Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyres for a model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any suggestions on tyres for a model x (standard 20 inch rims). I have run michelin latitude for the last two sets but would like a choice. Michelins have been the only ones that were load rated for the weight of the X, but they last only 16000 km. (And yes i have changed my suspension settings but has not made any difference).

Does anyone have any suggestions on tyres for a model x (standard 20 inch rims). I have run michelin latitude for the last two sets but would like a choice. Michelins have been the only ones that were load rated for the weight of the X, but they last only 16000 km. (And yes i have changed my suspension settings but has not made any difference).

What did you do to your suspension settings?

43k on a set of michelins? On an X? How is that even possible? My first set got me 18000, my current set is looking a bit ordinary with 16000

Yep and Yep ;)

This is what they looked like after our trip back to Perth from Sydney. Long story but the inside edge wear is because in Melbourne service tried an alignment setting that didn't work, obviously. If they were flat I would've gotten more kms out of them.
20180730_155907.jpg
20180730_155956.jpg
20180730_160008.jpg

What did you do to your suspension settings?
Was advised to keep suspension set to low. Ran first set of tires on med setting, second set on low. Practically no difference. Tyre wear is worse on fronts which is to be expected. But wear is even, no evidence of any camber issues. 20 inch standard rims. Michelin latitude tyres. And yes normally michelins are regarded as longer wearing tyres than pretty much any others..particularly the conti sports

Back to the orginal question, is anyone running any tyres other than michelins?

Was advised to keep suspension set to low. Ran first set of tires on med setting, second set on low. Practically no difference. Tyre wear is worse on fronts which is to be expected. But wear is even, no evidence of any camber issues. 20 inch standard rims. Michelin latitude tyres. And yes normally michelins are regarded as longer wearing tyres than pretty much any others..particularly the conti sports

Back to the orginal question, is anyone running any tyres other than michelins?

Give Jax tyres a try, they have Michelins listed for Tesla X 20s but if they are prepared to offer customer service they'll take the time to find a different brand. The Jax store in Perth (Kwinana) has made the effort to ask owners plenty of questions then conduct some further research on Tesla suspension, that's the sort of service you want instead of the shop giving you a "bargain" and pushing you out the door. Jax also are installing EV charge points across the country.

Hi , my X has 39000 on the clock . Just about to do first tyre change , always run suspension on standard. No rotation, but always keep tyre pressure at 42psi.
Cheers
I agree re pressures, I’ve found on my model S correct pressure has a big impact on tyre life. Indeed when I start seeing wear I adjust pressures by 0.5psi to try and even out the wear. Alignment is critcal too.

I had the original 20" Michelins on my X and was annoyed they only lasted 50,000km. I changed them over to Continental Cross Contact LX Sport. 265/45R20 on the front and 275/45R20 on the rear. The key advantage with these tyres is that with a treadwear index of 480, they are more than twice as hard waring as the Michelins they replaced.
On paper I expect these tyres to get at least 100,000km before they need replacing. My car has now done nearly 89,000km (39,000km on the new tyres) and the Continentals are looking like they're going to reach that expected lifetime.
I ALWAYS run on standard suspension height and I run my tyres hard at 50psi or thereabouts.

Reactions: Jays200
Well, there I was thinking that I would be deluged by like minded forum dwellers commiserating with me over the wear on our tyres..and I find out it is just me! Clearly you all drive like (insert some politically correct reference to people who drive really really slowly)..looks like I can kiss my dream of an F1 career goodbye as I am clearly too hard on my tyres. @Murbs I will look into the Conti’s.. when I was last replacing tyres their load rating wasnt high enough but it looks like that has changed.

Humph.

Well, there I was thinking that I would be deluged by like minded forum dwellers commiserating with me over the wear on our tyres..and I find out it is just me! Clearly you all drive like (insert some politically correct reference to people who drive really really slowly)..looks like I can kiss my dream of an F1 career goodbye as I am clearly too hard on my tyres. @Murbs I will look into the Conti’s.. when I was last replacing tyres their load rating wasnt high enough but it looks like that has changed.

Humph.
I think ‘grandma’ or ‘nanna’ is the politically correct reference you are referring to. F1 tyres only last a few km so your dream is still good