Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber driving my P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time i buy a new car i seek every possible excuse to go out an drive it, uber seems a pretty good excuse, and you can do it when and how you want.
If you are tired, you don't do it, if you want to have your fun, then you do it.

I would say it's perfect :D

Ha, that sums it up perfectly. My reference to chipping away at my monthly payment was tongue-in-cheek. Of course I'm not doing this for the money. It nets out to roughly $15-$20/hr for UberX. But I'm a social guy and when my wife is working a weekend day and I'm home just watching TV, I figured it might be really fun to show people the Tesla, drive around a bit, and get paid a bit of funny money as well. I've also had the idea of using it for networking, especially for airport pickups, but the airport queuing system is rough. (Lonnnng waits at times.)

It's a lease. It's well insured. I could be doing something else with my time, but that's also true when I play a video game or watch Netflix, and honestly, if I grow tired of it, which I'm expecting, I can never do it again, or only do it once a month, or whatever. It's kind of fun how flexible it is.

Question: If you're an Uber or Lyft driver with the app "on", do you have to be actively driving around, or can I sit in my living room and just pick and choose any fares that popup?

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Uber matches the literal closest match. If your home is in a neighborhood (vs. a city center with high density) you won't get any pings. I drive the mile down into downtown Phoenix and start lighting up, but at home, it's unlikely.

I also considered doing this just for fun and to help raise awareness about Tesla/EVs. I think I'd technically qualify for UberBlack? The car is so darn fun to drive that I am finding any reason to drive, why not get paid for it? The looks on people's faces alone would be worth it. I bet you get 5 stars from everyone!

More power to you, keep us posted!

Your car has to be actually black int/ext for UberBlack, and there's some livery stuff that goes with it, so you're more likely to qualify for UberSelect or UberLux if your metro area has those. I haven't gotten any Select fares though (they're twice as much as X) and you can't choose to only get pings for Select, or rather, you can't right now.

So far, so good on the ratings!

JoT54tx.png

Hey @disillusioned you ever have people tip you cash for the launches? I'm highly considering ubering a few times when I get my Model S. Not for the money (I could make more doing most anything), but for the fun, and the chance to get someone else hooked on an EV.

Plus there's a lot of college hotties around here (the wife won't mind, I'm sure!).

Your car has to be actually black int/ext for UberBlack, and there's some livery stuff that goes with it, so you're more likely to qualify for UberSelect or UberLux if your metro area has those. I haven't gotten any Select fares though (they're twice as much as X) and you can't choose to only get pings for Select, or rather, you can't right now.

JoT54tx.png

I've got a Black/Black/Black/Black Tesla (Ext/Leather/Headliner/Tint). UberBlack basically requires you to qualify as a limo driver, correct? Sounds too complicated for me if I just wanted to drive for fun--UberSelect would probably be it.

Awesome rating! That "You the man" comment basically makes it all worth it. Keep us posted on your experiences and comments!

There's a P85 owner in Austin who also drivers for Uber. His thread is a good read: Driving the Model S for Uber + Lyft

I drive for Uber maybe once a month or every six weeks. It can be a really fun job but everyone is correct that a Tesla is a terrible choice if you are looking to make money. In Nebraska an Uber driver is covered from the time they turn on the app until it is turned off.

I It can be a really fun job but everyone is correct that a Tesla is a terrible choice if you are looking to make money.

Why would Tesla be a bad choice. Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about driving Uber. I'm just wondering why one car would be an advantage over another car. Do Uber riders get to select the car that they ride in? Is tesla a bad car because its electric and has to charge? Is it because Teslas are so expensive and it would be difficult to recoup your money from? Why is Tesla a bad choice for Uber to make money with?

Why would Tesla be a bad choice. Keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about driving Uber. I'm just wondering why one car would be an advantage over another car. Do Uber riders get to select the car that they ride in? Is tesla a bad car because its electric and has to charge? Is it because Teslas are so expensive and it would be difficult to recoup your money from? Why is Tesla a bad choice for Uber to make money with?

I'm pretty sure @Trips meant it'd be dumb to buy a Tesla for the purpose of driving for Uber. It'd be better to buy an econobox if you were going to drive for Uber as your sole/main source of income.

That said, doing it for fun like OP does is a great idea.

Reactions: Sasmania
I'm pretty sure @Trips meant it'd be dumb to buy a Tesla for the purpose of driving for Uber. It'd be better to buy an econobox if you were going to drive for Uber as your sole/main source of income.

That said, doing it for fun like OP does is a great idea.
Ahh. That makes sense. Yeah, I will be ubering for fun once I receive my M3. Its going to be a hobby thing - not to make money.

Ha, that sums it up perfectly. My reference to chipping away at my monthly payment was tongue-in-cheek. Of course I'm not doing this for the money. It nets out to roughly $15-$20/hr for UberX. But I'm a social guy and when my wife is working a weekend day and I'm home just watching TV, I figured it might be really fun to show people the Tesla, drive around a bit, and get paid a bit of funny money as well. I've also had the idea of using it for networking, especially for airport pickups, but the airport queuing system is rough. (Lonnnng waits at times.)

It's a lease. It's well insured. I could be doing something else with my time, but that's also true when I play a video game or watch Netflix, and honestly, if I grow tired of it, which I'm expecting, I can never do it again, or only do it once a month, or whatever. It's kind of fun how flexible it is.

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Uber matches the literal closest match. If your home is in a neighborhood (vs. a city center with high density) you won't get any pings. I drive the mile down into downtown Phoenix and start lighting up, but at home, it's unlikely.

JoT54tx.png

Love what you are doing! I just re-activated my Uber driving account in Phoenix a few weeks ago as well! We might have to meet up at some point :)

I agree on many points - 1) This is NOT for the $, but it is a fun excuse to drive more and I guarantee IT SELLS TESLAS. I took a great couple on a Select ride who I asked "What was your initial impression of Tesla before getting in?" His reply? "I didn't know if we would make it all the way to the airport... I thought they were expensive toys. I'm VERY impressed...."

If you are truly interested in helping Elon "accelerate the transition to sustainable transport", driving for Uber is the best thing you can do! Not only are you taking the place of an ICE driven Uber each time you pick up someone, but you have the ability to educate and inform. Just yesterday I was able to set a passenger straight on the AutoPilot mis-information going around...

One thing though, you CAN drive UberBlack with any colored Tesla (the only one they make exceptions for) Mine is Blue/Tan.

One thing though, you CAN drive UberBlack with any colored Tesla (the only one they make exceptions for) Mine is Blue/Tan.

Wait, what? Really? Uber states they're not taking new Black "partners" right now for PHX, so it might be moot, but I'll check with customer service. I've noticed basically 1:1 overlap between Black & Select in the pax app, which means Black drivers are just willing (or forced) to accept Select reqs as well.

I'll definitely check with them. In the mean time, I PMed you about meeting!

As an insurance agent, I implore anyone thinking about this to call their insurance company first. Do not strictly rely on Ubers insurance, especially with a Tesla. More and more companies are writing strict exclusions for all public livery uses.

OP, you may well be covered, but I would double check and prefer to have it in writing. Just because it's a commercial policy does not mean you are covered. Your policy was written with a specific usage in mind for rating purposes. A commercial auto policy for a consultant, realtor, manufacturer, etc is a whole different ballgame than hauling people. The liability is enormous.

And if anyone else has a personal auto policy with no special endorsement, there's a 95% chance you are not covered. There are insurance companies who have developed special policies and/or endorsement that will give you coverage, but you have to ask for it.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Agree with JMG. Certain insurance companies have what are called "Hybrid" insurance. It will cover you personally and any ridesharing driving you might do for Uber or Lyft. Don't need separate commercial insurance if you have this.

Reactions: JMG
If you are covered by Uber...why would you care about using your insurance while ubering?

There's a definite coverage gap: Uber's comprehensive/collision maxes out at $50k I believe, though their liability limits are up to $1M, and $1M uninsured/underinsured, so that part's good. But on the vehicle itself, you definitely need to have other insurance covering you.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I've been driving Uber passengers around Boston for a month in my Model X. It's not a way to make money -- but it's a great way to meet interesting people, and have great conversations. Boston Uber riders -- especially in the suburbs -- are very often members of the technology or professional community, and the conversations about electric vehicles, autopilot issues, etc. are almost uniformly interesting and valuable. I feel it is a really good way for me to do my part as an EV/Tesla enthusiast/evangelist!

One unique aspect of doing this in a Model X -- the look on the faces of Uber riders when you pull up and open the Falcon Wing Doors is absolutely priceless!

And the fans love it...
Screenshot 2016-07-15 10.26.44.png

If you are covered by Uber...why would you care about using your insurance while ubering?
Uber will cover you when you are working. More coverage if you have a passenger. Less coverage with no passenger. But also I've heard that Uber will request you go through your insurance first.
Things may be changing and evolving with the insurance companies but not too far in the recent past if the insurance company found out about your ridesharing they would drop you immediately.

I could care less what you do with your car. But when I can't get into a supercharger while on a cross country because a bunch of local uber teslas are staging there, I'm going to be miffed. There was a thread earlier about this being an issue in Europe.