Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. Patent Office Rules In Favor Of Nikola In Lawsuit Against Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The $2 billion lawsuit due to patent infringement will continue. On May 4, 2018, we told you Nikola Motor Company had decided to sue Tesla. It alleged that Tesla violated six patents with the design of the Semi, which cover the windscreen, door, and bodywork design of the Nikola One. The Phoenix-based manufacturer claims the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/04/22/uspto-backed-nikola-against-tesla/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

reminds me of SCO Group, Inc. and Linux (IBM & Novel)

When Business Owners, Lawyers, Judges all see each other at church - don't expect fairness, in my opinion.
yes I'm very bias, I grew up in Utah.

$2 billion for the design of how a truck looks. Reminds me of Apple vs Samsung on rounded corners on cell phones. Just makes me want to hug and love every lawyer I meet. Too bad all the really good ones went into politics.

reminds me of SCO Group,
It does! same MO, same initial court success because the patent office frankly stinks at everything, and probably the same bankruptcy in their future if patent trolling is all they have going for them. Suing for billions when no deliveries even exist just means they're so desperate for cash they are suing over imaginary losses. Not a single vehicle sold has ever infringed any of their claimed patents. Have any of their own been sold using them?

50 years ago, there was Ford's Big Red
Turbo titan III
big-red5.jpeg

IANAL, nor am I a patent lawyer, but I do work with patent documents (understanding technology trends), so I've learned a little bit from the neighborhood.

This stuff is extremely specific and detailed. My own conclusion is that absent a patent lawyer education and degree / license to practice the patent bar, then opinions on this (just like my own opinion) are worthless. At least insofar as those opinions are drawing conclusions about how meaningful any particular finding is.

Anybody here a patent lawyer that can tell us more about this, and what this might mean?

I hope Nikola drops their lawsuit. They use flawed hydrogen technology as the basis. Hydrogen burns invisibly in case of an accident, and is colorless and odorless. It is also more energy intensive. If you power a hydrogen generator from solar / wind, you already have efficiency losses there versus supplying solar / wind power directly to the Tesla Semi 100% electric battery.

Other than some exterior elements, I don't really see similarities. If really needed, Tesla can do some minor updates to the exterior design.

Tesla Semi Interior:
Ecosia - the search engine that plants trees

Nikola One Interior:
Ecosia - the search engine that plants trees

Reactions: kayak1
Per my limited -experience- reading and hearing stories of ~ 70 years my suspicions are: (oh yeah, we are talking over the top bias)

Judges can be bought - and of course lawyers are bought.
(sometime Judges & both opposing Lawyers get together to maximize profits and even save trial time)

[Does this make the SEC $30 million fine make more cents?]
[more complex example: Scruggs Pleads Guilty; Plus a Profile of the 'King of Torts'
$42 million every 12 months for 23 years - you'll be surprised - worth a read IMHO.]

Reads almost like a satire. Crazy stuff. My favorite part, about his brother:

One source we spoke with, who previously worked with Travis, described him as not having a formal role and as someone Trevor “kept around” if they “needed someone to hold a rope, or something like that” while they were working on vehicles.