Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UC Berkeley has 6,000 parking spaces, but only 1 electric vehicle charger...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure many students, staffs, and faculties would be interested getting an EV (may be not a Tesla bt may be a used Leaf instead...)
just to commute to save both on gas cost and also to save the planet.

But who to blame for not taking the lead for promoting the use of EVs, in particular since the 2006 documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
in a so "eco-conscious city that it will soon ban everything from plastic forks at restaurants to natural gas in new homes":

You know, folks have things called homes and the vast majority of people charge their EV there.

I am happy when places I visit put in chargers and express my appreciation but I don't EXPECT them to do so.

Of more concern to me would be how Berkeley was at the forefront of free speech a few decades ago but today is quite the opposite.

I would like to see EV charging expand in a capitalist manner. Tell the local mall or grocery you would spend more time shopping there if your car were plugged in.

You know, folks have things called homes and the vast majority of people charge their EV there.
I am happy when places I visit put in chargers and express my appreciation but I don't EXPECT them to do so.
Of more concern to me would be how Berkeley was at the forefront of free speech a few decades ago but today is quite the opposite.
I would like to see EV charging expand in a capitalist manner. Tell the local mall or grocery you would spend more time shopping there if your car were plugged in.
When you say 'homes' you mean peoples who live a house with private garage or driveway.
However 'the vast majority of people' in younger age and at the beginning of their active live,
generally live in apartments and park in the streets.

Older garages don't have enough electrical capacity and upgrading requires making a tranche under the building for adding
a new power line, something which would be too costly for the landlord to handle when there is no incentives to do so.

You cannot limit the access to electric cars to only affluent people who live in houses, otherwise the production of EVs will plateau,
and no progress will be made to transition from the archaic and polluting fossil technology to cleaner EV transportation.

In many cities I noticed than the urban light poles have been converted to efficient LED lightning.
However the existing power lines used to provide electricity to the older urban light were supposed
then to be converted for charging cars parked near a light pole.
Even though this is something straightforward to do, I don't see this happening as expected and promised.

I recently visited some larger US cities, and Europeans cities, and I was surprised that there was very few or almost none EVs
parked in residentials areas. The streets were full of costly luxury SUVs, so it was not the cost of EVs
but the lack of charging infrastructure blocking the spread of clean electric cars.

While Electric cars are important for improving cities life by reducing pollution and noise, very small progress have been done to do so.
I can see the development of Superchargers arounds cities and Urban chargers into malls.
But honestly I don't have enough spare time to drive cross country or to visit malls since mail order save so much time,
and grocery shopping doesn't take that much time that charging there would really matter.

'The vast majority of people' drive their car to go to work and park in front of their office or campus
and then go back home and park in front of their home in the street.

In large cities, we really need to install low cost charging stations everywhere where 'the vast majority of people'
who have their car parked 80% of the day could have their car plugged without needed to move their car
while working or been at home taking care of their family life.

Last edited:
Boohoo where is my free charging.............
If your situation doesn't allow EV ownership don't buy one.
Far as street lights and EV charging, think you overestimate the supply, underestimate the cost to retrofit and are ignoring the vandlism and other hassles that would be introduced.
Do you think that having to build and maintain petrol pipelines, oil refineries, gas stations and trucks to refill them,.... cost nothing.
Compare to installing a plug to the base of an electric pole so we can get rid of gas stations?

In Europe, cars carry their own electric wire cables so they cannot be stolen or damage and cannot be detached when in use.
You could also install street wireless chargers which seems more and more efficients, and make everything simpler and cleaner.
Maintenance would be very low especially if your car or your phone can activate directly the charging.

It doesn't have to be free, but installation cost and maintenance of electricity delivery is certainly simple
than the cost of constantly digging trenches in cities to maintain and update water pipes, swage system, and natural gas.

I noticed big headlines of majors cities banning polluting cars in a near future, but I didn't see any real progress made
to stop the status quo of using petrol for our transportation.

Your reaction sadly reflect a too large majority of people who don't realise how much we are manipulated by big oil profit maker companies.
I would recommend watching the following video to illustrate this point:

Wow, there are a lot of bad assumptions here.
When you say 'homes' you mean peoples who live a house with private garage or driveway.
However 'the vast majority of people' in younger age and at the beginning of their active live,
generally live in apartments and park in the streets.
...and generally don't buy brand new $50,000+ cars! Jeez. Most of car sales in the U.S. every year are used cars. Guess what young people first starting out are going to be buying? Yeah--it's not a $50,000 car. It's more like a $5,000 car. So no, they probably won't be the people buying new electric cars and needing charging.

You cannot limit the access to electric cars to
Oh, really? "You" cannot? It's more like economic realities doing the limiting; not @SSedan . But anyway...

You cannot limit the access to electric cars to only affluent people who live in houses, otherwise the production of EVs will plateau,
and no progress will be made to transition from the archaic and polluting fossil technology to cleaner EV transportation.
It might plateau, huh? Did you know that over half of the residences in the United States are "single family detached dwellings"? In other words--regular houses--not condos or apartments. Gee...that would be awful if electric cars had to "plateau" at 55% of the households in the U.S. instead of the approximately 1% of the car market they are at now. What a shame we're capped there now. There is still a ton of market share available before this is ever a problem. I guess things will just have to grow and adapt, as they naturally would over the next few decades.

I recently visited some larger US cities, and Europeans cities, and I was surprised that there was very few or almost none EVs
parked in residentials areas. The streets were full of costly luxury SUVs, so it was not the cost of EVs
Yes, that's true. Electric vehicle adoption is still fairly slow. There are probably some reasons for it.

but the lack of charging infrastructure blocking the spread of clean electric cars.
Well that is a huge leaping assumption with no evidence. It could be a different reason. How about these other possibilities?

(1) Lack of choice--Up until very recently there have been dinky low range compliance EVs or 3X+ the price for a Tesla. No other choices. It is just in the past year or two that there have been ANY other 200+ mile range semi-practical EVs to even consider. There are certain brands that people like or dislike to do business with, and most of the car brands just don't have a decent electric car yet.
(2) Lack of buying time--since decent EVs have just become available in the past year or so, why do you assume that absolutely everyone has bought a car within this past year and should have an electric car sitting in their driveway? A lot of people have bought those vehicles in the last 3-4 years and may still be about 4-5 years away from replacing them.
(3) Lack of seeing/inventory--People buy cars from car lots. That's what they are used to. They go there and look around sometimes to see what's out there. Maybe they know someone who works at a dealership, so they hear about the current models of what they have. Well, it's well known that most auto dealerships HATE electric cars and won't stock them and won't talk about them and won't show them to people. So how are people going to find out about them to try to buy? They will buy something the salespeople are showing them.
(4) Lack of advertising--Have you seen any commercials for an electric car? Maybe? Per each commercial for an electric car, how many hundreds of commercials for gas cars? People's buying habits are influenced by ads, despite their protests otherwise. You don't see electric car commercials, you don't think about them, and probably won't think of it when you make an impulse car purchase on some Saturday.
(5) Lack of production--The other auto makers are only making a few thousand of their EV models per quarter, and Tesla is not up to making tens of millions of cars yet, so where would people get these cars? Again with them not being advertised and not on car lots.
(6) Inertia/fear--People stay in what is comfortable and don't like change or trying things that seem new and different. People go to the same restaurants over and over. They buy the same brand of food at the grocery store. They continue to buy the same brand of tennis shoes. They've had no complaints or problems about buying gas cars for the last few decades of their lives. It does what they expect it to do and has no surprises, so why should they try something very different that might have some unusual adjustments to it. It has things about it that they don't understand, and why should they have to learn several new things just to drive a car. I can get another Chevy, and everything will be just as comfortable as it has always been. While people are comfortable with what works, they do not feel a need to change to something different or unusual. That's just the way people are.
(7) Cost--You're saying they have fancy expensive cars, so it's not a cost issue, but it kind of is in a different way. If the U.S. would stop idiotically subsidizing the cost of gasoline, making it so artificially cheap, then maybe this could change. All-in, gasoline should cost about $5-$6 a gallon, like the rest of the world. So operating their fancy cars should really cost more, and as long as they are being subsidized to be kept artificially low, they will not have the motivation to try something different that really should be cheaper to operate.
(8) Different lack of choice--I already mentioned about not a lot of brands having EVs. Tesla could be a good choice, but they just don't have much of a selection of vehicle types yet. They only have about 3 to choose from, and they are not that different. I know a lot of people who need to have a truck, and Tesla doesn't have one yet, so they are out. A lot of people want a big SUV, but when my wife saw the falcon wing doors of the Model X, she said, "Those are RIDICULOUS! I would never get one of those!" And the rear seat headroom in the Model S is terrible. The Model 3 may be too small for some people. So a Tesla isn't always the right choice for everyone. Different cars have different features, and people may want certain features that aren't quite there in a vehicle that's right for them yet.
(9) Fear of buying a car over the internet--This one is way outside of the comfort level for a lot of people. They don't feel very good about buying a car without the chance to sit in it, test drive it, go home and sleep on it, test drive it again, talk to the spouse about it, bring them for another test drive, etc. That's not the Tesla way, and a lot of people won't buy a car that way.
(10) Actual lack of nearby service or fear of lack of service. The nearest Tesla service center to me is still about 340 miles away. I'm OK with that, but do you know what a tough sell that is for most people?! That is quite a risk, for people to think that if their car has a problem or stops working, they could be without it for weeks. That is totally unacceptable to people. It's not very likely, but people don't like the fear of things that could go badly.
(11) Fear of buying a really big/expensive item from a "startup" company--Tesla is still considered a startup infant in the car world. I still run into plenty of people who know almost nothing about them. A lot of people think that is way too much risk to spend tens of thousands of dollars on an item from a company who hasn't established themselves and might not even be in business in a few years.
(12) FUD fears--I still see people who are not haters themselves, but they have "heard from people" that those electric cars burst into flames and are dangerous. They can electrocute you if you plug them in. They will set your house on fire. Tesla is bankrupt and about to go out of business. Etc. etc. People hear so much negative stuff about Tesla, it stokes a lot of fears and makes people unwilling to take the risk.
(13) Slower on traveling--I hear this one endlessly. Even though travel use cases are like 5-10% of people's actual driving use, you would think it's all anyone ever does. Contrary to your assertion about lack of infrastructure, even in these cases where the infrastructure IS THERE, a lot of people are unwilling to have the patience for any extra time while traveling. It is just a fact that recharging a battery can't be as fast a pumping liquid fuel, even with really good high power charging stations. It's a little tradeoff, but for many people, it's the end of the world, and they will not tolerate it. My wife's sister has vowed that she will never get an electric car, because of the longish charging stops on the trip that they took from Boise to Portland, a route that is fully covered with Superchargers.

There. I just gave you 13 reasons that could be hindering EV adoption other than your baseless assertion that it is just because of lack of infrastructure. Open your mind a bit to other possibilities.

In large cities, we really need to install low cost charging stations everywhere where 'the vast majority of people'
who have their car parked 80% of the day could have their car plugged without needed to move their car
while working or been at home taking care of their family life.
Why do you think really large cities are where this matters? I already pointed out how over half of the households in the U.S. are regular houses. House prices are much cheaper in smaller cities and more affordable for regular people who could have home charging easily. So why do you not think that matters very much? Have you thought about the rate of car ownership per person? A lot of people who live in the center of really large cities don't even bother to own a car. They have pretty good public transit systems that are workable almost all the time, along with a little bit of taxi and/or renting a car a few times a year. In much of the smaller cities throughout most of the country, public transit is pathetic to almost nonexistent. Car ownership is practically a given for almost everyone, but home charging is pretty easily done there too, since they don't have much of the high rise condo types of situations that dense urban cities have.

Anyway, this has been interesting.

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and bxr140
I'm sure many students, staffs, and faculties would be interested getting an EV (may be not a Tesla bt may be a used Leaf instead...)
just to commute to save both on gas cost and also to save the planet.

Actually, it'd be better in the case of UC Berkeley for more people to use public transit (or in general just not drive private cars). I don't know if you're familiar with the campus, but it's in a urban environment. 6,000 parking spots is nothing...the student population is in excess of 40,000 (not sure how many staff and faculty there are). A lot of students live within walking distance to campus or take public transit, and when I was a student, we were actively discouraged from bringing a car. So yes there's a good point to the article...UC Berkeley should have more EV charging, but most students don't drive to campus anyway.

My impression is that the City and the University (two separate entities, by the way, who don't always agree on things) would rather that there be fewer cars on the streets, regardless if they are EVs or ICEs.

Bruce.
BS EECS '91, MS CS '93, PhD CS '96, Go Bears!

bmah is exactly right. There is absolutely no way Cal would encourage more cars be driven to campus. They, and the City, want just the opposite, and both do everything they can to make it more difficult to drive. Public transport (AC Transit and BART) are the much preferred choices.

small nit: Berkeley's transport office claims that they have two EV chargers. (yeah, I know, minor detail)

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah and Rocky_H
...and generally don't buy brand new $50,000+ cars! Jeez. Most of car sales in the U.S. every year are used cars. Guess what young people first starting out are going to be buying? Yeah--it's not a $50,000 car. It's more like a $5,000 car. So no, they probably won't be the people buying new electric cars and needing charging.

You do realize that new EVs become used EVs real fast, right? In my area, used Chevy Bolts can be had starting at about $20,000, and used Nissan Leafs from about $10,000, based on a quick search on cars.com. Prices will continue to drop as these cars age. Without adequate public charging infrastructure, many apartment-dwellers can't buy such EVs. This will distort the market for used EVs, causing their prices to drop compared to gas-powered cars, which in turn affects buyers of new EVs when they choose to sell their no-longer-new cars.

It's true that many other factors are bigger barriers to EV adoption at the moment; but there are enough EVs floating around on the used market that we as a society need to begin paying more attention to public charging options so that they can be viable options for people who don't have private garages or driveways. IMHO, the issue isn't pressing on a societal level yet, but it will only grow with time, and if city planners don't begin to address it, we'll be stuck with a growing problem and no good solution in a few years. Then too, that seems to be how we do everything in the United States....

I'm not surprised. I went there for a couple years and regularly heard folks complaining about technology not moving fast enough, yet rarely implemented anything new. :D
Then again, agreeing as some people imply above, I wouldn't have been able to afford an electric car as a student anyway. The college was robbing me blind on tuition. Gee, for that matter, I could only afford a bicycle back then, not any kind of car o_O
But hey, a great education so maybe I got my money's worth.

Last edited:
You do realize that new EVs become used EVs real fast, right?
Sure, that will become more of a thing in the future, over the next few years, but this was in the context of looking right now and being distressed that EVs aren't pervasive. We're not really there yet with the used EV market. Which again gets to my point about how the past few years have only seen some few thousand of any non-Tesla EV models sold, so there just aren't that many.

In my area, used Chevy Bolts can be had starting at about $20,000, and used Nissan Leafs from about $10,000, based on a quick search on cars.com.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't treat those as the same thing. Very few people have the dedication to the cause and tolerance to put up with the limitations and stress of an 80 mile range car, period. The Bolt--sure--some people will accept that as a reasonable practical vehicle. There are a few of those out on the used market, but not many and not all over the country, since it has only been out for about 2 years. And sure, as the Kia Niro and the Hyundai Kona, etc. have been on the market for a few years, then you will start to see some of them getting over to the used car market in the $10,000 to $15,000 range, but they just came out like this year! We are not there yet, where they are widely available for cheap where you would expect to see a lot of them on the street already.

Bottom line is there is still 6000 spots, and I doubt that they sit empty every day. So 6000 spots=6000 cars. Not saying encourage to drive to campus, but is sitting on ones hands an option? UC Berkley is not taking away the parking are they? So they will be there till they are no longer needed.

Didn't see the words suggesting free in the OP's comments.

I park my car in a downtown setting all the time away from my home that has charging. Festivals and concerts. My car is literately just off the the town square in a scary dark alley. Never had an issue with vandals. But I will keep my eyes open and my sentry on.o_O

Budgets in many public settings are spent or they are lost. My guess is someone will call for a construction project to tear down a perfectly good something. Then build a parking deck. Happens all the time at our local universities. Always construction. Tuition going up, endowments nice and fat.

Convincing college or university to have chargers installed even trickle seems like the real battle. Have the meeting talk about the extra cost for 500 electrified spots and wait. It is a hard sell, because it involves looking to the future. Right now we look at parking lots. I just looked out at the office I am visiting today. 3 EV's today. Leaf, my S, and a 3 in a parking lot of more than 200 cars. One can show the graphs and talk about EV adoption growing. Boils down to vision and $. Do you have it? Will you spend a little more? Then hope it isn't viewed as the bridge to nowhere that costs the suggester their job.

All the other topics spoke in the thread seem just to go back to EV adoption and its trials and tribulations of which there are many.

Might start at 5 spots. Like our small town school here did. They put in a new building and added them in surrounding new parking decks. For pay. Next school might be 50. Some day maybe 500.

UC Berkley is not taking away the parking are they?

Actually, yes, they are 'taking away parking' spots with practically every new construction project. On/near campus parking has been declining for years.

And truth be told, the lot where the two existing EV chargers are located is scheduled to be demolished, and replaced with grad programs and offices. While some underground parking will be continued, not sure how many spots or if they'll move the EV chargers there. Regardless, any replacement lot won't open to students.

That being said, it is rather strange that the Admin has not contracted with one of the national EV charging services to install some chargers in the few available public lots. UCB could take a % of the charging fee.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Actually, yes, they are 'taking away parking' spots with practically every new construction project. On/near campus parking has been declining for years.

And truth be told, the lot where the two existing EV chargers are located is scheduled to be demolished, and replaced with grad programs and offices. While some underground parking will be continued, not sure how many spots or if they'll move the EV chargers there. Regardless, any replacement lot won't open to students.

That being said, it is rather strange that the Admin has not contracted with one of the national EV charging services to install some chargers in the few available public lots. UCB could take a % of the charging fee.

People who park at UC Berkeley tend to have to park a long walk from where they will be during the day. And the lots get crowded quick. Thus, once someone parks their car, they won't be moving it until they leave for the day. This isn't a place where folks can park at a charging space and then move their car once it is charged. And people don't have assigned parking spaces, so its not like you could guarantee that a driver would be able to use/find a charging space on a daily basis.

• Informative
People who park at UC Berkeley tend to have to park a long walk from where they will be during the day. And the lots get crowded quick. Thus, once someone parks their car, they won't be moving it until they leave for the day. This isn't a place where folks can park at a charging space and then move their car once it is charged. And people don't have assigned parking spaces, so its not like you could guarantee that a driver would be able to use/find a charging space on a daily basis.

Yeah, I get that, but UCB does have several hourly lots for visitors. They could easily install some EV chargers in those. Of course, for the reasons you note, these chargers would not convenient to employees who park all day.

My suspicion is that its not worth the hassle to install the EVs even in the hourly lots, which fill up by 10 am. I have no doubt that once a lot becomes full, and the only spaces left are EV spaces, an ICE will park there. And then UC Parking gets the hassle of towing it...

And this brings up the issue of shoddy journalism. Instead of an attempt of 'gotcha' story, why didn't the author just call up UC Parking and inquire why they have not installed any EVs and let them tell their side?

• Informative