Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U-Haul Trailer Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the X height is 15.5 inches and the U-Haul trailer is 18 inch - the offset should be ~2.5 inches. Is that fine?

I think there is wiggle room in the hitch offset if you aren't maxing out the tow limits.

Here's Tesla's "official" hitching video
Official Tesla trailer video...oops?

Also you can find some pictures of the Airstream Mobile Design Studio. Based on some pictures they are using an adjustable hitch. And just eyeballing looks to be at least 3-4" rise from the top of the hitch receiver!

Reactions: K-MTG
I can't see the attached photo. Do you recommend the hitch you previously linked in this scenario or something else? Since the X height is 15.5 inches and the U-Haul trailer is 18 inch - the offset should be ~2.5 inches. Is that fine?

The photo shows me using the exact same hitch I linked. I've used it to tow a variety of trailers; without any issues including a U-haul trailer. 99% of the time, it's my go to hitch. (Note, just realized this wasn't mentioned yet; you'll also need a hitch pin!) It's light, easy, reliable, and fits within specs. I definitely recommend it.

If you're looking to spend a little more, I also have a 3/4" rise hitch (claimed, it's actually 1") I bought it because it seemed to fit within specs (it doesn't) and came in a case that made it neat and easy to carry. I pair it with a weigh-safe 2" hitch ball with a 2 5/8" adapter for when I'm towing larger loads/trailers. While it's taller, I don't typically prefer this hitch setup as it's quite a bit heavier than the one I recommended above.
But here's the link as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QJZNCS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The photo shows me using the exact same hitch I linked. I've used it to tow a variety of trailers; without any issues including a U-haul trailer. 99% of the time, it's my go to hitch. (Note, just realized this wasn't mentioned yet; you'll also need a hitch pin!) It's light, easy, reliable, and fits within specs. I definitely recommend it.

If you're looking to spend a little more, I also have a 3/4" rise hitch (claimed, it's actually 1") I bought it because it seemed to fit within specs (it doesn't) and came in a case that made it neat and easy to carry. I pair it with a weigh-safe 2" hitch ball with a 2 5/8" adapter for when I'm towing larger loads/trailers. While it's taller, I don't typically prefer this hitch setup as it's quite a bit heavier than the one I recommended above.
But here's the link as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QJZNCS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea this one seems to be sold out as well. I will purchase the other one you linked. Thanks

Is this hitch pin fine? 1/2 in. x 3-3/4 in. Hitch Pin with Clip
Or this one from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2MhVCdv ?

Last edited:
Remember to stay in the right lane, look far ahead so you can react smoothly to any issues and signal lane changes well in advance. Also, stay mindful of the trailer's height.

Trailer loading tips:

- More weight ahead of the trailer's axle, staying within the hitch's capacity. Minimizes trailer swaying back and forth, keeps the tow connection solid.

- Heavier stuff down low. Makes the trailer more stable.

After first 30 minutes of hauling loaded trailer, pull over to a safe place and inspect trailer hitch to ensure everything is still tight and ship-shape. Repeat at each SuC stop.

At first SuperCharger, consider opening trailer door to verify the load hasn't gone chaotic.

Also, at each SuC stop, as soon as you've got the charger connected, feel each tire sidewall - X and trailer - with the back of your hand. If any tire is warmer than the others, it's got low air pressure. It will take less time to pump it up than deal with a blow-out. If you have to add air to the same tire a second time, get it patched. Again, less disruptive than a blow-out.

If it were my car, I would inflate tires to pressure somewhere between Tesla's number on the driver's door jamb and max printed on tire sidewall. It's also worth checking trailer's tire air pressure. U-Haul staff goes home to supper every day, even if they overlook a tire or two. You've got more riding on those tires.

When I was young our family crossed the US twice pulling a 35-foot trailer that was our residence at each terminus and hotel in-between. A friend and I drove non-stop Dallas to Philadelphia pulling a 5x10 foot U-Haul trailer some years ago.

Yea this one seems to be sold out as well. I will purchase the other one you linked. Thanks

Is this hitch pin fine? 1/2 in. x 3-3/4 in. Hitch Pin with Clip
Or this one from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2MhVCdv ?

Either one works. I haven’t had one break on me, so I’d just pick the cheapest one unless you want a locking one. If you’re going to be stopping and leaving the load on questionable areas then you might want to pick up one that has a key to unlock.

I installed my hitch and received the 7 pin to 4/5 pin adapter per this post. when I opened the flap for the plug harness I found this.
It looks nothing like the 7 pin picture.

What is this below? Is this a EU or other Country plug?

@ohmman or @ecarfan any idea?

THanks in advance.

W9RHSKO02Z4zCuPr7zbTSiDwMZ7UnqddeylFsIxyoyoITPCa9hFri582H41f3SluL7GtIzODgXoJQz4xAiYaUIbYGxAzDdoSi34JBar-Qtt8ve5MAanr2FMajJN9017GN2Ea6hxbS6MHEkX3xX0BhyROJz5Be1lA1_h_bgVD-UWz7VRjqySzAAA5tbO1Bky6vt8EX_sFK1jK5Ht58N15BlFEp7LHCYO7vCd0J61HC8F-ec2rSU6VVukITzpukx_x2ggyjdPAHO4ZzS91SkvjuR8onZr9M0OtQON1CQahb5vR6Qs9eooK_A7ncr2sMNsQsspU5FZWKwXELrj0SjixgCgXKTomZ6jPkRMRSsUvTsVpnNOQKKVoqdGjM1BxDFZatNDNapCfmF1BvizJ4ekGzDC4nOEuJS4ag-CmKQrwhdwxwSooRp4AGigtf0IfsXHwpEfLtBQmcpB3oUnFTp7ZKO8NJe8N180kFxIBrT4ZV_MhzWj1LpQqShTf7VuY4mXu_9_hbLfApXDTJ6kzX8_N64EVHGzuXRCgql1Fu3C4N83dppxbaVsHlxz9SL0EfYh9xQrsEU4jLNLPwv2kNsdKVwMi6TvGxFSrTj9lsWR7ZL5wNZW6gcKbMViIcjaWyx8lMYa2BpSna2DBq94V_fwCRB7V-q8kTt26=w1623-h1217-no