Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the multiple angles confirms it's real. The debris on the road, the damage above the right rear tire, and the cars pulled over ahead in one of the pics suggest an accident. But nothing to indicate that it was a crazy accident like in Mexico and I don't think we can get away with another "pole-vaulting" explanation.

post-29949-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-dwE9.gif

This isn't good. Should've sold my TSLA before earnings and bought back today. :S

I considered selling this morning but my wife talked me out of it and I was happy I didn't sell. Had nothing to do with ER, it was the over reaction and I thought I would be able to buy back lower. When I saw this I sold, pretty sure I will get tsla on sale, and I'm an uber bull on tsla. This is going to be ugly.

This changes a lot, as the first one was "freak", 2nd one was 100+MPH through concrete walls and into a tree.. but this... I sure hope in a few years we aren't driving the 21st century Delorean.... hard to get service on a car when the company is out of business.. $100k paperweight, etc, etc

I share your concern but doubt it will be the next Delorean or a 100K paperweight. It will affect the stock price. WE can only hope the driver/occupants are OK and that the cause is logically explainable.

I will continue to drive my S. The Govt crash test videos and other accounts of the S protecting it's occupants will have me happy to put my wife and child in it.

I will have to review my stock strategy though.

Sorry DaveT: Put my two cents in before your post. You are right. This is the time to gather info.

Last edited:
Yes, the multiple angles confirms it's real. The debris on the road, the damage above the right rear tire, and the cars pulled over ahead in one of the pics suggest an accident. But nothing to indicate that it was a crazy accident like in Mexico and I don't think we can get away with another "pole-vaulting" explanation.

From the damages that the Model S got in the front side it looks a severe accident anyway. Big amount of kinetical energy involved in the accident so that the battery pack has been hit heavily and caught fire.
If nobody got hurt to me the situation looks good for the Model S and her battery pack.

From the damages that the Model S got in the front side it looks a severe accident anyway. Big amount of kinetical energy involved in the accident so that the battery pack has been hit heavily and caught fire.
Do we even know if the battery pack caught fire or is that the base assumption for every Model S fire? I'm not even sure what caught fire in the previous accident in Mexico (it was put out fairly quickly from the video, unlike the first fire that was hard to put out and reignited).

How do we know the damage is from the collision and not the fire?

Do we even know if the battery pack caught fire or is that the base assumption for every Model S fire? I'm not even sure what caught fire in the previous accident in Mexico (it was put out fairly quickly from the video, unlike the first fire that was hard to put out and reignited).

I would say a battery fire is the base assumption, although the front right is where the 12V battery is.

Last edited:

I meant "in the worst case that the battery pack caught fire". Of course if from the investigations it will come out that the battery pack didn't even catch fire it would be better.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer. My comment was regarding the stock price itself not the safety of the car. I actually considered buying my model S since I have cash now! Regardless of the explanation, the true store will take 2-4 days to come out, in that time I'm happy to sit on the sidelines.

It also looks like front damage only so it's still "safe", but if this becomes a consistent pattern they'll need to make a design change. Oh, and don't put anything valuable in the frunk.

The crashing in the front side of the Model S is evident. IMO it's the other way around. The crashing is the base assumption.

Sorry, I meant the battery as the source of the fuel for the fire, not as the initial cause. I edited my other post to include the post I was responding to so it makes more sense.

But my point was it's hard to say what the severity of the initial collision was after it's been burned up like that.

Last edited:
It also looks like front damage only so it's still "safe", but if this becomes a consistent pattern they'll need to make a design change.
Do they really? I mean if a fire is inevitable, having only the front burn is certainly more desirable than having the whole car burn (esp. the passenger cell). Without more details I'm not comfortable saying there is a design change needed.

It also looks like front damage only so it's still "safe", but if this becomes a consistent pattern they'll need to make a design change. Oh, and don't put anything valuable in the frunk.

I am not an expert of Mechanichs, but my friends at the School of Engineering attending Civil Engineering always told me that a compressible structure absorbs better the kinetical energy rather than a rigid structure.

is it just wishful thinking or does anyone else think that may be Photoshopped? seems unlikely, but take a look at the photo in larger format. kind of looks like the car has no left side, no roof, no windshield on the left side. where the roof and windshield should be, you see grass in the back ground. if that is real, that car has been nearly flattened on the left side.

I too am curious what the effect folks thing this will have on TSLA, assuming this is not a prank.

looking at the other picks, it does look real, but how weird, must be some kind of optical illusion or the left front side is severely altered from the accident or from emergency response.