Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyres - How’s it going?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the rears replaced at 18k miles (they were down to 1.6). Front are still at 4.
Probably reflects my driving style...
M3 LR. Michelin PS4 XL Acoustics (OEM).
I was told that there's a shortage of these tyres in the UK so I ended up with Michelin Primacy 4 on the back (I lease so it's what Arnold Clark would cover).

That list hasn't been updated in awhile. I mention that as the Quatrac 5's are end of life and the Quatrac Pro's are next level goodness.

Reactions: drewpost
Is the general consensus to swap them out when they get below 3mm? A lot of people seem to wait to reach the west indicators. Would the weight of these cars suggest waiting for wear indicator tread depth would be a big no no?

Is the general consensus to swap them out when they get below 3mm? A lot of people seem to wait to reach the west indicators. Would the weight of these cars suggest waiting for wear indicator tread depth would be a big no no?

That's general advice for all vehicles I think, wet performance of tyres drops off significantly when you get below 3mm.

Personally I make a judgement call based on the driving I'm planning on doing in the coming months and the likelihood of it being wet or dry, so under 3mm in September with some motorway journeys coming up then I'll change, but local journeys in July/August then I'd probably hang on a bit.

Just measured mine: (Original OEMs - Michelin PS4s)

Rears 3.5mm
Fronts 3mm

Looking at the following but undecided:
  1. Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=70) - cost around £122 each inc fitting
  2. Continental Premium Contact 6 - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=72) - cost around £141 each inc fitting
  3. Bridgestone Turanza T005 - (Eff=B, Weat=A, dB=72) - cost around £129 each inc fitting
  4. Pirelli P Zero Sports - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=68) - cost around £136 each inc fitting
  5. As OEMs Pilot Sport 4 - (Eff=C, Weat=A, dB=71) - cost around £158 each inc fitting
The OEM Pilot Sport 4 has a "T0" designation and Eff = B, Wet = B.

Potentially the drop from B to C is around a 2% rolling resistance increase?

Unfortunately they also cost £180 a corner(!)

Reactions: davidmc
Let me know what you think of them. Currently I am leaning towards those as replacements but wonder what they'd be link in the dry and what the impact is on road noise inside the car.

Hi Andy. So cross climates installed on Monday by tyres on the drive. Really impressed with the guy who did the work. First thing he asked me was if I have the pads for lifting the car. He has done 3s before apparently.
Regarding the tyres themselves its early days to be honest. It was dry during Monday and yesterday so I didnt notice any difference to the OEMs. Noise wise they seem to be quiet but my previous ones were down to 3mm so I may got used to them being noisy.
Today is raining and I could feel the extra grip. But then again they are new :) I M doing 500 miles every week though so in about a month the tyres will be settled so I should be able to give a more accurate response.
Something bizarre though. This morning in car display for my daily commute: 330 wh/mile. Teslafi: 247 wh/mile. Dont know which one to trust ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy_T_73
I'm a big fan of Vredestein tyres having run them on most of my previous cars, but wasn't that impressed with the Ultrac Satin I put on the leaf. My concern here is the range impact of the tyres. I've had the Leaf for years and as it's range is crap I've always tried to use A/B efficiency tyres. My SR+ has much better range but I'm still marginal at times with some journeys. I may take the opportunity to bump up to 19s as the cost of tyres is a big chunk of the cost of new wheels, so best to do it at the same time, but I'm aware that I'll take a range hit jumping to 19s and then potentially another range hit if I look at a tyre like the Quatrac Pro which has an efficiency rating of E. I may look at a summer tyre with a good efficiency/grip ballance and then stick some all weather/winter tyres on the 18s I'll take off.

I’ve been researching tyres over the last week and there are no apparent stand out candidates due to all the variables involved. It seems like if they are soft the efficiency and wear suffers. If they are firmer the comfort is worse and the noise increases and then there’s all the mixed findings on the benefits of acoustic foam versus non acoustic as there are just as many people who feel it makes no difference to those that do.

I’ve been researching tyres over the last week and there are no apparent stand out candidates due to all the variables involved. It seems like if they are soft the efficiency and wear suffers. If they are firmer the comfort is worse and the noise increases and then there’s all the mixed findings on the benefits of acoustic foam versus non acoustic as there are just as many people who feel it makes no difference to those that do.
One option you may not have considered...

Tesla-Model-3-Tracks.jpg

Reactions: Cloggie and LEE3
600 miles on the crossclimates so far. So still early days. What I noticed so far is that efficiency wise no change on dry. On wet around 5% loss but the grip is fantastic so I can live with it. Also they are definitely noisier compared to the OEMs. Not so much on new tarmac but when the road surface is iffy then you can definitely hear them. Not so bothered since I always listen to music (rather loudly I must say) but needs to be mentioned.

Have been reading this post as unfortunately got an irreparable puncture after 12,000 miles on a LR.

The only tyres that all our local fitters are willing to fit on the Tesla are the Pilot 4s and nobody can get them until May. They have said Tesla is the only solution but that is £270+ each and have to get to a service centre.

Can we actually put on other tyres without invalidating warranties etc as have been told others aren’t Tesla approved?

Never heard of tyres being manufacturer approved to the point they are related to warranties. As long they are the same size etc cant see a problem with.
Check tyres on the drive. With a 10% discount that was available at that point I paid 620£ for four tyres including fitting and all. (Michellin crossclimates).

Reactions: jammer1
Have been reading this post as unfortunately got an irreparable puncture after 12,000 miles on a LR.

The only tyres that all our local fitters are willing to fit on the Tesla are the Pilot 4s and nobody can get them until May. They have said Tesla is the only solution but that is £270+ each and have to get to a service centre.

Can we actually put on other tyres without invalidating warranties etc as have been told others aren’t Tesla approved?
Yep you can (as long as they are similar to the same spec that you have - ie 235/45/R18 98Y XL)

My 2019 M3 came with 18inch PS4's but the newer 2020/21 model comes with Hankook Ventus S1 Eco3. So i'm getting the Hankooks next (around £121 per tyre).

Also quite a few people say the Vredestein Quatrac Pro's are also very good