Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Goop/ puncture sealant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I’ve just received some to use in slow punctures on a couple of agri vehicles I own. The instructions explain that it can be used as a permanent preventative for the life of a tyre in any vehicle, whether tubed or tubeless and TPMS safe. I have emailed the Co to check specifically with foam linings since they also claim the stuff can be washed out if necessary - although I'd expect failure with washing out foam one could always strip it out. But you'd probably not need to do anything if as good as stated apart from regularly checking and removing any foreign objects stuck in the tyre.
Anyone considered preventively filling all tesla tyres?
GoopUK.com

I have some of this type of stuff for motorcycling 'off road' emergencies.

My concern is, if you pre-fill the tyres... and it works as advertised... you'll not know if you have a puncture. Which could lead to blowout or further damage if left unchecked.

Not all punctures are deemed repairable... so I think I'd rather know that something is wrong...

Reactions: andyf1140
The other issue... I just bought 4 new Pirelli PZero Electric tyres with Noise Cancelling System.

Look what's inside the tyres... so now imagine gloop rolling around inside all that foam padding, and realistically, how effective would it be?

I doubt it would even get to the puncture hole

20220512_122858.jpg

The other issue... I just bought 4 new Pirelli PZero Electric tyres with Noise Cancelling System.

Look what's inside the tyres... so now imagine gloop rolling around inside all that foam padding, and realistically, how effective would it be?

I doubt it would even get to the puncture hole

View attachment 803233
Indeed ... and that's what all the OEM supplied Tesla tyres are like inside. I have visions of the most appalling mess that nobody would be prepared to tackle (when it doesn't seal properly).

Reactions: PITA
I'm fully aware of the tyre insides - seen some of mine being repaired. The reason for considering this product is because it's fibre free and remains washable. Whether the particles are small enough to get through foam and work is why I'm hoping for a reply from manufacturers. Apparently you don't need any subsequent fix the stuff alone is enough? If a subsequent fix proved necessary then cut the patch of foam out after rinsing the loose stuff out.

Reply form 'Goop'

"Very good question, it's funny you say this as I personally had 2 new tyres fitted on my car a few weeks ago which had foam linings in, which I was not even aware of until then. (Continental) so I'm not entirely sure as to whether it will or won't work. It's a bit of a tricky one to answer as it's never been tested as such. I'll have to see if I can get hold of a used one and an old wheel rim from a garage and test it out. I'm guessing due to it being a sponge as such that it would probably absorb the solution though being a liquid and possibly prevent it from working in the way it's designed to work. Taking a guess I'd say that it probably won't work in the same way as the sponge will I'm sure absorb a lot of the Goop. It's not something I'd ever thought of personally or had brought to my attention either until now. I'll see if I can do some investigating and testing to see how it fares if I can get a used one to try it out on. So unfortunately I wouldn't really be able to answer that one I'm afraid, you've got me there"

They aren’t exactly quiet cars. Has anyone compared in-car noise levels with and without acoustic tyres? How about putting the equivalent weight of sound insulation in the wheel arches and having normal tyres?
Subjective comments seem to range from any differences being small to not noticeable at all. The character of the sound has been noticed rather than the overall sound level. I haven’t read any posts yet of anyone regretting buying tyres without the foam liner. My winter tyres don’t have the foam liner and from inside the car are quieter than I expected. As with the OEM foam lined tyres they sound very different on different surfaces.

Reactions: Mrklaw