Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Sealant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are dozens of them on Amazon. You need a can of goo and a 12V tyre pump.

Notice: They will only work on small punctures and should be viewed as a way to get to a garage.
I know some garage refuse to repair tyres that have been emergency repaired with a "goo can".

The "Goo can" comes in two versions. I choose the one where you can fill directly into a half full tyre without empty it first.
I have tried it when we got a nail into the tyre out in nowhere and it worked nice for the long drive to the garage.

Actually I believe the 12V pump is most important because if you get a nail in the tyre you get a slow leak and then the most important thing is to be able to fill up the tyre while on the road.

If you get a bigger damage (like hitting a sharp corner) there is no emergency kit. You need a spare wheel.... :-/

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
Tesla SC's have said in some cases (YMMV) that tires with goo in them can't be repaired (because of the foam, which is the tires your X probably has). Even if the goo is sold on the Tesla website. :D

Up to you if you use goo/sealant or call Tesla Roadside to come swap the tire. I know things may be different in the UK as to what Roadside does automatically. Here in the US, we call them, they change the tire, and we deal with the Service Center about a repaired tire (depending on the issue).

But goo is not a good idea for an X tire. *Maybe* it's okay for an S or a 3 with no foam inside, but it's still a hassle to repair, I bet!

I agree in principle with Boaterva.
If you have a small leak a 12V tyre pump will save the day. Even if the nail is still in the tyre.
If you have a big damage there is only a new tyre that will help you. Get road side help.
The goo is for the rare situations where you get a medium leak far away out in nowhere and you have no other way.
--
I have used goo once, while driving off road with another car.
--
But a 12V tyre pump is a sound investment.

Reactions: boaterva
I agree in principle with Boaterva.
If you have a small leak a 12V tyre pump will save the day. Even if the nail is still in the tyre.
If you have a big damage there is only a new tyre that will help you. Get road side help.
The goo is for the rare situations where you get a medium leak far away out in nowhere and you have no other way.
--
I have used goo once, while driving off road with another car.
--
But a 12V tyre pump is a sound investment.
Good point, if you are have an emergency hours from Roadside, yep, bite the bullet and trash the tire with the goo. :D

The pump is a good $30 investment just to top off the tires in any case; much more convenient than going to the service station. Remember to get a 'cigarette lighter'/power point extension cord, then you can reach all four tires from the X's rear power socket!