Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine vs Gemini with aero covers efficiency in medium speed commute.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just looking through some TeslaFi data and thought others may be interested. My daily commute is a hair over 26 miles each way, with a peak speed of 60 mph and average speed of 50 mph, so this is not a comparison of highway speed efficiency, it is significantly slower than highway speeds (at least on highways I drive). For 26.5 miles on the Uberturbine wheels I used 6.82 kWh of energy and averaged 258 wh/mile in clear weather with average temperature of 79.55F with cabin temp set to 70F in Auto. This was the average over 44 drives.

Doing the same commute at the same speeds on the Gemini wheels with the Aero covers, I used 6.27 kWh of energy and averaged 236 wh/mile in clear weather with average temperature of 75.31F with cabin temp set to 70F in Auto. This was also averaged over the first 44 drives I made commuting on the Gemini's.

So, at moderate speeds on my commute I am using 22 wh/mile less than I was on the Uberturbine wheels... the difference is significantly better at 80 mph... but I will have to wait for a road trip down to Florida and up the coast to North Carolina next summer on the Gemini's to have definitive data :)

Non-definitive data from my road trip: On this route (down to south Florida and up the coast to North Carolina) with the Uberturbine's I averaged 63 mph. This included local driving to tourist destinations, traffic jams, etc. Peak speed was 90 mph. Over 2000 miles of driving I averaged 300 wh/mile. In contrast, the last 1000 miles of the trip were on Gemini wheels with an average speed of 68 mph going from sea level up into the smoky mountains and then back down to 200 feet above sea level I averaged 269 wh/mile. On the Gemini's there was zero local driving, it was all high speed highway driving.

TL DR Gemini wheels with aero covers are noticeably more efficient even at moderate speeds and significantly more efficient at highway speeds... as if you didn't already know this :)

Keith

Your experience with the efficiency difference of the 19" Gemini Wheels versus the 21" Uberturbine wheels mirrors the data that Tesla submitted to the EPA for the Model Y with the 19", 20" and 21" wheel configurations.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Yup, like I said in my TL DR... we all already know this I was just interested in having real world data to back it up :)

Keith

So the wheels that weight ten pounds less are more efficient, makes sense. Imagine if they were ten pounds lighter than those.

The weight is one factor, the extra width on the rear wheels and tires of the Uberturbine's is also part of the cause. For high speed driving a light weight wide wheel is less efficient than a slightly heavier but narrower wheel... especially if the narrower wheel is more aerodynamic. For example, light weight Martian wheels are not more efficient in high speed driving than the stock heavy Gemini's with the aero caps.

Keith

Hey guys,

Just looking through some TeslaFi data and thought others may be interested. My daily commute is a hair over 26 miles each way, with a peak speed of 60 mph and average speed of 50 mph, so this is not a comparison of highway speed efficiency, it is significantly slower than highway speeds (at least on highways I drive). For 26.5 miles on the Uberturbine wheels I used 6.82 kWh of energy and averaged 258 wh/mile in clear weather with average temperature of 79.55F with cabin temp set to 70F in Auto. This was the average over 44 drives.

Doing the same commute at the same speeds on the Gemini wheels with the Aero covers, I used 6.27 kWh of energy and averaged 236 wh/mile in clear weather with average temperature of 75.31F with cabin temp set to 70F in Auto. This was also averaged over the first 44 drives I made commuting on the Gemini's.

So, at moderate speeds on my commute I am using 22 wh/mile less than I was on the Uberturbine wheels... the difference is significantly better at 80 mph... but I will have to wait for a road trip down to Florida and up the coast to North Carolina next summer on the Gemini's to have definitive data :)

Non-definitive data from my road trip: On this route (down to south Florida and up the coast to North Carolina) with the Uberturbine's I averaged 63 mph. This included local driving to tourist destinations, traffic jams, etc. Peak speed was 90 mph. Over 2000 miles of driving I averaged 300 wh/mile. In contrast, the last 1000 miles of the trip were on Gemini wheels with an average speed of 68 mph going from sea level up into the smoky mountains and then back down to 200 feet above sea level I averaged 269 wh/mile. On the Gemini's there was zero local driving, it was all high speed highway driving.

TL DR Gemini wheels with aero covers are noticeably more efficient even at moderate speeds and significantly more efficient at highway speeds... as if you didn't already know this :)

Keith
Are you on the stock tires for the Uberturbines (Pirelli PZero PZ4) and stock tires for the Gemini's (Continental ProContact RX)?