Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Hyundai Ioniq Review includes EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Llewellyn goes over the top about the paddle wheels on the steering wheel to control regen. Seems like a useless gimmick that makes is more difficult to drive. You now have accelerator and brake pedals plus fiddling with the steering wheel paddles to control speed.

If the Ioniq prices like a Leaf S, about $30K then there's usually a Nissan discount around $4,000, then $7500 fed, $2500 (califonia) and purchase price gets down to $16,000. It's a decent looking and performing car for this price.

Looks like they are working on an autonomous version. Software looks similar to ours.

2016 Hyundai Autonomous Ioniq Concept

hyundai-unveils-auto-18_800x0w.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: gene

I had the opportunity to drive the Ioniq BEV this week in New Zealand.

Overall it's a nice looking car and has a real feeling of "normality" about it. By that I mean it didn't look weird and it didn't drive weird - reassuring for folks who haven't driven an EV before, and possibly a good corporate fleet vehicle as well.

The ride is smooth and the driver's controls are fairly intuitive. They have ditched a "gear stick" in favour of 3 buttons - D, P, R. The car is fairly roomy and seems well put together. Unfortunately this normality maybe something of a weakness. It still only has a 22kWh battery and despite getting a creditable 220km range, the car is by no means as quick or nimble as you might expect from an EV. This means that the vehicle is in no way memorable or gives you that buzz of being part of the EV revolution.

That said, the Ioniq is affordable, sensible and represents a strong start from Hyundai. Go team EV!

• Informative
Reactions: gene
I had the opportunity to drive the Ioniq BEV this week in New Zealand.

Overall it's a nice looking car and has a real feeling of "normality" about it. By that I mean it didn't look weird and it didn't drive weird - reassuring for folks who haven't driven an EV before, and possibly a good corporate fleet vehicle as well.

The ride is smooth and the driver's controls are fairly intuitive. They have ditched a "gear stick" in favour of 3 buttons - D, P, R. The car is fairly roomy and seems well put together. Unfortunately this normality maybe something of a weakness. It still only has a 22kWh battery and despite getting a creditable 220km range, the car is by no means as quick or nimble as you might expect from an EV. This means that the vehicle is in no way memorable or gives you that buzz of being part of the EV revolution.

That said, the Ioniq is affordable, sensible and represents a strong start from Hyundai. Go team EV!
Sounds like just what is needed... a "normal" car which is an EV.

And Superchargers

The car was getting crazy good mileage despite the winter, maybe the best of any EV due to smaller size and aerodynamics. He was typically driving rather slow too due to the weather conditions (freezing rain). There are a lot DCFC's around Norway, so given that people generally will be traveling shorter distances than drivers here, I think it's going to do pretty well. Can't argue with always wanting a bigger battery though ;).

RT

P.S. When these are available in LA (first market I hear) I will take one for a spin and report back. My Soul EV lease is up in December 2017, and my Model 3 reservation was early on 3-31, so I'll have to make some kind of decision a bit less than a year from now. Love the Soul, no problems at all, but another thread is discussing long term battery degradation, which I don't want any part of. Not for $32,000.

The car was getting crazy good mileage despite the winter, maybe the best of any EV due to smaller size and aerodynamics. He was typically driving rather slow too due to the weather conditions (freezing rain). There are a lot DCFC's around Norway, so given that people generally will be traveling shorter distances than drivers here, I think it's going to do pretty well. Can't argue with always wanting a bigger battery though ;).

RT

P.S. When these are available in LA (first market I hear) I will take one for a spin and report back. My Soul EV lease is up in December 2017, and my Model 3 reservation was early on 3-31, so I'll have to make some kind of decision a bit less than a year from now. Love the Soul, no problems at all, but another thread is discussing long term battery degradation, which I don't want any part of. Not for $32,000.
It would be good to have a viable alternative.