Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Blow Out on 7 mth old Model 3 …. Not happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The separation of the entire sidewall is an indication of heat damage, generally caused by driving on a severely under inflated tire. In my youth I experienced something similar with a Michelin radial, but in my case both sidewalls separated and the ring of tread wound up wrapped around my rear axle. The tire failure was sudden, without warning, and at highway speed. Back then, radials commonly appeared under inflated compared to conventional tires.

I would think you’d have had a low pressure warning from your tire pressure monitoring system. Could you have had the warning and missed it due to the inclement weather conditions?

Anyway I’m glad you’re OK. Everything else is secondary.

Reactions: Laurdan
Sorry to see that happen. I had a similar incident of the tire ripping apart on my past Genesis coupe with summer low profile tires on 9” wheels. In my instant, I hit a good size bump at 45mph and the tire ripped the sidewall from the impact. I my situation I was the road and speed that caused the low profile tire to burst right on the sideway. Lucky I pulled over quickly before it mauled the rim.

You would be surprised with super low profile tire combined with high air pressure (36+) how little give the tire has when hitting a pot hole, big bump or running over an object. Also, if you hit a big bump before, the sidewall may have already been compromised and just driving alone at speed with heat in the tire could cause it to fail immediately. In the end, I just called it a day and got a new tire at discount tire the next day.

Reactions: Laurdan
Pirelli are far from a 'budget' brand and I would say that you have almost certainly damaged the tyre and compromised its integrity at some point before this incident.
There are many high end performance car manufacturers that use Pirelli by the way.

By the way, there is no fast lane, I assume you mean the overtaking lane, that being either lane 2 or lane three dependant on the type of dual carriageway or motorway that you were using.

Additionally, "lucky to be alive", maybe a little over dramatic.
Maybe? ….. but, it was a bad experience that I don’t want to repeat thank you

I’ll excuse the pun 😉
I know... I'll grab my coat.... I can sympathise as Ive had a blowout maybe 20 years ago and only that once in my lifetime of many fast cars and bikes. However the tyre was really old/ feeble. I won't get to engrossed in this but imho, Its unfair to say your Tesla is at fault to what happened. Maybe the tyre was faulty from factory and on the basis that Tesla (as a business) sold it to you, this might carry some recourse if you can prove it or it might be a case to sue the government/council for the poor state some of our roads are in.

Either way, happy you're ok 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.