Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had almost this exact same scenario but front passenger tyre.

I'd had a slow leak for a few weeks (only ever got to around 36 PSI) and I only topped it up twice. The third time I topped it up I noticed the screw - the head was nearly worn away.

I took it to the local tyre place and they plugged it while it was still on the car. It took around 15 minutes and cost $30.

I'd had a slow leak for a few weeks (only ever got to around 36 PSI) and I only topped it up twice. The third time I topped it up I noticed the screw - the head was nearly worn away.

I took it to the local tyre place and they plugged it while it was still on the car. It took around 15 minutes and cost $30.
Wow you guys are really fortunate and/or I’m an idiot.

I had a bolt in my front right tyre that hissed when I pulled on it with pliers. I took it to a name tyre shop and they initially said they couldn’t repair it because it was an acoustic foam tyre with “TO” on it (Tesla Original?). It then had to be 2 tyres replaced on the same axle...and then the manager intervened and said he’d googled it and all 4 tyres had to be replaced or no tyres replaced.

By this stage they had removed the offending tyre so I was left with no choice. I said I could accept changing the tyres on the same axle but that my SR+ was not AWD so I didn’t need 4 new tyres. No dice - I drove off with 4 new Goodyears and $1600 poorer. Fool.

I had a bolt in my front right tyre that hissed when I pulled on it with pliers. I took it to a name tyre shop and they initially said they couldn’t repair it because it was an acoustic foam tyre with “TO” on it (Tesla Original?). It then had to be 2 tyres replaced on the same axle...and then the manager intervened and said he’d googled it and all 4 tyres had to be replaced or no tyres replaced.

By this stage they had removed the offending tyre so I was left with no choice. I said I could accept changing the tyres on the same axle but that my SR+ was not AWD so I didn’t need 4 new tyres. No dice - I drove off with 4 new Goodyears and $1600 poorer. Fool.
That is criminal on both fronts - The acoustic foam can be scraped and a mushroom plug sealed from the inside. Second, there is no reason to replace tires on both axles on a Tesla. Ever. There is no coupling between the axles, even with AWD. The car doesn't care about rotational difference due to tread depth difference between axles.

I had a bolt in my front right tyre that hissed when I pulled on it with pliers.
Generally not a good idea to pull it out. Leave the bolt/screw/nail in the tyre if you can, especially if the tyre is still holding air.

I suspect the screw had been in my tyre for at least 6 weeks based on when the car was reporting the tyre was on the low side. I would have driven at least 2,000 km in that time. Note, I'm not suggesting driving around for long periods of time with a foreign object in the tyre. I just didn't realise it was there until I finally spotted it.

Tyre shops are notoriously dishonest. I'm sure there are plenty of honest ones, but they are the exception rather than the rule.
The laws in NZ may be different to Australia. I know that in France you have to replace both tyres on the same axle, perhaps it is so in NZ. I can't imagine ever having to replace all 4 tyres because 1 got a puncture.

I just got one nail and went to Tesla service centre, Canberra and they charged me $79.20 for one fix. I should have gone with Jax or other tyre shop..
@QBN_PC : Is that the TyrePower in Queanbeyan ??

I just got one nail and went to Tesla service centre, Canberra and they charged me $79.20 for one fix. I should have gone with Jax or other tyre shop..
@QBN_PC : Is that the TyrePower in Queanbeyan ??
Sure, they've done a few things with my car before. But so have several other tyre shops elsewhere. Aside from knowing where to place the jack (with or without a puck), a quick reminder to watch for the TPWS, and crossing your fingers about the fragile-looking aero hubcaps, our cars aren't that special to a tyre shop.

Sure, they've done a few things with my car before. But so have several other tyre shops elsewhere. Aside from knowing where to place the jack (with or without a puck), a quick reminder to watch for the TPWS, and crossing your fingers about the fragile-looking aero hubcaps, our cars aren't that special to a tyre shop.
And jacking mode if it has that. Agree its just a tyre