Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
Just replaced all my Tyres and in the stress of getting out a car park in the Xmas queue, Kerbed a wheel and damaged one of the new tyres.

Arranged for the wheel to be repaired. But for the tyre it doesn’t look like a structural impact as is in a place where it won’t contact the road.

will glue be fine? Or does it need replacing ?

If impact was head on, then the potential is there that the carcass has been compromised. But……

……it looks like a glancing scrape? If no cords are showing in the flap, then you should be fine. It’s just the extra ‘rim protector’ rubber that you’ve caught. Take to MOT/ tyre place for an opinion, you might be ok.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
If impact was head on, then the potential is there that the carcass has been compromised. But……

……it looks like a glancing scrape? If no cords are showing in the flap, then you should be fine. It’s just the extra ‘rim protector’ rubber that you’ve caught. Take to MOT/ tyre place for an opinion, you might be ok.
It’s just a bit of bare rubber. No cords etc.

The problem is if I take to a tyre place I know what they will tell me to do 😂

Upvote 0
We had something similar a few years back on our winters. Took advice from here and went to an independent tyre garage. It was cosmetic, BUT, it was also only the big thick tyre protecting ring around the wall of the tyre only that was damaged so they said that it was OK. However you don't have that protector on those tyres - definitely get it checked out by a tyre professional, accept you may have a new tyre bill (or two if they need to change a pair) and be pleased if you don't.

Reactions: init6
Upvote 0
I have similar on my M3LR with standard aero caps. It’s a company car and the fleet manager wouldn’t authorise replacement of the tyre as it was deemed cosmetic damage as the cords aren’t visible.
A few folks have caught my attention to point the tyre damage out to me. It’s a bit annoying but apparently not a safety issue.

Upvote 0
Was sat behind a heavily loaded truck once on the M25 when it blew a rear tyre, wasn’t pretty for the truck or my underwear. Ever since I’ve personally erred on the side of caution with tyres.

What’s ~£250 for a new one weighed against a ~£60k car and it’s presumably priceless occupants?

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
Upvote 0
I'd replace it, but then we've got potholes that you can talk to the Aussies through around here so I'm biased.

It's quite a chunk missing. If it was just 2mm or so I'd personally glue it and leave it, but that looks like a blow-out candidate with the right pot hole to me, and then you're potentially dealing with a broken rim too..

Upvote 0
The sidewall withstands a LOT of pressure and any defect within it will significantly weaken the structural integrity.

Think about the weight the tyre carries and how many revolutions it is turning at when you are doing 70mph.

Some of the comments on here about it being ok just boggle my brain.

Get it replaced and honestly don't take the risk of a blowout.

Upvote 0