Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressures ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best to read the tyre pressures soon after setting off, when the tyres are still cold, make a mental note of how far off the pressures are, say for example 2psi too low. Then when you get home, or to a tyre machine, whatever the current pressures are, just increase them them by 2psi.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Screenshot 2022-04-05 at 23.16.24.png

This thread prompted me to check the tyre pressures today and they seem to be high, screen shows 45psi front and 46psi rear. Label on door frame says they should be 42psi all round. Car is only 4 weeks old. Does keeping these higher pressure cause an issue or should I reduce them to 42psi all round? The car does ride a touch firmer than I would like on bumpy roads (and we have a good few of those locally), so perhaps reducing these to 42psi would help with this also?

This thread prompted me to check the tyre pressures today and they seem to be high, screen shows 45psi front and 46psi rear. Label on door frame says they should be 42psi all round. Car is only 4 weeks old. Does keeping these higher pressure cause an issue or should I reduce them to 42psi all round? The car does ride a touch firmer than I would like on bumpy roads (and we have a good few of those locally), so perhaps reducing these to 42psi would help with this also?
Definitely drop them to 42 psi cold for improved ride. But remember that's cold pressure. You may well see 45 psi when warmed up. You could also go a fair bit below 42 psi for optimum ride quality on rough roads. 40 psi would not be unreasonable, especially if you are not heavily loaded. The only downside to going lower would be slightly reduced range on a long motorway stint.

I'm running mine at 42 psi for now, but thinking of dropping them a bit more for our bumpy B-roads.

High tyre pressures are likely to result in:
  • Less grip = longer braking distances; and less fuel used;
  • Harder ride in terms of comfort;
  • Uneven wear on tyres;
Whilst Elon admitted he ran his tyres slight less that the Tesla recommended. I’m not Elon - I try to stick to the door plated 42 psi when cold (but I’m not changing them every time the weather changes).

Mine were all 49psi after I took delivery of the car. Reduced to 42.5psi as soon as I noticed, which made a noticeable difference to the ride quality, and have since recently dropped them to 40psi to edge the comfort out a bit more.

Reactions: faimui
I'm very tyre pressure conscious and like to keep them displayed in my S. That's partly due to having had a few punctures and it's nice to notice a drop before the car bothers reporting it. Recommended is 45psi which equates to running temps of 48/49 (weather etc dependant). It also allows me to see what they are as soon as they pop-up which is about 400yds. If reported below 44psi or above 45psi then I'll adjust before a subsequent trip (again ambient temp dependant) - car is kept in the barn so sunny weather or short frosts don't affect it as much. As the seasons change then step changes are required. The two remaining original tyres (punctures meant 2 new ones) still have plenty of tread depth after 22K miles.

Reactions: init6
They should be set when cold. The manual details how and when. The manual also warns against under inflation.

View attachment 790580
It's not that critical. The recommended cold pressure is a VERY conservative figure to cover a massively wide range of scenarios. It's not the optimum tyre pressure for every situation. For example if you want to prioritise ride quality and grip, then dropping the pressures a little will be an advantage for both. Having said that I always start with the recommended pressures and then adjust them if I feel the need. I'm thinking around 38-40 psi might be a good compromise for my usage in a MY (standard is 42 psi). Our local roads are pretty rough, I'm not carrying heavy loads and I'm not doing much motorway cruising. I'm not worried about under-inflation at those levels. I'm not going to start running them at anything silly like 20 psi.

Your car, your choice, but if your tyres are already under inflated then the natural deflation will pull your tyres into the unsafe zone quicker than if you stick to recommended pressures. I prefer to follow what the manufacturer of the car and tyres reccommend.

It's not that critical. The recommended cold pressure is a VERY conservative figure to cover a massively wide range of scenarios. It's not the optimum tyre pressure for every situation. For example if you want to prioritise ride quality and grip, then dropping the pressures a little will be an advantage for both. Having said that I always start with the recommended pressures and then adjust them if I feel the need. I'm thinking around 38-40 psi might be a good compromise for my usage in a MY (standard is 42 psi). Our local roads are pretty rough, I'm not carrying heavy loads and I'm not doing much motorway cruising. I'm not worried about under-inflation at those levels. I'm not going to start running them at anything silly like 20 psi.
That is a good point about load, on all my BMWs there was one set of pressures for up to 3 occupants, another higher set for up to 5 occupants and luggage. I wonder why Tesla only list one set of pressures!?

I'm going to try mine at 38psi

Your car, your choice, but if your tyres are already under inflated then the natural deflation will pull your tyres into the unsafe zone quicker than if you stick to recommended pressures. I prefer to follow what the manufacturer of the car and tyres reccommend.
This is true, but there is a lot more safety margin than you perhaps realise. 2-4 psi lower than the default recommendation isn't going to make your car unsafe. But it might improve the ride and handling. The manufacturer has to allow for every extreme scenario, so the recommended pressure will always be on the high side by quite some margin. Of course if you are driving fully loaded up at high speed then it makes sense to run the recommended pressure, but if not then running a little lower can be quite an improvement.