Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.K. Supercharger Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why to wait?! it's rare occasion you really need to charge more than 30 mins.
just plug in, walk to reception (5 mins), validate, go to the loo, walk back to the car. car is already topped up and good to go.
Just because You never know exactly how long it will take. It may be rare for YOU to charge for more than 30 minutes there but I live a long way from Heathrow.

I don't think SuperChargers are going to be that big a deal for me going forward, sure if they are in the most convenient location I'll be using them, but if they aren't there seem to be more an more choices.

An annual long route I do is Oxford - Kintyre. Using SuperChargers I get to Charnock Richard for a first charge, which gets pretty busy and is v2 so you end up sharing. Next stop is Abington where you are pretty likely to have to queue in holiday times, and then share a V2.

Now I can skip them both, go a little further to the new Gridserve hub at Burton in Kendal, then either FasNed at Motherwell or Ionity in Glasgow. Saving a few £ doesn't really matter very much, but getting faster charging than a shared v2 will. I guess I'll see how busy these non-Tesla sites get.

SuC is on 50p atm. At what price would you call it quits and look for cheaper alternatives?

Assuming I put 60kWh in that's £30. I suppose 10% is a difference that I would "notice", so £3 saving ... that's 6kWh and, say, 18 miles "saved". I won't be tolerating anything that is out-of-my-way for that saving ... but at, say, 20% saving I might put up with some extra miles, but if that is also time then "not much"

Lack of availability of such cheaper alternatives would be the conundrum (for now)

Its a shame Zapmap does not have a feature to filter by installation size the way ABRP does so I can easily find where the larger hubs are

I would propose that if that was your commute you'd know about the choices, and if it is the once-a-year holiday you (i.e. a hypothetical ICE driver) are probably just rocking up at Motorway services and paying through the nose

best to wait until you are nearly done then

[Heathrow Hilton] They used to provide a discount in Restaurant etc. Dunno if they still do? Might be a reason to "register" sooner

how often did you charge your tesla for more than 30 mins on SC?

On a long journey then every time I stop for a meal :)

I don't think SuperChargers are going to be that big a deal for me going forward,

Bjorns trips, these days, seems to be "stop wherever convenient" and any brand of charger (although as a high mileage / frequent driver he has good local knowledge of course), so a glimpse of how it will be once UK infrastructure catches up with demand. Tipping point will be when ICE drivers start having to plan for "Where can I find a pump that hasn't been removed" :)

I went from a Model-S P90D to a LR Raven. Motorway Range went from about 250 miles to 300, and with it Supercharging from a couple of days a month to a few times a year (my out-and-back client visits mostly fit under the 300-mile trip). I don't know if >100kWh battery is ever likely to be a thing (except trucks / towing etc.), but improved efficiency, and also increased battery density (i.e. less weight) will bring more range-per-kWh. So maybe the "Average EV Car Choice" will move to better / more affordable range and thus less frequent charging on Trips? So fewer-charged and chargers-everywhere will solve the problem - in probably less than 5 year's time - not far removed from "your next car-change". Definitely only a short term problem IMO ...

I’m hoping my white interior will mean more of a chance of getting it sooner as they are less popular

The trick is to order the least-popular & most over-produced options from the site handing over the most cars. If you figure out how then ... suggest you keep it to yourself!

If I arrive at 10% it takes best part of an hour to get to 100% ...
why would you charge to 100%?!

it makes absolutely no sense. with 90% (or even 80%) you will drive for like 3 hours anyway. but charging last 10% is the least efficient time wise (and slowest)
You can charge from 10% to 80% in under 30 minutes, then drive for another 3 hrs (or stop at next SC before your destination) and charge back to 80% and it will take more or less same time than to wait to 100%
from 2% SOC
it's 26 minutes to reach 80%
it's 37 minutes to reach 90%
and from there, from 90% to 100% you charge at 17 or less kW and last 10% is another 20 minutes.

so in order to reach 100% from 90% you spend same time as you spend to charge from 2% to 80%... it makes absolutely no sense, time wise, to charge to 100%. you just wasting your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACarneiro
why would you charge to 100%?!

Because I need to eat, and in that time charging to 100% means I gain an extra, say, 30% over what I would get at a normal charge (10%-to-100% rather than 10%-to-70%), and that then means 30% less charging at the next stop (or skip that location for the next one).

For example, Alps to Home is about 2 hours charging (over the 700 miles). With a well placed 1-hour meal charger-stop (or an overnight stop to 100% on a destination charger) that leaves 3 x 20 minute stops. Otherwise it is 5 short-ish stops.

Because I need to eat, and in that time charging to 100% means I gain an extra, say, 30% over what I would get at a normal charge (10%-to-100% rather than 10%-to-70%), and that then means 30% less charging at the next stop (or skip that location for the next one).

For example, Alps to Home is about 2 hours charging (over the 700 miles). With a well placed 1-hour meal charger-stop (or an overnight stop to 100% on a destination charger) that leaves 3 x 20 minute stops. Otherwise it is 5 short-ish stops.
tru

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Its a shame Zapmap does not have a feature to filter by installation size the way ABRP does so I can easily find where the larger hubs are. If anyone knows of a convenient way to do that please let me know.
It does (in the app only, not the website) but only for paying customers.

It is a bit quirky though (or was, last time I used it - I'm no longer subscribed). It you filter on minimum 50kW and minimum 4 chargers at the site, it will happily show you sites with two rapids and two fast chargers. Which, whilst technically arguably what you asked for, is not really what you wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71
@Jason71 There is also this map which I find quite useful, maintained by hand by @Pixelmatt at the SpeakEV forums, which shows all hubs of 6 or more rapids (that are open to all EVs).

Thread here: Charging Hub Locations. If you find any hubs he's missed, post there and I'm sure he'll add them. BTW, if you're interested in keeping up with non-Tesla charging development, the Charging Locations subforum at SpeakEV is well worth following.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71 and btc1k
Is that the only way to see the cost? Seems a bit cumbersome to me.

Click on the map to bring up the map controls. Then click on the lightning bolt icon (below satellite view and traffic toggle) to bring up the charger location screen. Tap any Supercharger pin in the world to see its price.

Alternatively, click on NAVIGATE, then click on CHARGING, then click on any Supercharger pin in the world to see its price.

Prices will only show if you don't have free unlimited Supercharging. If you have FUSC, it will only show you the idle fees.

Reactions: Overworked
@Jason71 There is also this map which I find quite useful, maintained by hand by @Pixelmatt at the SpeakEV forums, which shows all hubs of 6 or more rapids (that are open to all EVs).

Thread here: Charging Hub Locations. If you find any hubs he's missed, post there and I'm sure he'll add them. BTW, if you're interested in keeping up with non-Tesla charging development, the Charging Locations subforum at SpeakEV is well worth following.
Lots of existing sites missing on that map, I find this one more complete and shows planned sites as well Where will the next ultra-rapid charging hubs be built?

Funnily enough, I would consider speed of charging over cost. Turning up at a SuC then sharing snd getting a reduced rate is a pain. Do rival systems have the same weakness?
No but bear in mind the V2 is old now. Most of the rival ones that were put in at the same time as V2 chargers could only manage 50KW max anyway so were no better than a V2 that was sharing.

I did a 1,100 return trip to Scotland recently and the cost of superchargers was £132 for 22 hours on the road which is £6 an hour. I'm not going to nickel and dime over 50p/kWh costs at £6/hour. Besides, this trip was my first use of superchargers in the 18 months I'd owned the car, so I took the cost on the chin. Range anxiety evaporated after the first charge and 2 hours of driving.

I did a 1,100 return trip to Scotland recently and the cost of superchargers was £132 for 22 hours on the road which is £6 an hour. I'm not going to nickel and dime over 50p/kWh costs at £6/hour. Besides, this trip was my first use of superchargers in the 18 months I'd owned the car, so I took the cost on the chin. Range anxiety evaporated after the first charge and 2 hours of driving.
~11p a mile while using SCs. Not bad. Roughly half the cost ICE 40 mpg would do ;)