Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. Model 3 to get CHAdeMO adapter soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Saw this article just now from 5/28 in CleanTechnica that I didn't see posted on here yet. Not something I need for our travels but I know this would be a big help to others where non-Tesla DC fast charging stations are. Of course wonder what "soon" means.

Tesla Will Offer CHAdeMO Adapter For US Model 3 Owners "Soon" | CleanTechnica

I'm not sure it's a matter of Tesla trying to block it's Model 3 users from using other DC fast chargers, but maybe more like they haven't wanted to put the research time into the adapter yet. IMO Media typically likes to cast a negative spin on Tesla's efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller
Is there any good data on how common different connectors are in different regions? Any aggregate figures on Plugshare, maybe?

I've heard CCS is the up-and-coming standard while CHAdeMO is on the decline, but I don't have any data to show how many are where, and what the trend is...

Is there any good data on how common different connectors are in different regions? Any aggregate figures on Plugshare, maybe?

I've heard CCS is the up-and-coming standard while CHAdeMO is on the decline, but I don't have any data to show how many are where, and what the trend is...
The closest you can get is probably the data from the Department of Energy:

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

Currently it shows for the US:

Chademo: 2020 stations, 2853 outlets
CCS: 1674 stations, 3012 outlets

And for Canada:

Chademo: 431 stations, 558 outlets
CCS: 521 stations, 647 outlets

I suspect that Tesla slow-rolling support for CHAdeMO for the Model 3 has hastened its decline. By making the most popular EV on the market unable to use CHAdeMO stations, it provides very little incentive for folks to install those stations.

I will be curious to see if existing CHAdeMO stations get retrofitted to also support CCS (or switch to it completely?).

I really wish Tesla would support both though... There are people for whom it is critical! The Supercharger network just is not wide enough yet for all use cases...

I will be curious to see if existing CHAdeMO stations get retrofitted to also support CCS (or switch to it completely?).
I've never heard of any being "retrofitted" in the US. If it's a single standard and adds CCS support, usually the DC FC is replaced by a dual standard one or less likely, a CCS one is added alongside.

Although there are some CCS only sites, I've not heard of any that went completely from one to the other in the US.

I've never heard of any being "retrofitted" in the US. If it's a single standard and adds CCS support, usually the DC FC is replaced by a dual standard one or less likely, a CCS one is added alongside.

Although there are some CCS only sites, I've not heard of any that went completely from one to the other in the US.

I was just thinking that with the dual standard stations becoming popular, I could see existing stations being upgraded to dual standard or replaced in place with dual standard units.

I suspect the vast majority of the cost of a DCFC station is in all the infrastructure work to put it there and permitting and such... Swapping out the charging hardware is actually relatively a minor job compared to getting the large electrical service feeds, etc...

I am guessing the manufacturers have come up with rectifier circuitry that can be used with either CHAdeMO or CCS, so the delta cost to enable a dual standard station may be relatively low (though may require more high voltage contactors, etc...)

Saw this article just now from 5/28 in CleanTechnica that I didn't see posted on here yet. Not something I need for our travels but I know this would be a big help to others where non-Tesla DC fast charging stations are. Of course wonder what "soon" means.

Tesla has been telling anyone who asks that the Model 3 CHAdeMO adapter is coming "soon" since 2017.

I suspect that Tesla slow-rolling support for CHAdeMO for the Model 3 has hastened its decline. By making the most popular EV on the market unable to use CHAdeMO stations, it provides very little incentive for folks to install those stations.

I really wish Tesla would support both though... There are people for whom it is critical! The Supercharger network just is not wide enough yet for all use cases...

I agree, and would buy either adapter as soon as it's available. Here in Canada most DCFC are still being installed with plugs for both (off a single connection), but I notice Electrify America, and the similar rollout in Canada, will often have a single Chademo, and multiple CCS plugs.

Well, as has been mentioned many times, Tesla will need a CHAdeMO capability for Japan. And now that RHD cars are orderable, that can't be too far away. What remains to be seen is if they will use a separate adapter, such as the existing adapter for Model S and X, or perhaps build the CHAdeMO port into the side of the car - like they do for GB/T in China. If they decide to use a separate adapter, it would likely be usable with North American cars as well.

Reactions: eprosenx
Fantastic.
The Superchargers are badly overburdened around here, and I'd love to be able to go the many ChadeMo places near me if necessary.

Are there a lot of CHAdeMO ports relative to Tesla SC ports in your area?

Around here there are many more CHAdeMO/CCS sites, but usually only one car at a time use while the SC sites have 12-24 spots so there are actually more SC ports.

If I had to guess I’d say there are maybe roughly equal number of ports within an hour driving distance, but 4 SC sites vs 40 separate individual CHAdeMO/CCS sites. Okay, let’s count ... 54 SC ports at 4 sites, 38 built (and coming soon) CHAdeMO and/or CCS single port sites (9 at car dealers which may not really be ‘public’?). According to PlugShare all are combos except one is CHAdeMO-only, and all the car dealer ones are CCS-only.

I like the idea of having a CCS adapter available for more charging options on trips, but I’m kinda sceptical on how convenient they will be, especially since around here they are all currently only 50kW single car locations (usually filled with slow Leafs waiting for 100.0% :)), meanwhile the SCs are 72kW urban or 150kW and your car pre-conditions on route.

I guess if the adapter costs $500 then not many will get it so you won’t have a rush of Teslas going to all the other locations. If the CCS adapter is cheap, that might happen though :) ... I can see all the non-Tesla EVs getting mad at Teslas blocking them out :D

The description on Tesla’s site for the CHAdeMO adapter now says it works for the 3.

CHAdeMO Adapter

This adapter is specifically for the North American version Model S, Model X, and Model 3.​

Nice find! I may have to swing by a station and try my adapter to see if it works now. Last time I plugged it in the car told me it wasn't supported yet.

• Love
Reactions: eprosenx

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.02.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.02.41 PM.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:
And/or do we need to have the adapter updated. Wasn’t there an adapter software update also at one point? The Service Center does it?

I guess I could just take the car to Reston (chademo station) like I did the X and see if it just works, lol.

You would think if it were part of 16.x.x it would say so, so, probably adapter. Still don’t get why an update is needed.

Reactions: jsmay311