Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. and E.U. standardization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110621/OEM05/306219863/1429
"The EU and the U.S. are about to agree to an ambitious work plan aiming at aligning regulatory issues, standards and research" for those vehicles, EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht said in a speech in Washington today.
General Motors spokesman Rob Peterson said standard regulations covering EVs and plug-in hybrids between the two markets would benefit the automaker.
Peterson said the “number one” concern is standardized charging mechanisms. All electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles use the industry standard SAE J1772 charger.

Does this mean that J1772 will be adopted as a European standard?

EU Working With U.S. on Electric-Car Rules, De Gucht Says - Bloomberg

Does this mean that J1772 will be adopted as a European standard?

Maybe. Having a U.S. and E.U. standard would definitely create less headache for vehicle manufactures and help knock down another barrier to worldwide EV adoption (which sounds like the goal of this standardization).

As for Europe adopting J1772, does it support 3-phase? I believe 3-phase is very common in Europe and if J1772 doesn't support 3-phase I could see a J1772 revision being released that supports 3-phase unless they decide to adopt an entirely new plug. I just hope the standard is chosen within the next year or so before too many EVs come to market with many different connections.

Reactions: kayak1
Maybe. Having a U.S. and E.U. standard would definitely create less headache for vehicle manufactures and help knock down another barrier to worldwide EV adoption (which sounds like the goal of this standardization).

As for Europe adopting J1772, does it support 3-phase? I believe 3-phase is very common in Europe and if J1772 doesn't support 3-phase I could see a J1772 revision being released that supports 3-phase unless they decide to adopt an entirely new plug. I just hope the standard is chosen within the next year or so before too many EVs come to market with many different connections.
Europe is 3-phase, you won't be able to charge with more then 32A on a single phase here. I don't see J1772 becoming the standard here.

Imho, the IEC62192-2-2 (Type 2) connector is much more robust and does everything J1772 does. I handles up to 70A (16.8kW) single phase and supports up to 63A three-phase (44kW!).

Compare the J1772 (Type 1) and the Type 2 connectors, they are almost the same (the pilot signal is), but Type 2 supports 3-phase.

I think it doesn't matter if a car supports J1772 in the US and IEC62192-2 in the EU, in are both compatible connectors which you can replace easily.

I am still 100% suspicious of everything GM does in the EV arena.
I know they took a half step to redemption with the Volt, but I haven't forgiven them yet.
I believe they still have significant motivation to undermine public charging, because pure EVs ( Leaf ) need it far more than the Volt does.
The other players who don't have any kind of an EV are even more suspect, but GM has the dubious history of overcomplicating the NEC and other dirty tricks from the EV1 days.

Whenever I hear anyone discuss the need for standards, I am immediately suspicious that their prime motivation is to confuse the market and delay adoption.

Imho, the IEC62192-2-2 (Type 2) connector is much more robust and does everything J1772 does. I handles up to 70A (16.8kW) single phase and supports up to 63A three-phase (44kW!).

.. and can (theoretically) handle DC fast charge up to 75,6KW 600V@126A
( Plus on Pin L1+L2 , Minus on Pin L3+N )

you won't be able to charge with more then 32A on a single phase here
That sounds like a stupid requirement. I have a 70 amp J-1772 in my front yard for my 14 year old Roadster (or all our other EVs, they just can't pul 70 amps).
I don't use 70 amps very often but it is certainly quite viable and hasn't brought down the grid yet.

I swear the thread showed up in the new threads list for me. Sorry about that.
I figured it was something like that. :) I think an interesting thing about this, in the decade (!) since this thread started s that these discussions kind of did produce the CCS1/CCS2 common communications protocols and DC charging standards, even if the AC side is still different. Kind of a "best of both worlds" situation: legacy AC compatibility, but allowing manufacturers to standardize their DC hookups for models made for the EU and US.

Reactions: Rocky_H