TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

U.S. Patent Office Rules In Favor Of Nikola In Lawsuit Against Tesla Semi

Discussion in 'Semi' started by TMC Staff, Apr 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TMC Staff

The $2 billion lawsuit due to patent infringement will continue. On May 4, 2018, we told you Nikola Motor Company had decided to sue Tesla. It alleged that Tesla violated six patents with the design of the Semi, which cover the windscreen, door, and bodywork design of the Nikola One. The Phoenix-based manufacturer claims the...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. Brando

Brando Active Member

reminds me of SCO Group, Inc. and Linux (IBM & Novel)

When Business Owners, Lawyers, Judges all see each other at church - don't expect fairness, in my opinion.
    yes I'm very bias, I grew up in Utah.

$2 billion for the design of how a truck looks. Reminds me of Apple vs Samsung on rounded corners on cell phones. Just makes me want to hug and love every lawyer I meet. Too bad all the really good ones went into politics.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  3. flar

flar Member

• Informative x 3
  4. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

Have any trucks been delivered yet? Not to my knowledge, which begs the question, what is the $2 billion for? I could see a cease and desist order, but so far there have been no damages. If anything, Nikola has benefited from this whole thing as nobody would have even heard of them without the lawsuit.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

It does! same MO, same initial court success because the patent office frankly stinks at everything, and probably the same bankruptcy in their future if patent trolling is all they have going for them. Suing for billions when no deliveries even exist just means they're so desperate for cash they are suing over imaginary losses. Not a single vehicle sold has ever infringed any of their claimed patents. Have any of their own been sold using them?

6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

• Informative x 7
  7. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

IANAL, nor am I a patent lawyer, but I do work with patent documents (understanding technology trends), so I've learned a little bit from the neighborhood.

This stuff is extremely specific and detailed. My own conclusion is that absent a patent lawyer education and degree / license to practice the patent bar, then opinions on this (just like my own opinion) are worthless. At least insofar as those opinions are drawing conclusions about how meaningful any particular finding is.

Anybody here a patent lawyer that can tell us more about this, and what this might mean?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

I hope Nikola drops their lawsuit. They use flawed hydrogen technology as the basis. Hydrogen burns invisibly in case of an accident, and is colorless and odorless. It is also more energy intensive. If you power a hydrogen generator from solar / wind, you already have efficiency losses there versus supplying solar / wind power directly to the Tesla Semi 100% electric battery.

Other than some exterior elements, I don't really see similarities. If really needed, Tesla can do some minor updates to the exterior design.

Tesla Semi Interior:
    Ecosia - the search engine that plants trees

Nikola One Interior:
    Ecosia - the search engine that plants trees

• Like x 1
  9. Brando

Brando Active Member

Per my limited -experience- reading and hearing stories of ~ 70 years my suspicions are: (oh yeah, we are talking over the top bias)

Judges can be bought - and of course lawyers are bought.
    (sometime Judges & both opposing Lawyers get together to maximize profits and even save trial time)

[Does this make the SEC $30 million fine make more cents?]
    [more complex example: Scruggs Pleads Guilty; Plus a Profile of the 'King of Torts'
    $42 million every 12 months for 23 years - you'll be surprised - worth a read IMHO.]

10. Brando

Brando Active Member

• Love x 1
  11. TechOps

TechOps Member

Oh, we didn't want to sue you for $2 Billion in damages for a vehicle you haven't produced...but you made us!! :rolleyes:

• Love x 1
  12. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Amazing no one has address the impact on fall deliveries. E.g. will redesign stop production. etc.

13. voyager

voyager Member

Saw this interesting depiction (see below)...
    Which brings up the question: how much is a 2 mWh battery supposed to weigh?
    And are there any fixed figures in general about Tesla's battery weight : kWh ratio?

[​IMG]

14. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

I think most current Tesla packs work out to about 6 kg per kW. So a 2 MW battery would weigh 12 metric tons.

• Informative x 1
  15. Antonus

Antonus Member

I can't wait to see the actual shootout that happens between Tesla's semis and Nikola's once they are both finally pumping out trucks.

16. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

There’s a good chance that will never happen

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. qingshan

qingshan 18 lr rwd fsd

Correct me if wrong please but in aerodynamics form to a great extent is dictated by function.

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I don’t think Nikola will get too many sales

Setting up a charging network for the Tesla semis will be expensive, setting up hydrogen refueling stations will be a nonstarter.

19. the dude

the dude Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

Reads almost like a satire. Crazy stuff. My favorite part, about his brother:

One source we spoke with, who previously worked with Travis, described him as not having a formal role and as someone Trevor “kept around” if they “needed someone to hold a rope, or something like that” while they were working on vehicles.