TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

U.S. and E.U. standardization?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by TEG, Jun 22, 2011.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110621/OEM05/306219863/1429

Does this mean that J1772 will be adopted as a European standard?

EU Working With U.S. on Electric-Car Rules, De Gucht Says - Bloomberg

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Maybe. Having a U.S. and E.U. standard would definitely create less headache for vehicle manufactures and help knock down another barrier to worldwide EV adoption (which sounds like the goal of this standardization).

As for Europe adopting J1772, does it support 3-phase? I believe 3-phase is very common in Europe and if J1772 doesn't support 3-phase I could see a J1772 revision being released that supports 3-phase unless they decide to adopt an entirely new plug. I just hope the standard is chosen within the next year or so before too many EVs come to market with many different connections.

3. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I sure hope nobody gets upset with Tesla if the Model S (mid-2012) won't reflect the outcome of this process.

4. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Europe is 3-phase, you won't be able to charge with more then 32A on a single phase here. I don't see J1772 becoming the standard here.

Imho, the IEC62192-2-2 (Type 2) connector is much more robust and does everything J1772 does. I handles up to 70A (16.8kW) single phase and supports up to 63A three-phase (44kW!).

Compare the J1772 (Type 1) and the Type 2 connectors, they are almost the same (the pilot signal is), but Type 2 supports 3-phase.

I think it doesn't matter if a car supports J1772 in the US and IEC62192-2 in the EU, in are both compatible connectors which you can replace easily.

5. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

I don't think so... as others have said, 3 phase is critical in Mainland Europe (less so in the UK); I see a lot of government interest in V2G which is not natively supported by J1772; and we are comfortable with the idea of carrying charging cables because it allows us to plug in everywhere.

6. richkae

richkae VIN587

I am still 100% suspicious of everything GM does in the EV arena.
    I know they took a half step to redemption with the Volt, but I haven't forgiven them yet.
    I believe they still have significant motivation to undermine public charging, because pure EVs ( Leaf ) need it far more than the Volt does.
    The other players who don't have any kind of an EV are even more suspect, but GM has the dubious history of overcomplicating the NEC and other dirty tricks from the EV1 days.

Whenever I hear anyone discuss the need for standards, I am immediately suspicious that their prime motivation is to confuse the market and delay adoption.

7. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

.. and can (theoretically) handle DC fast charge up to 75,6KW [email protected]
    ( Plus on Pin L1+L2 , Minus on Pin L3+N )

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

It should be standardised on Mennekes. The EU is the bigger market :tongue:

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

EU = 220 million Cars
    North America = 280 million Cars