Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyres at 100,000kms and still going.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in October 2016 I replaced the original set of Michelin PS3s at 60,000kms- New tyres at 60 000kms
The second set of Michelin Primacy 3 has now passed 100,000kms with plenty of legal tread remaining, the two main reasons for this has been a more relaxed driving manner and a better tyre rotation policy, and as per usual I'm OCD on maintaining the best all round tyre pressures.
Although this set looks good for 130,000kms until they get down to 2mm I'm going to replace them before the next long distance trip in September.

image.jpg

Nice work! I don't think I've had a set of tyres last anywhere near yours so I am obviously doing something wrong. Care to share your ocd regiment on rotations and tyre pressures etc?

Firstly these are 19 inch tyres, no way the 21s will get anywhere near the same mileage. This particular car does a lot of straight line driving on freeways and semi rural roads, very few corners and roundabouts that would generally increase tyre wear rapidly.
Tyre pressures are important, most car dealers recommend lower pressures as it provides a smoother ride, when those pressures are too low it has a number of negative effects, increased energy consumption, uneven and increased tyre wear and sometimes sloppy handling, but the biggest downside to low tyre pressures is too much heat build up due to flexing of the sidewalls, this can cause a failure during a long drive at higher speeds.
Tesla recommend 45psi, although it provides a firm ride that pressure suits these tyres well.

Firstly these are 19 inch tyres, no way the 21s will get anywhere near the same mileage. This particular car does a lot of straight line driving on freeways and semi rural roads, very few corners and roundabouts that would generally increase tyre wear rapidly.
Tyre pressures are important, most car dealers recommend lower pressures as it provides a smoother ride, when those pressures are too low it has a number of negative effects, increased energy consumption, uneven and increased tyre wear and sometimes sloppy handling, but the biggest downside to low tyre pressures is too much heat build up due to flexing of the sidewalls, this can cause a failure during a long drive at higher speeds.
Tesla recommend 45psi, although it provides a firm ride that pressure suits these tyres well.
That and regular wheel alignment checks every 8-10,000km.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue heaven