Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Private Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this question too and was told I would have to transfer after delivery on their plates. That’s fine, I have already ordered my vinyl front and standard rear private plates ready to swap when I get home. It’s all immediate on line these days and a quick call to the insurance company should complete the swap.

Reactions: Roy W.
I asked this question too and was told I would have to transfer after delivery on their plates. That’s fine, I have already ordered my vinyl front and standard rear private plates ready to swap when I get home. It’s all immediate on line these days and a quick call to the insurance company should complete the swap.

You won't be able to do it when you get home as you need the document reference number from the V5, you'll have to wait for it to arrive

I changed my car in June last year and merely had to revert to original reg. on my (then) current car with the DVLC and in due course supply all details to Tesla Birmingham SC. They registered the new car and I picked it up complete with my private reg.

Hi all

So I have just purchased my private number plate for my Tesla 3 - which is yet to be delivered....

I am confused as to know, as my family company has purchased the vehicle, however I am going to be the main driver and keeper of the vehicle....

On the Tesla portal (my account) how can you find out what Tesla will use to put on the registration of the vehicle on the V5? Will they use what is here:

Registration Details

The registrant(s) need to be present for delivery.

If so, mine is laid out as follows:

My name
Company name
Companies address
Company Registration number GB XXXX XXXXX XXXX

However if I am to be the registered keeper of the vehicle and then with the company owning the vehicle, do I need to get this changed to

My name
Company name
My personal address?

I ask this as I am not sure whether I should change on DVLA where my private number plate is to change the nominee name and address of the private plate I have bought to this so I can get it put on the car?

Any help would be great....

Many Thanks in advance

Hi all

So I have just purchased my private number plate for my Tesla 3 - which is yet to be delivered....

I am confused as to know, as my family company has purchased the vehicle, however I am going to be the main driver and keeper of the vehicle....

On the Tesla portal (my account) how can you find out what Tesla will use to put on the registration of the vehicle on the V5? Will they use what is here:

Registration Details

The registrant(s) need to be present for delivery.

If so, mine is laid out as follows:

My name
Company name
Companies address
Company Registration number GB XXXX XXXXX XXXX

However if I am to be the registered keeper of the vehicle and then with the company owning the vehicle, do I need to get this changed to

My name
Company name
My personal address?

I ask this as I am not sure whether I should change on DVLA where my private number plate is to change the nominee name and address of the private plate I have bought to this so I can get it put on the car?

Any help would be great....

Many Thanks in advance
Hello. You have come to the right place (me!) as my circumstances match yours and I’ve just swapped the plate yesterday.

I own my car through a personal service company, which is the name of the registered keeper of the car, but registered at my home address. I did the plate transfer online which takes minutes. The plate is in my own name, naturally.

Does that help or not?

Hello. You have come to the right place (me!) as my circumstances match yours and I’ve just swapped the plate yesterday.

I own my car through a personal service company, which is the name of the registered keeper of the car, but registered at my home address. I did the plate transfer online which takes minutes. The plate is in my own name, naturally.

Does that help or not?

Hi Anthony

So first, we are confused on the Tesla account portal.....

there is a bit on 'completed tasks' that says Registration Details and then it states my personal name, then below that the company name (family company) who is actually purchasing the vehicle and therefore will own it (not me personally). I want to know if these details should be my own personal details which are a different address to the company. Will they be using these details here for registering the keeper or should these still be the owner? I am going to ring Tesla Monday as they are shut today but wanted to see if anyone knew on here.

Secondly, I have bought myself a private plate and on DVLA says it should be the same address and name that will be on the v5c? as the V750 which is the certificate you get for the new plate apparently needs to match those on the v5c which I beleive shows the registered keeper... so just looking to see here too if I need to swap the nominee name on the number plate to the company name and company address or my personal details?

Many Thanks

Hi Anthony

So first, we are confused on the Tesla account portal.....

there is a bit on 'completed tasks' that says Registration Details and then it states my personal name, then below that the company name (family company) who is actually purchasing the vehicle and therefore will own it (not me personally). I want to know if these details should be my own personal details which are a different address to the company. Will they be using these details here for registering the keeper or should these still be the owner? I am going to ring Tesla Monday as they are shut today but wanted to see if anyone knew on here.

Secondly, I have bought myself a private plate and on DVLA says it should be the same address and name that will be on the v5c? as the V750 which is the certificate you get for the new plate apparently needs to match those on the v5c which I beleive shows the registered keeper... so just looking to see here too if I need to swap the nominee name on the number plate to the company name and company address or my personal details?

Many Thanks

My car was bought in my company name - that's the name of the registered keeper on the V5C. But the address I gave for the company was my home address not my business address (which is a Mailboxes etc and not allowed for V5C anyway). So the V5C says my company name with my home address - no mention of me.

The private plate was on a retention certificate with my name and home address (no mention of the company.)

I had zero difficulty putting my plate on my company car using the DVLA's online portal.

I did discuss with Tesla what the correct registered keeper would be. They said it was fine to do what I did. The V5C has big bold letters on the front saying "THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP. It shows who is responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle."

So I think it's your name on the V5C. For my circumstances as it is my own personal services company it's no big deal that it has the company name.

Hope that helps.

My car was bought in my company name - that's the name of the registered keeper on the V5C. But the address I gave for the company was my home address not my business address (which is a Mailboxes etc and not allowed for V5C anyway). So the V5C says my company name with my home address - no mention of me.

The private plate was on a retention certificate with my name and home address (no mention of the company.)

I had zero difficulty putting my plate on my company car using the DVLA's online portal.

I did discuss with Tesla what the correct registered keeper would be. They said it was fine to do what I did. The V5C has big bold letters on the front saying "THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP. It shows who is responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle."

So I think it's your name on the V5C. For my circumstances as it is my own personal services company it's no big deal that it has the company name.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Anthony, So I should have my own personal name and address for the v5C and not the company? Then as when getting insurance quote, I can state that I am the registered keeper but the owner is the company as I will be buying the insurance, not the company...

I will give them a call tomorrow.

Many Thanks in advance

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Mine was September 2018 but same as above they wouldn’t put them on.

However the SC was super helpful knowing I was going to put a private plate on the car once the V5 came through, they made up my private plates for me and was in the boot when I went to collect the car, plates were FOC so was very pleased with them.

plate transfer is all online now, gone of the days going and getting in a Q to move plates so just hang fire until the v5 comes through and swap them over not a big deal.