Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre slip over wet white lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Had my M3 LR delivered on Saturday and have already covered a couple of hundred miles. It's been VERY wet in the UK and several times on motorways yesterday and this morning I've felt an unnerving slip of the nearside front tyre when lane changing over white lines. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it could be down to new tyres that need a bit of wear? Seems to be when moving from overtaking lane back into cruising lane.

I'm on Standard 18 inch Aero's.

Thoughts?

If it's not lane departure avoidance it could just be because the tyres are new. When tyres are manufactured, they are vulcanised in heating moulds to set their shape and form. To remove the tyres from the moulds a lubricant is used to prevent the tyres from sticking to the moulds.

This lubricant typically wears off in the first 150-200 miles so you're advised to drive cautiously on brand new tyres.

If it's not lane departure avoidance it could just be because the tyres are new. When tyres are manufactured, they are vulcanised in heating moulds to set their shape and form. To remove the tyres from the moulds a lubricant is used to prevent the tyres from sticking to the moulds.

This lubricant typically wears off in the first 150-200 miles so you're advised to drive cautiously on brand new tyres.
This really isn't true these days. It used to be the case but not any more. Modern tyres are good to go immediately. What some people feel is a slight instability initially because they've just gone from tyres with 2mm of tread to ones with 6+mm of tread and feel the tread blocks moving slightly, which can feel a bit like losing grip.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
This really isn't true these days. It used to be the case but not any more. Modern tyres are good to go immediately. What some people feel is a slight instability initially because they've just gone from tyres with 2mm of tread to ones with 6+mm of tread and feel the tread blocks moving slightly, which can feel a bit like losing grip.
When I was in PCGB we used to get technical talks AND the advice above is CORRECT i.e. Allow at least 100 miles before you drive like you stole it.

Motorbike tyres need particular care for the same reasons.

Would be interested in which manufacturer is claiming their tyres 'are good to go immediately'

When I was in PCGB we used to get technical talks AND the advice above is CORRECT i.e. Allow at least 100 miles before you drive like you stole it.

Would be interested in which manufacturer is claiming their tyres 'are good to go immediately'
Release agents haven't been used for quite a while by tyre manufacturers. There will be a difference in how a tyre works and behaves from the moment it's driven away until the end of it's useful life of course, but it's nothing to do with mold release agents (which aren't even used any more) and it certainly doesn't require 100 miles of driving to 'scrub in' a new tyre. This is an old myth that just keeps on and on because people repeat it as though it were true.
Any tyre will benefit form some 'bedding in' as the bead seats fully on the rim and the surface scrubs in a bit. I'm not disputing that. I am disputing this myth about mold release agents making the tyre all slippery for 100 miles. That's rubbish.

Its bit of an urban legend and just because the Dibble repeats it doesn't make it true.

I've ridden plenty of miles on sportsbikes and yes, you wouldn't go into the very first corner with new tyres with your knee on the deck. Neither would I do that with cold tyres. However, if you can't scrub a set of tyres in edge-to-edge within literally a couple of miles then riding bikes is probably not for you.

100 miles before tyres are scrubbed in? Don't make me laugh. I've worn out sticky tyres like the soft compound Racetecs in less than 1,000 miles...they were scrubbed in in less than a mile.

Reactions: Adopado
Release agents haven't been used for quite a while by tyre manufacturers. There will be a difference in how a tyre works and behaves from the moment it's driven away until the end of it's useful life of course, but it's nothing to do with mold release agents (which aren't even used any more) and it certainly doesn't require 100 miles of driving to 'scrub in' a new tyre. This is an old myth that just keeps on and on because people repeat it as though it were true.
Any tyre will benefit form some 'bedding in' as the bead seats fully on the rim and the surface scrubs in a bit. I'm not disputing that. I am disputing this myth about mold release agents making the tyre all slippery for 100 miles. That's rubbish.
That’s interesting. How long since they stopped using release agents?

Its bit of an urban legend and just because the Dibble repeats it doesn't make it true.

I've ridden plenty of miles on sportsbikes and yes, you wouldn't go into the very first corner with new tyres with your knee on the deck. Neither would I do that with cold tyres. However, if you can't scrub a set of tyres in edge-to-edge within literally a couple of miles then riding bikes is probably not for you.

100 miles before tyres are scrubbed in? Don't make me laugh. I've worn out sticky tyres like the soft compound Racetecs in less than 1,000 miles...they were scrubbed in in less than a mile.

Of course with car tyres you can scrub them very easily because the whole tread surface is in contact with the road pretty much all the time. With bike tyres the contact patch varies with angle of lean ... and that's why we like to ride bikes! It does mean that you have to be aware of your lean angle when scrubbing new tyres but it really doesn't take long on a twisty road in dry conditions ... :p

Reactions: Cloggie and Zakalwe
Of course with car tyres you can scrub them very easily because the whole tread surface is in contact with the road pretty much all the time. With bike tyres the contact patch varies with angle of lean ... and that's why we like to ride bikes! It does mean that you have to be aware of your lean angle when scrubbing new tyres but it really doesn't take long on a twisty road in dry conditions ... :p
⬆️ had an 'interesting' moment on a bike a few years ago with new tyres and had a take evasive action. Clean pants moment 😲 Never noticed anything like that with a car though

• Funny
Reactions: Zakalwe
There's plenty of information out there in the public domain about this.
Yes, so there is! Seems release agents are not used very often these days, but new tyres still need a few gentle heat cycles to scrub in over the first 100 miles or so for best long term performance and wear. Thrashing them hard from brand new will tend to cause cold tear and compromise future performance. We found the same thing with F1 tyres actually (back in the Michelin v Bridgestone era). Lightly scrubbing new tyres and putting them through a complete heat cycle gave them much better endurance performance over a race distance.

Still I don't think any of this relates to the OP's issue with white lines. Grip levels on new tyres are not that marginal!

White lines are more slippy than tarmac, especially if it's been wet. Ive had slip on white lines when driving high powered ICE cars before, although when I have really noticed it it's been on track and when driving on or near the limit. I think if the car is putting power down when changing lanes its quite feasible it could loose a bit of traction when crossing white lines. If it was a one off, I wouldn't be too worried.