Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. price - import from Japan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here so apologies if topic has already been discussed in the forum.
I have been looking at Model S prices and the UK price seems quite high compared to some other countries. At first I thought it could be due to the RHD issue but I took a quick look at the Tesla Japanese website, and it appears that a 70D is about 7.4 MM yen which translates to ... ~ 38K GBP. So on the surface, it appears to be about 12K GBP cheaper and options seem to 700 pounds cheaper. I am sure there are reasons for this and I don't speak or read japanese so I don't know if I am comparing apples to apples but I am curious as to why the price difference for us U.K. resides is so high.

I am sure there are a lot of roadblocks (ahem) but could one import one from Japan? I saw some reference in an auto mag about prices being reduced in Germany and a quote from some Tesla to fair pricing. Perhaps there are some extenuating circumstances but it appears to me that prices are much higher in the U.K..

The maths comparing US cars to UK RHD have been done numerous times and always come out close once all taxes and VAT have been applied, this follows Tesla policy for cars to be around the same price worldwide Don't think Japan to UK has been discussed, however I'd guess once all taxes and duties etc have been applied the price would be back in the ball park

Tesla more or less charge the same for the car everywhere. Any differences are down to transportation costs, local taxes, duty and exchange rates, which you will have to find your way around if you decide to buy new in Japan and then export to the UK.

Warranty and localisation would be two things to consider as well: will Tesla support a Japanese car in the UK? Are you able to operate the car if the UI is all in Japanese? Will the Japanese autopilot support UK speed limits and road signs? Could be a bit of a minefield...

Newbie here so apologies if topic has already been discussed in the forum.
I have been looking at Model S prices and the UK price seems quite high compared to some other countries. At first I thought it could be due to the RHD issue but I took a quick look at the Tesla Japanese website, and it appears that a 70D is about 7.4 MM yen which translates to ... ~ 38K GBP. So on the surface, it appears to be about 12K GBP cheaper and options seem to 700 pounds cheaper.

You've been conned by the stupid headline prices "including savings on tax and petrol". If you open the detail pane on the right hand side, you find that the actual yen price is 9510000, which translates to GBP 49,585

Since there's similar nonsense on the UK site, it's hard to tell what the actual UK price is without placing an order (with the actual real government grant of £5000, and their fictitious £5000 petrol saving, it's not clear which figures include which).

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP