Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre Valve Dust Caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A daft Q, perhaps but seriously asked!

I had 4 new Bridgestone tyres fitted, for the MOT at Local Formula 1.

They set the tyre pressure at 42, which produced a warning of low pressure. The chap said they had checked and it will go when I drove it! It did after a warm up. It was very dark and closing time for them.

I usually put in 45, as stated on the door sticker, so have visited filling station and put in 45. I then noticed that each valve had a standard black dust cap. Then my memory failed! I thought/think the Tesla dustcaps were better than the black plastic ones....or am I making it up?
Model S 2016.

I am also now thinking...have they got the right torque?????

My 2018 S came with plastic valve caps, identical to these.

I too had one change from grey-silver to black courtesy of a Formula One Auto new tyres & MOT visit, likely due to TPMS damage during the tyre removal stage and use of a generic replacement part, or just a time-rushed technician forgetting to move the cap across (or even losing it).

I even ensured a sticky-note of mine made it to the job sheet with 45 PSI and torque setting in both imperial/metric. Despite that, drove home with reported 49 PSI and adjusted down the following morning (correcting for ambient). I suspect for TPMS cars they overshoot the manufacturer setting to avoid in-car warnings and consequential blame problems.

Last edited: