Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical Supercharging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We (and I mean "we" in the sense of Tesla and/or the Tesla community) need to come up with a sound bite that defuses the "how long does it take to charge?" question.

My answer: "Just a few seconds to plugin when I come home each night. By morning I have a full tank."

It constantly amazes me how many people don't realize you can do that with an electric car. So basic, so obvious. I suppose when you've been trained into thinking you have to go somewhere else to fill up each week it can be hard to imagine it could be any other way.

I think some people incorrectly view the Superchargers as the only way you would ever fill up, week to week, instead of recognizing they are a supplement to filling up at home when you're on long roadtrips. I mean, with an ICE you fill up at the same type of place no matter what, around town or roadtrip, right?

On the "How long does it take to recharge?" question that keeps being asked, I've found that taking the questioner through a parallel question of "How long does it take you to recharge your iPhone each night?" really helps. The light goes on as they realize it doesn't matter, as long as their iPhone is at 100% SOC in the morning. I save TONS of time and money not looking for and driving to the brand/price of gasoline I wanted to fill up with. I just plug in my car in my garage and don't even think about it anymore. Try asking a driver sitting in a long line at a gas station how long it takes to fill their tank. They're not going to be happy campers, especially if they're on a tight schedule. Wow, three Teslas just flew past you in line while you waiting for gas!

At the embassy with Elon. I asked if the current 85kWh battery can accept 120kW when empty. He said basically yes, but currently they're capping at 94kW but planning on slowly increasing this towards 120kW, perhaps stopping before if battery health suffers.

Rather than post a boring > 1 hour video, I plotted a graph for ya ...

View attachment 15279

Edit: This was done in ~20F weather so there weren't any effects of tapering the charge to keep the battery temps down.

Thanks Cinergi, I love the graph!

With Elon's newest announcement of the Supercharger being a max of 120KW, and tapering down much later in the charge cycle, I'd love to see an updated graph of how the charging goes. I'm guessing the light blue line will start higher (like around 325) and hold steady at around 325 for a much longer duration, dropping off more slowly. Is that what you think too?

I guess it depends how far the next charger or my destination is. I might need those 6 miles, so I'm not sure what else I would do, especially if I had a 60kWh pack. If the Superchargers are spaced at 200 miles apart and I have a S60, I'm going to need every electron, no?

No.

You slow down.

Your mileage goes up wonderfully for every 5 mph you slow down. People on the freeway seem to be able to handle someone doing 55 (truck speed limit, though trucks often go 60). And it is MUCH quicker than sitting waiting an extra hour for those "6 miles" extra you need.

Driving fast is way dumb when you are trying to get somewhere on a fixed charge. Fun, yes, but dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the distances between the California Superchargers are not spaced 200 miles apart.

I obtained the following mileages from Google Maps are based on the exact addresses of the Supercharger locations.

Folsom to Gilroy ...................................................169 miles

Gilroy to Harris ....................................................112 miles

Harris to Tejon .....................................................116 miles

Tejon to LA ........................................................... 91 miles

LA to Barstow .......................................................121miles

However, the distance between the Delaware and Connecticut Superchargers is about 200 miles apart. Personally I believe Tesla is not done with the Northeast section of the network and I expect another station between these two.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Having access to the actual Supercharger data I never really believed that it took 2 hours to gain 6 miles, but I am in favor of ramping back the rate after a certain period of time if necessary to regulate the behavior of selfish Model S owners. In other words, I thought we were debating in the hypothetical. You seemed to be making the case that you would remained parked there regardless of how low the charging rate happened to be.

Larry

The thinking here is amazing! You would go from Folsom to Gilroy why? To be able to go fast down the freeway? You will drive out of your way, spend an extra stop at a SC station because you like sitting so much at a SC?

It is 200 miles from Folsom to Harris Ranch. And 230 from Harris Ranch to Barstow. Here again, easily doable in an 85. I would prefer to slow down a teensy bit and go straight to my destination rather than out of my way to some distant SC station, sit there a couple hours, etc. etc. etc.

I understand that the words "slow down" do not exist in the American brain, but really, folk, you get there FASTER that way. It's true!!

Go figure.

@roblab

Could not agree with you more regarding your message to slow down on road trips.

My lifetime energy usage over 6000 miles is 380 Watts/mile in California (where the HVAC is not a significant power draw), so driving slow is not my thing.

But on a recent roadtrip, that required mountain driving (4000 ft pass from sea level), I was able to cover the route 197.6 miles, with 52.9 kWh, 268 Wh/mi - by travelling a consistent 55 mph. I just put myself on the slow lane and I got to my destination a little over 4 hours later.

On the way back, with more confidence, I did the return trip 196.8 miles, 59 kWh, 300 Wh/m - speed range from 55 to 65 mph and arrived at my destination about 3 hours and 40 minutes later.

This trip taught me a real life lesson on how efficient the Tesla can be if you slow down.

So I completely agree that it makes a lot of sense to plan ahead give yourself enough time to get to your destination while travelling at a slower speed. You'll counterintuitively arrive there faster by having to charge less. Additionally, you'll be able to make a quicker turn around, if you are limited by slow charging at your destination (for instance 6 kw/hr chargers).

Thanks Cinergi, I love the graph!

With Elon's newest announcement of the Supercharger being a max of 120KW, and tapering down much later in the charge cycle, I'd love to see an updated graph of how the charging goes. I'm guessing the light blue line will start higher (like around 325) and hold steady at around 325 for a much longer duration, dropping off more slowly. Is that what you think too?

I assume the time spent at max will be a lot longer, and hopefully the power line when it starts to taper won't be as pronounced.
I'll post another graph as soon as 120kW is available and I get a chance to go do it.

Your mileage goes up wonderfully for every 5 mph you slow down. People on the freeway seem to be able to handle someone doing 55 (truck speed limit, though trucks often go 60). And it is MUCH quicker than sitting waiting an extra hour for those "6 miles" extra you need.

Driving fast is way dumb when you are trying to get somewhere on a fixed charge. Fun, yes, but dumb.

I bought the 85 kwh battery specifically so I can drive dumb on the highway between superchargers.
Driving dumb in a Tesla is the part of the experience that creates the Tesla Grin.

I bought the 85 kwh battery specifically so I can drive dumb on the highway between superchargers.
Driving dumb in a Tesla is the part of the experience that creates the Tesla Grin.
I'm with Palpatine...............bought the 85 because i know myself.................55 on Nevada and CA freeways(away from major cities) just doesn't work for me................but Tesla grinning ALL the time!

I apologize. Driving "dumb" is one of the most fun things about driving a Tesla, and I heartily encourage it. I have been know to do 110 in a 55 while passing. Could be construed as dumb. But when you can do it so effortlessly, in such control, maybe not so much.

And if you want to drive fast, driving between superchargers, I should never have said it was dumb. If a person has a 60 kWh battery, it is probably even necessary. My mistake.

As long as it will get you to the next charger, that is true. I don't want to wait an extra 2 hours to get the 6 miles I need to (probably) get there, right?

I have a question with regard to battery degradation, superchargers and trips. Any advice?

Traveled Seattle to Palm Springs using superchargers. Roughly, say, 138-150 miles between superchargers. I charged to max range every time, but should i have? Didn't need to. Does charging to max range on long trips hurt battery life, or should i have set range to 80% say. Mostly just wanted 100 miles or so to next supercharger, no matter how fast was going, until the end, up and over Grapevine, traffic down to stop-and-go, one lane for paving, charged to 252 miles and got as low as 13 miles rated range before home. Was glad then that charged longer.

So, advice on longer trips, and supercharging needs/wants.

I charged to max range every time, but should i have?
Yes, you should have.

Didn't need to.
Yes you did. 20 miles 'extra' range is worlds better than a mile short.

Does charging to max range on long trips hurt battery life,
No, it does not hurt in practice.
It hurts only in pure theory and still no one can calculate how big this hurt really is.

or should i have set range to 80% say.
No, you did the right thing. Do what you can (full charge) and hope for the best (no surprise-route changes).

Mostly just wanted 100 miles or so to next supercharger, no matter how fast was going, until the end, up and over Grapevine, traffic down to stop-and-go, one lane for paving, charged to 252 miles and got as low as 13 miles rated range before home. Was glad then that charged longer.
That what I'm talking about.

Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law

I respectfully disagree with some of WarpedOne's answers. You should take into account typical speeds, terrain, weather and specific distances between successive superchargers before you pay the additional time penalty (and degradation penalty, if any) of slowly creeping from 90% to 100% SoC.

Given the following:

Gilroy - 111 miles (hilly pass and then flat terrain) - Harris Ranch - 110 miles (all flat) - Tejon Ranch - 91 miles (Grapevine with massive consumption for the climb but great regen on the way down) - Hawthorne

I was very conservative going out with 100%, 90%, 95% on my way out but, on the way back, starting at 80-odd % at each place was plenty for my S60 to make those jumps. And, while I clocked a conservative 295 Wh/mile from Tejon to Haw the first time and arrived with 80 miles to spare, I drove like a madman back through the Grapevine clocking 420 Wh/mile with 35 miles to spare. Did good time at 80+ mph on the flat sections too and a 50-mile cushion of the rated range over the driving distance was plenty every time.

As Cottonwood and others have suggested, driving as quickly as you can, to get to the next supercharger with as low an SoC as you can be comfy with optimizes both the travel time and the charging time (with the ramp up at lower SoCs) at the next stop.

Have to add that this was all with Calif.'s mild weather, of course. In colder climes, things have to be more conservative, I suppose.