Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gonna put a pre/post picture for the rimetrix orbitals vs china 18 turbines later.
i kinda actually prefer the look of the orbitals. its not so much they they look better, but they are slightly larger which gives the illusion of a 18.5" rim.
4419d07e-967b-4806-8e58-afe148daf345.jpg

Reactions: Maric
gonna put a pre/post picture for the rimetrix orbitals vs china 18 turbines later.
i kinda actually prefer the look of the orbitals. its not so much they they look better, but they are slightly larger which gives the illusion of a 18.5" rim.View attachment 837342
Do the china turbines protect the rim edge completely like the orbitals? It might be the angle or the reflections of the tire, but in your attached picture it does look like a bit of it is still exposed on the top.

Reactions: ss71
Do the china turbines protect the rim edge completely like the orbitals? It might be the angle or the reflections of the tire, but in your attached picture it does look like a bit of it is still exposed on the top.

they do! I do seem to remember Teslas OEM aeros have like a 0.3mm rim from the original aeros? so I guess the China covers are more like 18.1" or so...
The orbitals also mount fairly flush with the tire wheras the china rims stick kinda out by half a mm or so (same as teslas own aeros).

Pic comparing the orbitals to the china aeros. Havnt got the angle perfect.
1.jpeg

2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Maric and ss71
they do! I do seem to remember Teslas OEM aeros have like a 0.3mm rim from the original aeros?
The Tesla OEM aeros have the edges completely exposed (there is a complete ring exposed), which make them exposed to curbing.

You can see even in the wikipedia photo the rim edges are curbed (the refresh aero caps I have right now are the same in this regard):
Tesla_Model_3_aero_wheels.jpg

so I guess the China covers are more like 18.1" or so...
The orbitals also mount fairly flush with the tire wheras the china rims stick kinda out by half a mm or so (same as teslas own aeros).
Thanks for the comparo, personally I prefer the uberturbine look out of the two.

Reactions: enemji
The Tesla OEM aeros have the edges completely exposed (there is a complete ring exposed), which make them exposed to curbing.

You can see even in the wikipedia photo the rim edges are curbed (the refresh aero caps I have right now are the same in this regard):
Tesla_Model_3_aero_wheels.jpg

Thanks for the comparo, personally I prefer the uberturbine look out of the two.

urgh, i didnt remember it being THAT bad! The chinese aeros use the same rearend as the original aeros (i personally prefer rimetrix' design) but the DO cover the entire rim. Though the orbitals seem to just cover a tad more and overall look similar to a 19" rim when the tires are properly shined.

That said, when I put my Rimetrix on they didnt come with tape so my rims are scratched either way haha

I know it's more convenient to get it via Amazon and easier to return, but on Aliexpress, it's $190 shipped, and shipping took 14d from China to North America. So if you can wait 2 weeks, you can save $150, which I personally thought was worth it! And refunds on Aliexpress are very easy and fast.

Note for my case, I placed the tape at the outer edge of the aero hub since that's where the gap exists between the hub and the rim.

Wow re: efficiency! I ordered these a couple weeks ago and that was my only concern as they look amazing. Great to hear.
I did a quick 15mi trip on the freeway at 75mph in my car and the uberturbine replicas have similar efficiency to the OEM aero covers it seems. I was around 236wh/mi @ 75mph with them. Autopilot on, and A/C set at 72 with re-circulation vent closed.

Reactions: Maric
I did a quick 15mi trip on the freeway at 75mph in my car and the uberturbine replicas have similar efficiency to the OEM aero covers it seems. I was around 236wh/mi @ 75mph with them. Autopilot on, and A/C set at 72 with re-circulation vent closed.

theres a few youtube videos and apparently the chinese got superlucky and the 18" uberturbines are actually slightly more efficient than the OEMs.
I guess more testing will show.

Reactions: jrmt23 and enemji
Then what is the purpose of this chalk and foam tape exercise?

i think what feels tight may not be tight under load and many owners report scratches on their rims regardless.
I had my original aeros on for around a year before i replaced them with the rimetrix orbitals and i had some mild scuffs from them.
However, there were owners with perhaps slightly looser fitting aeros who had more problems.

The other issue is that a tire will spin around 1000x/min which will put significant load onto the aero cover. So even if it feel tight there will be significant jitter/movement which can scuff.

For example, The Orbitals feel REASONABLY tight but are only attached in the centre of the rim. So while they dont feel like they really have any movement you know that at 1000rpm they will jitter on the edges for sure - and thats enough to cause signficiant scratching after few thousand kms.
Even if its just a tiny bit of a force. After 1hour of driving they tiny bit of force will have been exerted 60000 times.

Reactions: enemji
i think what feels tight may not be tight under load and many owners report scratches on their rims regardless.
I had my original aeros on for around a year before i replaced them with the rimetrix orbitals and i had some mild scuffs from them.
However, there were owners with perhaps slightly looser fitting aeros who had more problems.

The other issue is that a tire will spin around 1000x/min which will put significant load onto the aero cover. So even if it feel tight there will be significant jitter/movement which can scuff.

For example, The Orbitals feel REASONABLY tight but are only attached in the centre of the rim. So while they dont feel like they really have any movement you know that at 1000rpm they will jitter on the edges for sure - and thats enough to cause signficiant scratching after few thousand kms.
Even if its just a tiny bit of a force. After 1hour of driving they tiny bit of force will have been exerted 60000 times.
I can see the orbitals causing scuff as they are attached only at the hub center. The aero are tight as they can be at the rim spokes when I had to bang them in.

theres a few youtube videos and apparently the chinese got superlucky and the 18" uberturbines are actually slightly more efficient than the OEMs.
I guess more testing will show.
EPA rates the LR Model 3 as 250wh/mi right? That would be insane if these covers help that much lol...but I also did switch out to stickier Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s about 7 or 8 months ago. I'm not sure I'd personally see that much improvement