Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber driving my P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually a corporate lease with robust commercial insurance, which covers allllllll sorts of fun. Uber then provides additional significant liability insurance (up to $1M, though secondary to a commercial insurance policy) and comprehensive and collision overage as well.

I just signed up as well to take people for a spin in my free time.

The insurance situation is bit interesting. When you have the Uber app running and have not picked up a rider, Uber does not provide collision and comprehensive and your personal insurance likely will not either. Once you have a passenger, Uber covers collision and comprehensive.

Why not? how they will know you were driving around for uber?
I can understand if you have paid customer on your car.. but by definition it's not the case, so what's the problem?

It's the grey area of when you have the app running and before you have a passenger. Your insurance likely will not know you were running the app, but depending on how large/serious the claim is they could do some digging...

https://2q72xc49mze8bkcog2f01nlh-wp...ics_700x560_r10_General-Insurance-Graphic.jpg

You can, but it will prompt you every few minutes to go offline if you aren't moving around.

That kinda sucks, because that would be my use case 99% of the time. Maybe I won't do it then.

For instance, I read to be eligible for UberLux, you need to do at least 10 UberX drives first. Once I do that, I'd want to only respond to UberLux calls if/when the come in.

this is so dumb. u own a P90D I'd hope you have an avenue to generate more income/better spend your time...
I say....if it makes him happy. Have at it. If I did everything that people though I should....I wouldn't be able to afford a Tesla in the first place.

There is room enough in the world for everyone's opinion, however I only have room enough to listen to my own. Garlan Garner.

Do your thing @disillusioned. Have fun.

So I've been a bit bored on weekends when the wife is at work and rather than sitting around, I thought it'd be fun/funny to start driving for Uber for a few hours at a time. I put in about 6 hours this weekend.

Top questions so far:
  1. "Wait, this is an UberX?" (I'm eligible for Uber Select, but it turns out, not too many opt in to paying double.)
  2. "How much was this car?"
  3. "Do you make enough driving Uber for this car?"
  4. "Is this like, a promotion or contest or something?"
Made about $100, so, chiseling away at my monthly payment bit by bit!

Thinking about setting up a GoPro and then recording people's launch reactions and posting them to YouTube (with rider's signed release/permission, of course.)

Anybody else an eccentric crazy person?

I also considered doing this just for fun and to help raise awareness about Tesla/EVs. I think I'd technically qualify for UberBlack? The car is so darn fun to drive that I am finding any reason to drive, why not get paid for it? The looks on people's faces alone would be worth it. I bet you get 5 stars from everyone!

More power to you, keep us posted!

Reactions: cmc5dc
So I've been a bit bored on weekends when the wife is at work and rather than sitting around, I thought it'd be fun/funny to start driving for Uber for a few hours at a time. I put in about 6 hours this weekend.

Top questions so far:
  1. "Wait, this is an UberX?" (I'm eligible for Uber Select, but it turns out, not too many opt in to paying double.)
  2. "How much was this car?"
  3. "Do you make enough driving Uber for this car?"
  4. "Is this like, a promotion or contest or something?"
Made about $100, so, chiseling away at my monthly payment bit by bit!

Thinking about setting up a GoPro and then recording people's launch reactions and posting them to YouTube (with rider's signed release/permission, of course.)

Anybody else an eccentric crazy person?
Renting the car out may be a better option financially.. I saw them go for $200 a day wirh only 100 miles. Of course after fees and taxes it's not worth it..

Question: If you're an Uber or Lyft driver with the app "on", do you have to be actively driving around, or can I sit in my living room and just pick and choose any fares that popup?
Part of the attraction of Uber is the response time to a call. Even if you can be out on the road in 90 seconds, that makes a 5 minute response time 6-1/2 minutes. I'm not sure how this works into the overall Uber-scape, but I'm sure they want to encourage fast availability.

I have a similar opinion regarding the insurance discussion. They have to make it work for everyone or else their business is going to suffer.

So u spend 8 hours a day working non stop. You load your cars with miles which count against warranty. There's also all sort of questions with insurance. Then what's the pay off?

Why not just use turo and rent the car out and making money while drinking margaritas? I'd rather have a turo user add a 100 miles in my car than putting 100s of miles driving people around myself. Of course I'd rather keep the car for myself to begin with.

But unless uber present an option to the end user to ride in a model s (which they don't) I think it's a big waste of money to use the car that way.

So u spend 8 hours a day working non stop. You load your cars with miles which count against warranty. There's also all sort of questions with insurance. Then what's the pay off?

Why not just use turo and rent the car out and making money while drinking margaritas? I'd rather have a turo user add a 100 miles in my car than putting 100s of miles driving people around myself. Of course I'd rather keep the car for myself to begin with.

But unless uber present an option to the end user to ride in a model s (which they don't) I think it's a big waste of money to use the car that way.
Why does everything have to be profitable?

What is the price of a smile on a persons face. This world is going to pot because everyone wants to get over. Everyone wants to make a buck. Everyone wants to be the best and be the first. So what.
If ubering puts a smile on you face and joy in your heart.....go for it. Its not illegal nor immoral. Uber away.

If you own a MX, then I would assume you aren't scrounging for dollars somewhere in the gutter. And if you are fortunate enough to have excess time to accompany your TESLAS. I'm happy for you. Go for it!!!!

Why does everything have to be profitable?

What is the price of a smile on a persons face. This world is going to pot because everyone wants to get over. Everyone wants to make a buck. Everyone wants to be the best and be the first. So what.
If ubering puts a smile on you face and joy in your heart.....go for it. Its not illegal nor immoral. Uber away.

If you own a MX, then I would assume you aren't scrounging for dollars somewhere in the gutter. And if you are fortunate enough to have excess time to accompany your TESLAS. I'm happy for you. Go for it!!!!

Yeah, exactly. I don't think the prior poster understands that doing this isn't for the money, it's just for fun. In fact, it's probably get old after a few days.