Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U-Haul Hitch for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a hitch from U-Haul? I priced it online to just under $355.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-30 U-Haul Select an install location.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-30 U-Haul Select an install location.png
    101 KB · Views: 325
Yes I have installed the hitch, I actually just ordered it to my house and installed it myself. I ended up buying 1/16" thick rubber sheet from amazon and cut templates to put between the hitch and car (from what I read online even with the model S) the little plastic washers don't work in the long run.
The install wasn't flawless by any means, even though the hitch had slotted holes in it, I still needed to grind the slots bigger to fit the factory studs on the car. Also the angle on the hitch didn't quite match the angle on the bumper itself, but once torqued down it was fine.
Another tip is to ensure you have an extra set of hands to put the bumper cover back on.
I have recently bought the hitch wiring harness from U-Haul as well (seems to be cheapest around) and am looking to install that this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: Aphinity and ciuvak
Yes I have installed the hitch, I actually just ordered it to my house and installed it myself. I ended up buying 1/16" thick rubber sheet from amazon and cut templates to put between the hitch and car (from what I read online even with the model S) the little plastic washers don't work in the long run.
The install wasn't flawless by any means, even though the hitch had slotted holes in it, I still needed to grind the slots bigger to fit the factory studs on the car. Also the angle on the hitch didn't quite match the angle on the bumper itself, but once torqued down it was fine.
Another tip is to ensure you have an extra set of hands to put the bumper cover back on.
I have recently bought the hitch wiring harness from U-Haul as well (seems to be cheapest around) and am looking to install that this weekend.
Sounds like a pretty easy DIY. Do you have any pictures/videos? Also very interested about the wiring harness.
Did you have it shipped to your house or did you pick it up at U-Haul? How much was your total cost?

Sounds like a pretty easy DIY. Do you have any pictures/videos? Also very interested about the wiring harness.
Did you have it shipped to your house or did you pick it up at U-Haul? How much was your total cost?

I don't have any videos or pics, but I used this video as my primary resource
This of course is for a hidden hitch style, but the process is basically the same.

I did not ship the wire harness to my house, just picked it up locally at a U-Haul as they wanted $30 to ship a $50 part.

Cost of the hitch shipped was $234 with tax
Rubber sheet from Amazon was $13
Wiring harness was $49.95 +tax

Reactions: ciuvak
I don't have any videos or pics, but I used this video as my primary resource
This of course is for a hidden hitch style, but the process is basically the same.
I did not ship the wire harness to my house, just picked it up locally at a U-Haul as they wanted $30 to ship a $50 part.
Cost of the hitch shipped was $234 with tax
Rubber sheet from Amazon was $13
Wiring harness was $49.95 +tax
OK, thanks for the video.
Can you please post a picture of the installed hitch on your car? Just wondering how far is sticks out and the looks in general.
In regards to the wiring harness, I assume it's some sort of universal model, right? Do you have to disassemble the bumper again to install the wiring?
Would be cool if it would be possible to pick up both the hitch and the wiring harness at the local U-Haul, to avoid paying any shipping :)

Wow , that is an impressive DIY job!
I had the eco hidden hitch put on by a local shop as I did not want to screw up the look of my white M3 with a black hitch potentially sticking out like a sore thumb. Like the fact that the receiver can be completely removed in winter with no evidence left.I had a U-Haul hitch on my is350 f-sport and took it off completely every winter as it looked pretty ugly.

Can you please post a picture of the installed hitch on your car? Just wondering how far is sticks out and the looks in general.
In regards to the wiring harness, I assume it's some sort of universal model, right? Do you have to disassemble the bumper again to install the wiring?
Would be cool if it would be possible to pick up both the hitch and the wiring harness at the local U-Haul, to avoid paying any shipping :)

See pictures below. Yes the wiring harness is a universal model, I do not have to disassemble the bumper again, I am still debating on having the main trailer wire come out of the trunk lid or fish it through to the under side so it is right near the hitch (this can be done without taking the bumper off as there is air vents along the side that i plan to go through).
I was debating on getting this wire harness at the beginning as well, but thought that I may be able to find a different solution. There haven't been many posts about people adding the harness to the car and from what I read the 2019 version has a module/wires built in already under the bumper cover (mine is a 2018). Most people with hitches use them for bike racks etc, myself included, but thought I would add this as a just in case option.

IMG_8574.JPG
IMG_8578.JPG

Oh and a FYI, the shipping is free once you get to a certain dollar amount (when I shipped the hitch it was free shipping, but just the wire harness didn't meet the threshold).

Oh and a FYI, the shipping is free once you get to a certain dollar amount (when I shipped the hitch it was free shipping, but just the wire harness didn't meet the threshold).
Thanks for the pictures and all the other details. Very useful.
Doesn't look as fancy as the removable ones, but not too bad anyway. And so much cheaper.

To all, I did install the wiring harness yesterday (Curt part#59236) and it went very smoothly. Took maybe 1.5 hours to complete. I did end up leaving the connector in the trunk, I still may route it to the bottom.
Again I used the video below as a reference only as I did have different connectors from amazon (see link below).
With these connectors I had to strip the wire going to the module as the wire is much heaver gauge.
The power wire was quite easy to run, I ran it inside the car (not outside like the video). I ran it up the passenger side and I was able to put it behind the trunk sides and then shoved it under the plastic trim/seats all the way to the front under the passenger dash (I did not have to remove any of these pieces, as the wire just slid under it, quite easy). Then if you remove the lower plastic piece under the glove box, there is a large grommet with 2 orange wires coming out of it (see pic below), I poked a hole through this and then shoved the wire through. From there you can see the wire coming into the frunk (after removing a few clip in plastic pieces) and connected it to the battery.
Note that I have note tried it with an actually trailer yet, just a multi-meter to verify that the pins are receiving the appropriate power during signals/brakes/lights.

Connectors used: https://www.amazon.ca/Kalolary-Conn...=wire+t+connectors&qid=1593699975&s=hi&sr=1-5)

Grommet used for power wire:
IMG_8608[1].JPG

IMG_8611[1].JPG

Video source:

1467F0A6-B340-41E5-B3D0-E6636B99A233.jpeg
I hope you didn’t run anything to the battery, the big 12v post under the back seat is perfect, I am running 2 amplifiers from it no errors been months.

Just latch all the doors shut and wait a few minutes, the main relay shuts off and you can remove the bolt and add a fused connection.

The 2 small wiring looms you see are mine not factory

Last edited:
View attachment 560672 I hope you didn’t run anything to the battery, the big 12v post under the back seat is perfect, I am running 2 amplifiers from it no errors been months.

Just latch all the doors shut and wait a few minutes, the main relay shuts off and you can remove the bolt and add a fused connection.

The 2 small wiring looms you see are mine not factory

How do you work on things if all the doors are closed? Is there any documentation on using this power source? I couldn’t find much ...

How do you work on things if all the doors are closed? Is there any documentation on using this power source? I couldn’t find much ...
You open the door stick a screwdriver or a key in the latch and mimc it being closed. Keep the windows down so that the glass does not close, if it does and you close the door you will scratch the chrome trim.

Keep your phone away from the car as well

Reactions: Gordeee