Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tysons Mall now installing new bunch of chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere within visual distance from the NADA HQ on Westpark Drive - frankly with the Rotunda Condos across they street they could put a 20 station supercharger in just for the Condo Association, with the density of right market, right location! The Rotunda has 3000 people living there and 1100 parking spaces as well as the right demographic for a Tesla owner, or another less powerful option. I went to the tesla website and did a search for apartment and condo charging solutions and nothing came up -- that needs to change... they could at least but something in the storefront to say - call us for condo and apartment charging solutions...

Google Maps

Last edited:
I assume this is the Tysons Gallery parking in parking structure "C" at Tysons Mall? That matches the "2 HPWC" description in the OP.

I'm not sure that the intent is for those to be open-access chargers, but rather are for the use of the Gallery. Certainly they have been gracious about allowing a Tesla owner to charge there in a pinch, especially early on when there were far fewer cars on the road. But I've gotten the impression more recently that they aren't really intended for that.

I note that the location is not listed as a destination charger on Tesla's page. It is listed as a Gallery/Showroom, however... but the description makes no reference to available chargers.

I was there on Sunday, these are just HPWC's. It looks like they will be ready in the next few days. I never thought to get pictures, but a few still had plastic on them and a few still had wires to attach. Disappointing as I was low on charge and had a few hours to kill while my daughter was in the mall with a bunch of her basketball teammates.

These 8 were all Gen 2 chargers, the two old Gen 1 chargers were disconnected and just laying under the stairs. Garage C Level 1

Definitely not Urban Superchargers.

Last edited:
I assume this is the Tysons Gallery parking in parking structure "C" at Tysons Mall? That matches the "2 HPWC" description in the OP.

I'm not sure that the intent is for those to be open-access chargers, but rather are for the use of the Gallery. Certainly they have been gracious about allowing a Tesla owner to charge there in a pinch, especially early on when there were far fewer cars on the road. But I've gotten the impression more recently that they aren't really intended for that.

I note that the location is not listed as a destination charger on Tesla's page. It is listed as a Gallery/Showroom, however... but the description makes no reference to available chargers.
Is the Gallery going back to going demos? Back when they did and that's what the HPWCs were for, but recently they have been directing people to Tysons (Tyco) for demo rides. I thought these new HPWCs were for the general public (and I knew they were HPWCs) and that's why I noted the video by Erik and David in Denver, same sort of thing. A mall garage with a ton of HPWCs.

This location at the mall here was right at one of the pedestrian bridges to Nordstrom's, and I always thought the cars parked there recently (last couple of years) were local owners taking advantage of the parking and the HPWCs.

Is the Gallery going back to going demos? Back when they did and that's what the HPWCs were for, but recently they have been directing people to Tysons (Tyco) for demo rides. I thought these new HPWCs were for the general public (and I knew they were HPWCs) and that's why I noted the video by Erik and David in Denver, same sort of thing. A mall garage with a ton of HPWCs.

This location at the mall here was right at one of the pedestrian bridges to Nordstrom's, and I always thought the cars parked there recently (last couple of years) were local owners taking advantage of the parking and the HPWCs.

Your correct they used to be for demos, now everyone is charging there. This is probably why there changing them out. I have seen almost 15 cars sitting there wanting to charge. I used to go there looking for Model X's when they first hit the street.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
They are now online, now when full we can charge at 20 amps, oh boy, but we are charging.
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg

I think that will need a guinea pig with someone with a 72/80 Amp car. :D

Looking at the cabling, I wonder if it's a 100 Amp with load sharing? It does look like four units on that one branch... maybe?

You are correct originally it was two 100 amp feeds charging the two demo cars. Now it is four car chargers sharing the 80 amps available.

What is the maximum charge rate? 80 amp's or less?

Yes so the 80 amps will be digitally shared between the four units shared evenly, best case one car 80 amps. 2 cars 40 amps each, three cars 27 amps, and finally 4 cars 20 amps. Two 75D's should be able to charge at full power no problem on each feeder.

Im currently charging at 32 amps at my local 1772 level 3 charger. It's good for the most part. I'll go home and top off the rest of the way.

Now the question is, does that sign say anything, or, what's to stop (ICE) people from parking there? If I remember, these are primo spots. :D

Even at Christmas I have not seen them Ice'd. Of course there are 15 tesla's trying to charge.