Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre wear & price UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Looking for some help. Can any UK owner give an idea of tyre wear on UK roads on model X? My tyre fitter also says if you don’t replace originals with Michelin (as originals) Tesla have a bit of a fit if the car goes in for warranty work somehow stating that the faults are down to the tyres whether or not a tyre issue?? Also has anyone an experience on tyre prices? My dealer has quoted £250 & £280 each for both sets? On the verge of ordering an X but checking likely running costs. Have already been quoted £400 a year more on insurance compared to my Q7 E-Tron & if prices quoted is correct tyres around £100 each more also? To throw a curve ball would an S be a better bet?

I have just replaced my original Michelins at 13600 miles. They only had about 2mm of tread.

The advice on tyres having to be Michelins is odd. Not all the OEM tyres are Michelins for example. As long as the tyres meet the correct spec then you should be fine.

I replaced the original Michelin Latitudes with Michelin Cross Climates which seem fine, they are a bit more expensive than other tyres. I still paid £880 for 4 with the recent 10% discount at Kwik Fit.

On Black Circle etc you are looking at low £200s for tyres of the right spec. Assuming the E-Tron was also on 20inch wheels they should be around the same price. I think the original fitment acoustic tyres are a little more expensive, but I do not think they actually make any noticeable difference to the sound level.

The car uses around 400wH/mile in electricity so that is about 5p per mile. Assuming your e-tron does around 40mpg, then you are looking at around 15p per mile in fuel, so you can offset any extra costs with that. Actual mpg could vary wildly in a plug in hybrid depending on where you drive.

The reality is that depreciation is going to be far and away your biggest cost. On a £90,000 car tyres and insurance are going to be almost irrelevant in comparison. My suspicion is that on a go forward basis an X will depreciate less than an S as the S is more similar to other cars coming out like the Taycan. The X sells for much less of a premium to similar high end SUVs than the S to large saloons. Even if the car is not leased, the relative leasing cost will give you an idea of the depreciation cost. The X will be more expensive to run as it is a more expensive car, with a discount an E-Tron will cost around £65,000(BTW I didn't think you could buy the E-Tron at the moment and you have to wait for the facelift model next year). An E-Tron may depreciate faster than other Q7s which may eat into the lower cost. An offset to this is a dramatically lower BiK if you are planning to run it as a company car. It will be 2% from next year versus I think 12% for an E-Tron.

The E-Tron is not available with 7 seats which is a deal breaker for me. The Q7 is more refined, indeed it is one of the most refined cars I have ever driven. Handling is pretty similar.

Reactions: Reggie1970
Michelin Latitudes lasted 25k on our 75D X.

I swapped them for Toyo SUVs at the front and NangKang at the back. I actually ordered the wrong profile Toyos at the front but they fitted fine or I didn't bother replacing them. All in cost was £500 for all 4 tires fitted.

The tyre fitters tried to sell me the OEM Michelin with the same scare tactics as what they told you. About 2 weeks ago our X had front suspension arm failure and needed to be towed to the service centre, not a single mention of having different branded tyres or even non OEM tyre profiles at the front.

Buy what ever tyre you consider to be good value, the NangKangs are actually suppose to be all season, so for £120, each decent value.....Do make sure you order the right profile :)

S is a much smaller car inside than the X, if you carry passengers regularly the X is a no brainer.

Tires replaced at 24K for 90D X.

Regarding the OEM option, it is about the T0 (For Tesla) marking on the tyre. The cost is approximately £310 per tyre.
My issue was the availability. My usual tyre fitter place could not find stock anywhere in Europe. The only place to get T0 tires is Tesla and they don't sell them. You also have to pay them the fitting which is about £40 per wheel. Tesla says it's a safety component and if you want to have it fitted someplace else you have to sign a waiver for warranty.

Of course, you can put any tyre with the same specifications as the OEM. However, you might want to check your finance/insurance T&C as they can force you to use the manufacturer recommended parts.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Reggie1970
Tesla says it's a safety component and if you want to have it fitted someplace else you have to sign a waiver for warranty......

However, you might want to check your finance/insurance T&C as they can force you to use the manufacturer recommended parts.

Where does Tesla say that? I've signed nothing and I've had warranty work done with no questions asked.

As for insurance, I've never seen any insurance document mandating a specific brand of tyre.

I meant warranty for the tires not the whole car. Tesla will not cover the warranty for a component which is installed by a third party. I think that is normal for all their safety components.

Regarding the finance/insurance, a friend of mine got his insurance claim refused as the car had a different brand of tires when the accident happened. It was a Porsche.
I personally don't have any mentions about tires in my insurance agreement but for my finance agreement there is a line about following the manufacturer recommendations when replacing components.

I have just replaced my original Michelins at 13600 miles. They only had about 2mm of tread.

The advice on tyres having to be Michelins is odd. Not all the OEM tyres are Michelins for example. As long as the tyres meet the correct spec then you should be fine.

I replaced the original Michelin Latitudes with Michelin Cross Climates which seem fine, they are a bit more expensive than other tyres. I still paid £880 for 4 with the recent 10% discount at Kwik Fit.

On Black Circle etc you are looking at low £200s for tyres of the right spec. Assuming the E-Tron was also on 20inch wheels they should be around the same price. I think the original fitment acoustic tyres are a little more expensive, but I do not think they actually make any noticeable difference to the sound level.

The car uses around 400wH/mile in electricity so that is about 5p per mile. Assuming your e-tron does around 40mpg, then you are looking at around 15p per mile in fuel, so you can offset any extra costs with that. Actual mpg could vary wildly in a plug in hybrid depending on where you drive.

The reality is that depreciation is going to be far and away your biggest cost. On a £90,000 car tyres and insurance are going to be almost irrelevant in comparison. My suspicion is that on a go forward basis an X will depreciate less than an S as the S is more similar to other cars coming out like the Taycan. The X sells for much less of a premium to similar high end SUVs than the S to large saloons. Even if the car is not leased, the relative leasing cost will give you an idea of the depreciation cost. The X will be more expensive to run as it is a more expensive car, with a discount an E-Tron will cost around £65,000(BTW I didn't think you could buy the E-Tron at the moment and you have to wait for the facelift model next year). An E-Tron may depreciate faster than other Q7s which may eat into the lower cost. An offset to this is a dramatically lower BiK if you are planning to run it as a company car. It will be 2% from next year versus I think 12% for an E-Tron.

The E-Tron is not available with 7 seats which is a deal breaker for me. The Q7 is more refined, indeed it is one of the most refined cars I have ever driven. Handling is pretty similar.

Mr AliG. Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Q7 is the diesel. Unfortunately the new one will be petrol so that’s out! By charging where I can I actually average around 80mpg. Impressive for such a big car. BIK is actually 0% from next tax year, 1% & then 2% in years 2 & 3. Tyres on my car are 19” and cost around £180 each. I take your points on the other costs etc. Just ha e to bite the bullet I suppose!!

I swapped them for Toyo SUVs at the front and NangKang at the back. I actually ordered the wrong profile Toyos at the front but they fitted fine or I didn't bother replacing them. All in cost was £500 for all 4 tires fitted.

The tyre fitters tried to sell me the OEM Michelin with the same scare tactics as what they told you. About 2 weeks ago our X had front suspension arm failure and needed to be towed to the service centre, not a single mention of having different branded tyres or even non OEM tyre profiles at the front.

Buy what ever tyre you consider to be good value, the NangKangs are actually suppose to be all season, so for £120, each decent value.....Do make sure you order the right profile :)

S is a much smaller car inside than the X, if you carry passengers regularly the X is a no brainer.
I meant warranty for the tires not the whole car. Tesla will not cover the warranty for a component which is installed by a third party. I think that is normal for all their safety components.

Regarding the finance/insurance, a friend of mine got his insurance claim refused as the car had a different brand of tires when the accident happened. It was a Porsche.
I personally don't have any mentions about tires in my insurance agreement but for my finance agreement there is a line about following the manufacturer recommendations when replacing components.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a bit of scaremongering! Bring on the X then!

Reactions: gangzoom