Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyres - How’s it going?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it may be useful to get a thread going on the subject of tyres.

I’m 18 months in with my SR+ and have 13.5k on the clock and I’m down to 3.3mm on my Pilot Sport 4’s. Is anyone find the wear particularly significant? I was expecting to have more wear on the backs with it being rear wheel drive but it would appear they are wearing at the same rate. I’m not sure if this wear rate is what should be expected and whether or not to look at alternatives.

I thought it may be useful to get a thread going on the subject of tyres.

I’m 18 months in with my SR+ and have 13.5k on the clock and I’m down to 3.3mm on my Pilot Sport 4’s. Is anyone find the wear particularly significant? I was expecting to have more wear on the backs with it being rear wheel drive but it would appear they are wearing at the same rate. I’m not sure if this wear rate is what should be expected and whether or not to look at alternatives.
Wear will be pretty even. Rear wheel do the driving but front wheels take steering load and 70% of the braking forces. Your wear rate seems reasonable too. Remember it's a heavy old car, that'll add to tyre wear

Reactions: LEE3
The OEMs still :) Want something more suitable for our weather though and since I cant be bothered swapping to winter tyres Crossclimates seem to be a good alternative.

They look like a good compromise but someone on the forum did post that the stats from their business fleet that showed Crossclimates having a notably poorer wear record than "standard" tyres on their vehicles (don't know brands to compare unfortunately).

They look like a good compromise but someone on the forum did post that the stats from their business fleet that showed Crossclimates having a notably poorer wear record than "standard" tyres on their vehicles (don't know brands to compare unfortunately).

I think I saw that post too. I don't know; still want to try them. Found a blog of a guy who has them on his 3 at the states and he seems really happy with them. I wasn't really satisfied with the original ones on wet and some of the roads I drive daily can get quite tricky when it rains. I will be reporting back. If they last for a year I will be happy (25-30k is my annual mileage).

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
14K on the rears and needed replacing (M3P). Due somewhat to an enthusiastic right foot for the first 6 months or so of ownership. Fronts still have a few thousand miles left, probably get twenty K out of them.

Yep, a perennial problem when you first get hold of a performance vehicle I've found. I had an XJR (the supercharged V8) in the late 90's and went through the rears in about 8k - it was far too much fun.

Loved that car, but it ate petrol and its own feet in excessive quantities.

Reactions: Yachtsman
Just got rid of an Audi S5 with Pilot Sport 4’s. Not as quick off the Mark as a LR but in the ball park. I was down to about 5mm after 10k miles so probably would be at 3mm after 20k.

So looking above, people getting 20k plus is certainly no worse than an ICE car which was 200kg lighter.

A lot is going to depend on how you use the car as well. ‘Spirited’ driving through corners with hard acceleration and braking versus the motorway commuter maximising battery range is going to give huge variations.

I think I would be happy if my 3 gets anything over 15k on a set of 4’s.

28k miles and 3-4mm (did rotate tyres at around 15k mark)

I'm about to look at what options are available
Just measured mine: (Original OEMs - Michelin PS4s)

Rears 3.5mm
Fronts 3mm

Looking at the following but undecided:
  1. Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=70) - cost around £122 each inc fitting
  2. Continental Premium Contact 6 - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=72) - cost around £141 each inc fitting
  3. Bridgestone Turanza T005 - (Eff=B, Weat=A, dB=72) - cost around £129 each inc fitting
  4. Pirelli P Zero Sports - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=68) - cost around £136 each inc fitting
  5. As OEMs Pilot Sport 4 - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=71) - cost around £158 each inc fitting

Vredestein Quatrac Pro's are amazing so definitely keep those on your list to check out! They are UHP all season, but I've found them to be very sticky on the dry, excellent on the wet and perform very well on ice and snow in the Swiss Alps. My favorite thing about the tires though is they are DEAD SILENT! I will never consider any other tire for my Tesla. There are other threads here of Model S guys doing the same as well as Model 3 and Y. They are quieter than the P4S even. I've done a lot of soundproofing to my car and simply changing the tires made all the difference without a sacrifice that I can see in grip or performance. And I don't need to change out my tires when the seasons change. Win/Win. I even bought a second set so I now have them on both my 18's and 20's. I just change my wheels depending on if I am taking a very long road trip (18's for range) or if the weather is going to be uber crappy and I don't want my 20's to perhaps suffer from unpredictable road grime, etc.