Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine Touch Up Paint??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the two colors I used.

I used an airbrush and would mix about a teaspoon of the black metallic with a quick brush dip of the rubber color (very little) I noticed the uberturbines have just a slight warmth to the gray. the black metallic alone was really close, just a tiny bit too dark so the rubber was a good way to lighten and warm.

I used bondo to fill in the nicks. Then I sanded and wet sanded and then sprayed with automotive primer. The primer actually fills in some spots naturally. Wet sanded one more time before painting.

I curbed my rim pretty badly on a curve at the Starbucks drive thru and was so mad at myself!
Thanks Hashbrown; your repair is the best DIY repair I have seen so far.

Have you tried the gray metallic by itself? I picked up a can at Hobby Lobby today and it seems like it may be slightly lighter in color. BTW, the Testors colors are available in a small spray can. See Graphite Gray Metallic Testors Spray Enamel | Hobby Lobby | 891168

Last edited:
I have tried several paint including Zink touch up paint but couldn't find a great match until yesterday I stopped at Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint store (prob not the same residential SW paint store) . The guy said local Tesla body shop (Relentless Body Shop) has always buy paint from the store and he quickly mixed NEU106E paint based off ATX 3.5 paint line - it costs $23 for 8 oz. I applied the paint using airbrush purchased from Amazon, and the result blown me away - I asked my son to have a blind test, and he cannot tell where was the new paint.

9d538a56-fd18-495b-976d-fd98f9a69bfa-jpg.886170

BB3D261A-3348-4B7E-BC86-CF7AAFDA82E8.jpg

Attachments

• 9D538A56-FD18-495B-976D-FD98F9A69BFA.jpg
    9D538A56-FD18-495B-976D-FD98F9A69BFA.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 1,045
Any reason why you guys are not trying the mixes I see online, specific to the wheel? Is it because you get a bigger batch?
I first tried the Rustoleum Black Satin ($10), then Zink prefix ($30+shipping) and not really happy with its color match so I returned it (Zink staff was super friendly!) - the local store is fast (you can see the color at the store) so you know what you get and the staff is knowledgeable to share the tricks on how to get better result.

I guess the fact that the store has all the Tesla paint code already in the mix database, and Tesla body shop always purchased from this SW shop shows the quality of their paint must be satisfactory.

I first tried the Rustoleum Black Satin ($10), then Zink prefix ($30+shipping) and not really happy with its color match so I returned it (Zink staff was super friendly!) - the local store is fast (you can see the color at the store) so you know what you get and the staff is knowledgeable to share the tricks on how to get better result.

I guess the fact that the store has all the Tesla paint code already in the mix database, and Tesla body shop always purchased from this SW shop shows the quality of their paint must be satisfactory.
Ooo, if that's the case, lol. Didn't know that Tesla body shops purchase from this shop.