires of the Type 2 cable. Those pins may be hard to get (long lead time).
That is what I'm hoping to do.

I have that, I did buy it from you in june 2020. But my type 2 cable is HUGE (32A 3phase 8m), so I would like a small option to have a small 32A one phase 2-3m cable, for charging at work or stations that need cable. The adapter is great for the stations with cable, or at home where I use my wallcharger for S&X. If the small cable get stolen, I still have my adapter, and don't get stranded.
I figured out who you were after I posted and realized you already had a CAN EU! Sorry for being a little slow!

There's really two different things that you need. A single-phase Type 2 cable rated for 32A so it's small for un-tethered stations. And a mobile charge cable to plug into electrical outlets.

You can buy the first item from at least one vendor. I can't seem to find the link but I've seen one-phase cables for sale.

For the second item, the UMC, is there a reason you don't want to use Tesla's Type 2 mobile cable with the CAN EU?

For the second item, the UMC, is there a reason you don't want to use Tesla's Type 2 mobile cable with the CAN EU?
I have 3xUMC and a bag full of adapters and extension cord, 1xRoadster Schuko cable, 1xBroken Roadster Schuko cable, Mennekes Type2 schuko charger 13A, Mennekes Type2 CEE charger 16A, 32A Tesla Wallcharger, 2xType2 3phase cables and the Type2 CAN EU. So I really do not need any chargers :cool:.

Schuko is the normal wall outlet in EU.

1619677524196.png

Since I have the broken Roadster cable, and I want a small one phase 32A Type 2 cable. I would like to make it to a Roadster spesific charge cable, to have the smallest possible cable in my Roadster. I do not see the reason to drag a UMC around, or any Schuko/CEE options except for a roadtrip in Europe. Type2 in Norway are like 500m apart or less (well at least at destinations, any destination). By having it Roadster spesific, it's less likely to get stolen, and if it does, I still have my Type2 CAN to charge at stations with cable.

Here you can find one phase Type2 cable from 3m -> 10m:

Any tips on where to find the pins to crimp? I can get the cables crimped at work. Just need to tell the electrian what to do.
Is there a guide somewhere?