Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre pressures ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the system will tell you if a tyre drops below 20% of the cold set threshold, or 20% below the maximum temperature that has been achieved during a trip.

I don't know about the 20% maximum temperature, but on the non bluetooth Model 3's when the TPMS was default at 42psi cold the TPMS warning would be triggered at a 10% drop, ie 4.2psi, or fractionally under 38psi - and confirmed with experience. Don't know if things have changed since.

I don't know about the 20% maximum temperature, but on the non bluetooth Model 3's when the TPMS was default at 42psi cold the TPMS warning would be triggered at a 10% drop, ie 4.2psi, or fractionally under 38psi - and confirmed with experience. Don't know if things have changed since.
20% is the legal TPMS warning threshold that all systems need to comply with to be type approved for Europe. I don't believe there is anything stopping a manufacturer setting their system to be more sensitive, which it seems Tesla is doing.

Reactions: MrBadger and init6
Bugger, even 39psi brings up an alert on the rear tyres!
06AC9366-0E45-42B0-8AB9-C67DD5A06508.jpeg

It’s probably if they’re under 39 psi then, maybe mine was say 38.7 and yours were maybe 39.3
Possibly, but I doubt the system has that kind of resolution. Obviously the display doesn't and most digital gauges show in 0.5 psi steps. You would think the software warning would be triggered by the value shown on the display even if it was rounded from the sensor value.

Maybe the warning for 20" wheels is set higher than it is for 19"? When I get chance I'll have a play and see what it takes to trigger a warning on mine.

Possibly, but I doubt the system has that kind of resolution. Obviously the display doesn't and most digital gauges show in 0.5 psi steps. You would think the software warning would be triggered by the value shown on the display even if it was rounded from the sensor value.

Maybe the warning for 20" wheels is set higher than it is for 19"? When I get chance I'll have a play and see what it takes to trigger a warning on mine.
I think even digital gauges round up or down to the nearest .5

Definitely drop them to 42 psi cold for improved ride. But remember that's cold pressure. You may well see 45 psi when warmed up. You could also go a fair bit below 42 psi for optimum ride quality on rough roads. 40 psi would not be unreasonable, especially if you are not heavily loaded. The only downside to going lower would be slightly reduced range on a long motorway stint.

I'm running mine at 42 psi for now, but thinking of dropping them a bit more for our bumpy B-roads.
So I reduced the tyre pressures to 42psi all round yesterday (according to the analogue tyre gauge I used) and then put the car on charge overnight (RWD LFP - so to 100%). Just back from a short trip of about 4 miles and the car shows all tyres at 41psi but the ride was noticeably better (softer) and to my liking :).

I also popped up the power graph and it showed 202Wh/mile average over the last 30 miles and an estimated range of 297 miles with 98% SoC. The last 30 miles have all been local and nothing over 50mph. The more I drive the better the car seems to get and clearly works well for me.

I'm finding the MY ride quality quite acceptable with 39 psi cold morning pressures on 19" rims. On my very short run this morning they came up to 41 psi. Certainly a significant improvement over the 50 psi cold pressures I found on delivery! The ride wasn't a disaster even then, but the tyres did feel a bit wooden and quite noisy. When I got home from delivery I reset them to the recommended 42 psi and the recent colder weather has now brought them down to 39 psi first thing in the morning. The ride now feels more compliant with less road rumble. I'm just going to keep creeping them down until I get a warning and then keep an eye on wear. Ride quality is more or less on a par with our M3 on 18" rims.

So I reduced the tyre pressures to 42psi all round yesterday (according to the analogue tyre gauge I used) and then put the car on charge overnight (RWD LFP - so to 100%). Just back from a short trip of about 4 miles and the car shows all tyres at 41psi but the ride was noticeably better (softer) and to my liking :).

I also popped up the power graph and it showed 202Wh/mile average over the last 30 miles and an estimated range of 297 miles with 98% SoC. The last 30 miles have all been local and nothing over 50mph. The more I drive the better the car seems to get and clearly works well for me.
The slightly bigger capacity and that feature of LFP whereby you can regularly use 100% really is killer for the new RWD! A step up in daily range from my earlier SR+. (Though my passenger can alter their lumbar support on the seat ... and I should beat you in a drag race! :) )