Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Speed Camera Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just seems a bit daft to me when the car has an always-on connection.

Yup, agreed, but whilst the traffic data on Tesla SatNav is good, Waze is better. And Tesla only has Traffic, not breakdowns, Roadworks, Police, Potholes and a bunch of other stuff. I figure no point having the 90% data solution if a 99% solution is available.

Quite possibly Google Maps / another is better still, I've been too lazy to compare them. I am doubtful that TomTom is better in this regard (Waze is crowd sourced and "free" so has plenty of crowd source data - I'm often surprised how many other Wazers are about on the rural roads that I travel on ...)

My thoughts is to probably run Waze in parallel with the in built SatNav. Or at least having it running on a phone giving me warnings of Speed Cameras/accidents/potholes via audio.

This maybe the only option for now. With my current Audi S4 and its VC I also did not have an option for speed cam warning but there is a third party add on from speed camera database which allows you to add in as a option via USB so it overlays over the google mapping. Not sure if you can do that in the Tesla Model 3

▷ Audi A4 B9 MMI Navigation plus MMI touch (4G) update. Speedcam for your maps. Download update. Free custom download.

which allows you to add in as a option via USB

(I presume that's a fixed database rather than a real-time USB "device"?) Waze is real time so someone sees a police car, presses the "I aw a police car" button and all other cars approaching that point get the warning (along with a Tick/Cross so Waze figures that people confirming it means it is still there, and then a bunch of [x] clicks means "its gone" :)

Not perfect - increasing the "alert distance" for Police is a frequently requested change that has not been implemented, and the alert distance is short for a laser (but you can check the road-ahead-summary to see how far ahead each "obstacle" is)

Reactions: Roy W.
I find it strange that Tesla does not have traffic camera warnings. I have a loaner Lexus UX at the moment while my wife's car is serviced and this has traffic camera warnings. Very unlike Tesla.
I think it's because it's expressly illegal in some countries. So it requires tailoring for certain markets which probably isn't a priority.

Am hoping they add it though.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
There is an outfit called Pocket GPS World I used to subscribe (£20pa) many years ago that provide regular lists for all sorts of Sat Navs and it looks like they have something for IOS and Android too.
They're still about and still active.
Apparently if you find a new unlisted speed camera and upload it's location you can win a years subscription.