Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressure alert this morning - all values the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got some DeWalt cordless tools and probably a few too many batteries. So I bought the DeWalt compressor and just reuse a spare batteries that I change when I swap the winter/summer tyres - it can also work from 12v at below the continuous 'fuse' rating. I've used it to inflate (smaller than Tesla tyres) from scratch and no issues. It gets a full workout twice a year when I swap winter/summer and is pretty much spot on with the TPMS. A quality piece of kit but at a price. I certainly would not want to be buying it and a battery. The only down side is its quite big and slides around in the boot in its box.

I paid £105. Its slightly gone up in price.

What is the correct psi for the newer cars. Early M3's was 42, but I am sure that I read somewhere that the additional test range came partly from tyre pressure change - 45psi? ie what is written on the sticker on inside of passenger door frame and whilst anyone is looking, what is the max occupant and cargo weight and what car/wheel spec do you have?

What is the correct psi for the newer cars. Early M3's was 42, but I am sure that I read somewhere that the additional test range came partly from tyre pressure change - 45psi? ie what is written on the sticker on inside of passenger door frame and whilst anyone is looking, what is the max occupant and cargo weight and what car/wheel spec do you have?

42psi on the sticker on my LR 2021 refresh model, with WLTP of 360 miles.

Max combined weight of occupants and cargo is 375kg

Wheels are 18", so 235/45 R18.

I don't believe the TPMS is that accurate, at least on my 2019 M3P. I used to note that the tyre pressure reading was lowish, e.g.39, 40 psi, when they start giving a reading within the first couple of miles. However when I checked the pressure with my TUV approved tyre gauge the pressures were bang on 42 psi, which is what I manually set them at. I also used to get substantial differences in the pressures between different wheels.

I have found the way to get more accurate readings and less variation is to manually set the tyre pressures when they are cold to the desired pressure, making sure there is no direct sun on any of the wheels which will heat them up and raise their pressure, then do a reset and go for a drive. I believe the reset process takes a reading of the pressure at that point and equates it to 42 psi, but I may be wrong!

I had a surprise today having just gone a few miles to my local Aldi for a shop and charge at their free 11kW bays.
On driving home again I got the orange tyre pressure warning - all tyres had dropped to 36psi and the front offside tyre was coloured orange.
Local temperature was down to 4ºC and must admit I've not checked tyre pressures for ages.
Along with a skinny spare wheel in the boot I also have an electric tyre pump so when I got home I pumped all the tyres back up to 42psi.
Not driven since so don't know what the car thinks of the pressure now.

I had huge difficulty trying to get the tyre pressure display to show - 'swiping right' just spun the car picture - I ended up asking "show tyre pressure" and it actually worked!

I had huge difficulty trying to get the tyre pressure display to show - 'swiping right' just spun the car picture - I ended up asking "show tyre pressure" and it actually worked!
Yes, you need to swipe across as far down the screen as possible. Poor UI design IMO, you shouldn’t need to be take precise, especially when you may be driving.

After a few slow punctures I always keep the pressure display up in my S, 45psi recommended. I've had to up the pressure twice now as the colder weather has arrived - they’d dropped to 42psi about 4 weeks ago and have done so again yesterday at 3C but running temp was 47psi. Time to tickle them up again.