Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical out of warranty repairs to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2014 S85 was covered by a CPO warranty and has now expired @ 75K miles. I am wondering what we should expect in terms of repair costs over the next 50K or so miles. I know we are covered on the drivetrain for a few more years but wondering if we need to anticipate expensive repairs like MCU, door handles, air suspension, etc.

Little under 2 years ago I bought a 2014 P85 with 65k and now at 86k. One of the dual chargers is wounded not allowing a full 80amps to fix it would be $2000.
TPMS module failed $600 though $200 of that was new in tire sensors which have to be replaced every few years.
Battery heater, $400 but they comp'd that.
Have suspension rattles I have not had diagnosed yet.
$700 in brakes parts from EV tuning did they labor myself,were not properly maintained, they need to be disassembled and lubricated annually.

A rwd car needs diligent tire rotation.

Love the car, but the "zero maintenance or repairs" line you will hear from some is a load of crap

Bought my 2014 P85D from my boss at 48k miles around 60k started hearing squeak from front pass wheel thought it was breaks ended up being wheel bearing, bought new from Tesla for $275 ish and swapped it myself (about an hour labor). Now at 78k pass door handle broke picked up kit from evtuning for $160 also did it myself in about 45 mins. Ive had both rear window regulators replaced by good will and paid for 1 regulator. Replaced instrument screen due to bubbles (Found used paid $150) change myself in like 30 mins (had to change circuit board as its tied to the car and didnt want to take in to have Tesla program. All of this in less than a year. Also front drive unit replaced under 8 year unlimited. With all that said I still wouldn't get rid of my car, I commute round trip about 100 miles daily and the cost of gas in Southern California high. I was spending about $450 each month on gas now I just charge at work for free and free super charging. Plus Autopilot for LA traffic is great (even though its AP1).

Dont be afraid to work on these cars they are not hard at all built like Lego's from what I have experienced. Items like the screen where Tesla wanted over $2000 for just look for someone parting out one and you will find what you need for a fraction of the price. I even found that wheel bearing for $75 used I just opted to get new as it wasn't outrageous for the part.

God bless my antique. Door mechanisms. I've fixed 3. Have 4 spares.
Will need screen this year. But, Draper told me, new soft part coming so we keep our MCU.
Motor blew at 132k. Under warranty.
My antique was assembled 6 jan with 2012 parts. The workmanship was great in those days. The guy that did my RF door signed it.

MCU = $3,400
Door Handle = $900 each
Air suspension - $1,200 each
Onboard Charger = $2,000
HVAC issues = $1,000-$2,500

Non of these are meant to go out, but if they do the cost can add up. Look us up as a cheaper alternative to Tesla's ESA. Cheaper up front, half the deductible, works around Tesla's service process and created by Tesla veterans and former managers.

www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Saxgod and neroden
FWIW, when I think of the cost of replacing the MCU, air suspension, and another couple of door handles, it looks a lot cheaper than buying a new car. :) I had the really bloody expensive stuff -- the rear suspension failures, the charger failure, etc -- done under extended warranty.

2015 P85 with 95k miles
  • Our onboard charger went out last summer: $2000
  • MCU: Replaced about a year ago as a courtesy
  • Three of the four door handles: One replaced as a courtesy just out of warranty the other two I rebuilt using parts from EV tuning solutions.
  • HV Battery died last month: Replaced under warranty.

Reactions: BoerumHill
Our 2014 S85 was covered by a CPO warranty and has now expired @ 75K miles. I am wondering what we should expect in terms of repair costs over the next 50K or so miles. I know we are covered on the drivetrain for a few more years but wondering if we need to anticipate expensive repairs like MCU, door handles, air suspension, etc.

I had a 2014. There were fairly regular small issues cropping up once/twice per year. Owning an early Tesla is a bit like owning a used BMW. You can expect some failures, and fixing them isn't cheap, unless you do it yourself.

A few of the problems: several door handles, rear drive unit, an MCU, leaking condenser on the cooling system, a steering gearbox, a charge port (twice). There were a few others. There was nothing crazy... but the car certainly wasn't maintenance free.

The newer ones seem better. My 2018 has been bulletproof - knock on wood. But I know that doesn't help you.