TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tyres with the designation 'TO'

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Black Monday, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Black Monday

Black Monday Member

Does anyone know what the 'TO' designation means on a tyre?

Thanks!

2. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

T0 means it’s been designed to the specs set out by the original manufacturer for use on the car. T is Tesla and 0 is the first revision. T1 would be more modern design etc. Sometimes keeping a T0 on an older Tesla would be the right thing to do for the age rather than just going for the newest T revision.

• Informative x 1
  3. seclinton

seclinton Member

Hmmm...Tesla mobile service just replaced one 21" Continental Sport tire for me. $450 installed. He told me to locate the TO which he said was "Tesla Only" due to the rating becasue our cars are so heavy. Perhaps he was wrong in the TO.

4. webbah

webbah Member

He is correct. TO tires have foam inserts (debatable if they actually reduce noise) and different tire compounds for rolling resistance and weight.

5. seclinton

seclinton Member

Yeah I saw the foam insert during the remounting in the Mobile service van. If every service visit was like that there’d be half the threads on this forum.

off topic, but I found since doing some in and out of warranty work on my wife’s Model X and my Model S, service is getting much better.

6. Asterix187

Asterix187 Member

Pretty certain it T zero no O. Used to have N tyres for my 911, N being Porsche and tended to get N2 to match the age of the car. N4 was designed for much newer versions.

7. croman

croman Active Member

Definitely T0 and T1 is the newest one. I just ordered the OEM Goodyear Eagle about 4 months ago from Tire Rack and T1 just appeared in their system but it was not available for what they estimated as 6 months as its an OEM and Tesla needed it (Ravens use it and it has even lower rolling resistance than T0 and thus helps give that extra longe range for the Raven).

• Informative x 2
  8. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

Yeah interesting; and the new ones are cheaper?

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 6.12.45 PM.png

Or get the ones without the foam that many allege does nothing; on sale

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 6.17.27 PM.png

• Informative x 1
  9. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

10. Black Monday

Black Monday Member

Thanks for the info regarding 'T0'.

Does anyone know when 'T0' first appeared?