Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber driving my P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been a bit bored on weekends when the wife is at work and rather than sitting around, I thought it'd be fun/funny to start driving for Uber for a few hours at a time. I put in about 6 hours this weekend.

Top questions so far:
  1. "Wait, this is an UberX?" (I'm eligible for Uber Select, but it turns out, not too many opt in to paying double.)
  2. "How much was this car?"
  3. "Do you make enough driving Uber for this car?"
  4. "Is this like, a promotion or contest or something?"
Made about $100, so, chiseling away at my monthly payment bit by bit!

Thinking about setting up a GoPro and then recording people's launch reactions and posting them to YouTube (with rider's signed release/permission, of course.)

Anybody else an eccentric crazy person?

So I've been a bit bored on weekends when the wife is at work and rather than sitting around, I thought it'd be fun/funny to start driving for Uber for a few hours at a time. I put in about 6 hours this weekend.

Top questions so far:
  1. "Wait, this is an UberX?" (I'm eligible for Uber Select, but it turns out, not too many opt in to paying double.)
  2. "How much was this car?"
  3. "Do you make enough driving Uber for this car?"
  4. "Is this like, a promotion or contest or something?"
Made about $100, so, chiseling away at my monthly payment bit by bit!

Thinking about setting up a GoPro and then recording people's launch reactions and posting them to YouTube (with rider's signed release/permission, of course.)

Anybody else an eccentric crazy person?
Last week I went to Scottsdale and experienced the Ludicrous launch. Four adults in the car and it was umphhh. It actually hurt. I wanted to have my flight g-suit on, as I could feel the blood draining away from my brain. If I was driving, I could not control the car safely for those few launch seconds. My buddy in the back seat quietly complained of hurting during launch. We all agreed it was not so much fun.
Would I like to have my cabby hurt me? ahh - it was an interesting experience I was prepared for, but I would not want my ride home from an overseas trip to inflict this launch on me. Your tip may go up if your passengers love the launch - but may not if I was your fare.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Would I like to have my cabby hurt me? ahh - it was an interesting experience I was prepared for, but I would not want my ride home from an overseas trip to inflict this launch on me. Your tip may go up if your passengers love the launch - but may not if I was your fare.

It's kind of all about reading the room, right? I'd only launch anyone explicitly excited at the prospect. Pulling 1.1g can definitely feel unpleasant, and I always tell friends to put their heads back against the headrest when I launch them, which helps.

It's kind of all about reading the room, right? I'd only launch anyone explicitly excited at the prospect. Pulling 1.1g can definitely feel unpleasant, and I always tell friends to put their heads back against the headrest when I launch them, which helps.
True that. I asked for it, got it, was alerted to put heads back and seat belts adjusted, and BAMM. thats reading the room. But after two launches, I wanted no more. He sold me into not buying Ludi.
BTW - I felt like the launch strained the car as much as it strained the passengers. Just a feeling. . Do you have any guess as to ..reduced tire life, higher maint on suspension, reduced motor/battery life..any thing that would be consumed quicker with launch vs egg-foot?

this is so dumb. u own a P90D I'd hope you have an avenue to generate more income/better spend your time...

What's it any of your business to judge/criticize what someone else decides to do with their time, money, or car?

If it makes him happy and relieves him of boredom, that's all that really matters.

I've considered many times to start driving for Uber or Lyft just for fun and a few bucks when I'm sitting idle waiting for other things. It's not "so dumb".

This sounds like a lot of fun for you and the lucky passengers.

I saw someone driving a new white P85 (still had the "Zero Emissions" plate) with a Lyft sticker on my way to work in San Francisco Monday -- put a smile on my face thinking of the kick the passengers were going to get when they got picked up.

Last week I went to Scottsdale and experienced the Ludicrous launch. Four adults in the car and it was umphhh. It actually hurt. I wanted to have my flight g-suit on, as I could feel the blood draining away from my brain. If I was driving, I could not control the car safely for those few launch seconds. My buddy in the back seat quietly complained of hurting during launch. We all agreed it was not so much fun.

Reading those type of messages makes me even more wanting a ride !!! Someday, someday !!!

I used Uber last week from CDG into Paris. I was picked up in a model S. The driver shares the car with one other person, and they take shifts. The car is basically moving or charging 24/7. It had 63km on it in 9 months.

If Uber's supplemental insurance will provide sufficient coverage for a fully loaded X, more power to you. I too have thought it might be fun from time to time, but the insurance issues combined with the security risk was too much for me.

Last edited:
BTW - I felt like the launch strained the car as much as it strained the passengers. Just a feeling. . Do you have any guess as to ..reduced tire life, higher maint on suspension, reduced motor/battery life..any thing that would be consumed quicker with launch vs egg-foot?

There's a YouTube channel called "Tesla Racing Channel". They have a ludicrous-upgraded P85D. Just from the videos, they have done many full launches. I would bet that the car has been launched several hundred times. They claim that the car is still consistent in it's acceleration times so no performance degradation or reliability issues. The car has over 50,000 miles on it.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
The driver shares the car with one other person, and they take shifts. The car is basically moving or charging 24/7. It had 63km on it in 9 months.

I did some sums, but they don't seem to stack up well, for me.

8 hours a day (one person's shift) continuously hired 100%-utilisation (clearly unachievable!) and able to sustain 30 MPH average, and 70c per mile (the profit I have read after charging [6c per mile] and Uber's cut) is US$ 168 per day.

63,000 miles, in 9 months, split over two shifts / drivers, is 116 miles per day. @ 70c per mile that is US$ 81 per day :( A driver-less, autonomous, vehicle making US$ 162 a day would get my attention though!

Doing it for fun is a different matter of course :)

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Every time i buy a new car i seek every possible excuse to go out an drive it, uber seems a pretty good excuse, and you can do it when and how you want.
If you are tired, you don't do it, if you want to have your fun, then you do it.

I would say it's perfect :D

Reactions: K Hall